DIY Backyard Putting Green Part Two

EBannermanS

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have admittedly not been active on this forum for a few months now, but felt that I owed it to the community to create this post since my inspiration for building a backyard putting green came from another member here - Misike. He was even helpful after the post in that we exchanged private messages a couple times to discuss a few particulars. I'm posting this so that others that may be interested in doing the same can reference or reach out for any help. I certainly learned a lot along the way. First and foremost, it was harder than I expected it to be. :) I'm a pretty handy guy, and this was no simple task. I'll try to go step-by-step and add pictures where I can. If anyone has questions, please don't hesitate to ask. And thanks again to Misike for the inspiration and help! Enjoy!

1. I was getting my backyard graded and re-sodded, so I decided it was the right time to clear some area in the corner of the yard that I could dedicate to building my putting green. The cleared area is in the middle of the below picture, and it backs up the woods behind my house.

3QHPEpb9ZjgtH9Gv5
3QHPEpb9ZjgtH9Gv5
IMG_4278.jpg

2. I used a rope to decide the general shape that I wanted my putting green to have, and then I started to dig out about a 6" hole by hand with a shovel. This was a MUCH larger lift than I was expecting going into it. I imagine that the Georgia red clay had something to do with it... The previous homeowner used to use this area as a garden bed, so there were also tons of roots in the dirt that had to be removed, as well. This process took me a couple of weeks since I couldn't do it all at once.

IMG_4284.jpg
IMG_4402.jpg

3. Once I had my hole dug to the size and depth I liked, I put down some weed block fabric on the bottom of the hole and begun to move by shovel & wheelbarrow 6 cubic yards of "crusher run". That equates to roughly 16,000 lbs of rock and sand. The delivery arrived around 3:30p and by 8:45p I had moved it all into the hole. I rented a plate compactor from Home Depot ($80 per 24 hours) to compact all of the base layer. My parents live about an hour away from me, and my dad called me that evening to check in on the progress. As you can imagine, I was complaining about how sore I felt from the day's work, so he offered to come help the following morning. I wasn't going to ask my 67 year-old father to do manual labor, but I certainly wasn't going to turn him down if he was offering.
IMG_4408.jpg
IMG_4409.jpg
IMG_4410.jpg
IMG_4411.jpg

4. The next morning, I had 3 cubic yards of "M10" or granite sand delivered to the house, which would make up the top layer of the surface. The area that I had cleared for the green was about 22 ft. x 18 ft. On the long side, I had about 8" of slope and the short side had about 4" of slope. I certainly wanted some undulation and slope in the green for a number of reasons (including drainage), but I definitely wanted to make it less severe. Therefore, we had to add more material towards the back left part of the green in order to bring it closer to level. We raked the M10 as smooth as we possibly could before bringing the compactor back in. We wanted to find any little hills/valleys/inconsistencies so that it would be as clean of a roll that we could get. After spraying it down pretty good with water, my dad compacted the top layer.

IMG_4414.jpg
IMG_4415.jpg
IMG_4417.jpg

I'll continue this in the next post...

looking good so far. This is a dream of mine someday. Might have to do it and hope the wife doesn't notice.

Fun......work....but fun. I hope someday........

Very interesting. Great pics and detail.

5. Once we had the surface in a place that we liked, we used a lawn roller to go over the entire surface a number of times in order to get it as smooth as we possibly could, with no lines from the compactor whatsoever. We used spray paint to outline exactly where we planned to put the putting green turf.
After that, we decided on the hole locations and dug out those areas to install the cups. You have to be pretty precise with the top level of your cup, as it should stick ever so slightly above the surface so that the putting green turf has something to surround.

IMG_4419.jpg

6. We laid out the putting green turf and cut it to shape with a carpet blade. We started to secure the turf to the base with 4" galvanized spikes around the outside edge of the turf. The skies then opened up, so we were forced to stop for a bit. At this point in time, the project took a slight detour, as a tree in our yard got struck by lightning and it blew out some electrical circuits and ruptured the gas line to our fireplace (among other things). The rest of that story (which is still ongoing) will have to be saved for another thread. To make a long story short, the storm was so bad that the base surface on the areas that will be the fringe were exposed and got a bit messed up since we didn't have anything covering it. The surface below the putting green was totally fine. I woke up early the next morning and fixed the base around the fringe areas, so wasn't too big of an issue. After securing the rest of the turf, I started to cut out the fringe pieces to line the outside edges of the putting green (with the carpet blade again). I cut the inside edges to be exactly in line with the green and then secured the inside edges with 4" spikes.

IMG_4423.jpg

7. Once I had all of the fringe turf laid down and cut to the inside edge, I used some sidewalk chalk to shape the outside edge and cut it with the carpet blade accordingly. I then secured the outside edges of the fringe with the 4" spikes and had to seam the pieces of fringe turf together with seam tape and turf adhesive (followed by more spikes)

IMG_4425.jpg

8. I then cut out the holes VERY carefully, as this would probably be the area most likely to be noticed if I screwed up. I put a little infill in the fringe turf, but I need to get more. The putting surface is nylon and doesn't require infill, but the fringe turf is poly and definitely requires infill in order to make the grain stand up and protects the backing from any sun damage.

IMG_4431.jpg

9. I added some weed block and pine straw around the outside edges of the green just for aesthetics. I want to do more landscaping around the area to make it look nicer, but I'm not in any hurry. I need more infill for the fringe, too, but otherwise I think I'm done here. Overall, I'm very happy with the result. I spent under $2K on the project, but probably saved about $7K by doing it myself. It's not easy at all, but definitely rewarding once finished. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions if I can be of any assistance to anyone else thinking about doing it on their own.

IMG_4443.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4442.jpg
    IMG_4442.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 11
That looks awesome! I miss having one. It really did help make my putting a lot better.

What a lot of work but man that looks fantastic! Really well done, I'm extremely jealous.

That is giving me very bad ideas. You have to stop that. ?

Looks great man!!

Excellent job!!

Well done! That came out very nice!

Fantastic job and thanks for the step by step breakdown of the process. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicely done! thanks for sharing

This is really cool! Cant wait to see the finished product!

Very well done!!!

Great work! Hopefully someday I'll stop dreaming about doing something similar and make it a reality.

Well done. I wish I had a house to do this.

Superb I love the self builds you must have a real sense of achievement once finished

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Looks great! Enjoy the fruits of your effort and lower your cap by sinking more putts!

Great work! it looks fantastic!

That looks absolutely fantastic.

I think a number of us are saying "One day..." when viewing this job well done.

looks great, well done

I assume you make the decomposed granite the same height as the grass around it. Part of my putting green will be against the grass, is it OK to have a bit of the turf over the grass or what does that connection need to look like?

Last edited:
Back