Why would anyone pay full retail for Callaway clubs....

Grand Stranded

Keep grinding… you never know
Reaction score
Handicap
Back in February, with reviews of “redacted” Rogue clubs posted in every category, I caught some minor pushback for saying I thought the Rogue lineup was a blah release. I also said I’d wait 6 months, given the current Callaway business model for it all to go on CPO, then possibly see about a 3 wood. Well,here we are, and right on schedule, the entire lineup is on Preowned. This has been going on for a few years now, and if I realize how this goes, I’m sure I’m not the only one. I look forward every year to the Grand Daddy guys giving glowing reviews, then sort the wheat from the shaft. This year it was the fairways, last year the Epic driver, the year before the Apex CF-16 irons. I have, or will buy Callaway products, but always 6 months after release brand new, at a large discount. It makes me wonder why anyone would pay full price for any Callaway club(s).

After hitting Frank's Rogue last weekend I really wish I had bought it when it came out. I missed out on months of playing a better driver and considering that has been one of my issues I could have been shooting lower scores.

Back in February, with reviews of “redacted” Rogue clubs posted in every category, I caught some minor pushback for saying I thought the Rogue lineup was a blah release. I also said I’d wait 6 months, given the current Callaway business model for it all to go on CPO, then possibly see about a 3 wood. Well,here we are, and right on schedule, the entire lineup is on Preowned. This has been going on for a few years now, and if I realize how this goes, I’m sure I’m not the only one. I look forward every year to the Grand Daddy guys giving glowing reviews, then sort the wheat from the shaft. This year it was the fairways, last year the Epic driver, the year before the Apex CF-16 irons. I have, or will buy Callaway products, but always 6 months after release brand new, at a large discount. It makes me wonder why anyone would pay full price for any Callaway club(s).

*Repost*

Interesting question and probably deserves it own thread.
I understand where you are coming from based on golfing 12 months a year however if bought Rogue Irons now, I have only 10 - 12 weeks left of my season.
Not enough time to really get to know how they work, let alone play them in less then optimal conditions - Cold and Windy. I might as well wait until Feb/Mar 2019 and skip this years clubs.

Unfortunately us living above the Mason Dixon line really can't wait for the CPO pricing to kick in plus the fact there is no fitting that goes along with the CPO product.

I'll agree that Callaway preowned is great and I have bought some good stuff from there.

As for new I bought a few things this year that weren't on there. It's true that I could have waited and bought used, but I wanted to play that this season that weren't available otherwise.

couldn't this question be asked about pretty much any consumer good subject to release cycles? golf clubs, cars, electronics, etc? why is it specific to callaway?

couldn't this question be asked about pretty much any consumer good subject to release cycles? golf clubs, cars, electronics, etc? why is it specific to callaway?

Yes, yes it can. The simple and most obvious answer is because they can.

Your feedback is always the same... Why would anyone buy new, when you can get a discount 6 months later? Why is everyone else, not as smart as I am?
The answer is that I don't know what drives the early adopters to purchase equipment at the time of release. What I do know is if the early adopters didn't purchase at the time of release and waited, your brilliant idea of getting a discount on CPO would be nonexistent, because you are buying clubs that were purchased early in the release cycle on CPO. Instead of questioning the early adopters intelligence, maybe you should be thanking them for trading in their clubs for you to purchase?

Yes, yes it can. The simple and most obvious answer is because they can.

purchases like these are more emotional than they are utilitarian. and when emotions are involved, people don't need practicality to justify a decision.

i honestly don't understand the point of this thread? :confused2:

So you bank on the reviews and the returned product of the early adopters, and then question their intelligence?
Fair enough.

Sounds to me like a symbiotic relationship where everybody gets what they want in the end.

Callaway is unique, I think, in the golf industry. They are the sales leader, and they have their fantastic Preowned site. Take a look at Taylormade, Titleist Ping, and Cobra clubs that were released this year. They can’t be found at the kind of discount Rogues are. TM always catch’s the flak, but the M3 and M4 lineups aren’t being discounted anywhere the way Callaway is discounting the Rogue lineup on CPO.

So you bank on the reviews and the returned product of the early adopters, and then question their intelligence?
Fair enough.

Sounds to me like a symbiotic relationship where everybody gets what they want in the end.

I might have been unclear in what I meant by separating “wheat from chaff” I understand the quality of golf equipment, and the advantage of getting reviews. I also understand because of said quality and the GD opportunity, it would be poor form to knock their products. What I was referring to, is the “star” every company’s release seems to have. In one case it might be the driver, in another a hybrid, or maybe an iro set.

I know TGW does not offer custom spec options (shaft, lie angle, oft etc...) for pending discontinued models. Maybe less custom options availability is a possible reason for paying full retail price ?

I might have been unclear in what I meant by separating “wheat from chaff” I understand the quality of golf equipment, and the advantage of getting reviews. I also understand because of said quality and the GD opportunity, it would be poor form to knock their products. What I was referring to, is the “star” every company’s release seems to have. In one case it might be the driver, in another a hybrid, or maybe an iro set.

I know every few months post similar and thats cool, but anybody that has ever been to a THP Event, including the Grandaddy, has been told by both THP and the companies involved, HONEST FEEDBACK!
In fact at the Odyssey Event this year, Sean Toulon spent over 30 minutes talking about the importance of honest feedback and how it makes them better.

Callaway is unique, I think, in the golf industry. They are the sales leader, and they have their fantastic Preowned site. Take a look at Taylormade, Titleist Ping, and Cobra clubs that were released this year. They can’t be found at the kind of discount Rogues are. TM always catch’s the flak, but the M3 and M4 lineups aren’t being discounted anywhere the way Callaway is discounting the Rogue lineup on CPO.

Unfortunately this is not accurate.
Cobra just did their discount.
Ping released later.
Titleist Pro V1 just had buy 2 get 1 free.

Every brand has sales and promotions. You are comparing Callaway Pre-Owned to retail discounts, which is not the same.

The beauty behind retail purchasing of any item from any brand is that early adopters get what they want and when they trade them in (if that takes place), you can then get what you want. Seems like a pretty symbiotic relationship.

Valid point and I agree with you, I think where the OP lost me was with the why would anyone pay full price, and concept hit it out of the park, to maximize the time with something when it was "new tech"

Your feedback is always the same... Why would anyone buy new, when you can get a discount 6 months later? Why is everyone else, not as smart as I am?
The answer is that I don't know what drives the early adopters to purchase equipment at the time of release. What I do know is if the early adopters didn't purchase at the time of release and waited, your brilliant idea of getting a discount on CPO would be nonexistent, because you are buying clubs that were purchased early in the release cycle on CPO. Instead of questioning the early adopters intelligence, maybe you should be thanking them for trading in their clubs for you to purchase?

We can't all be as smaht as you Dax

Not every shaft/length/lie combination can be found on CPO. If you're looking for something specific, and you're one to get a fitting, you might never find what you're looking for.

As for feedback from events - I think we've seen guys be frank about what has/hasn't worked for them after many events, as JB said. I've never, ever, felt like I was being pressured to give glowing feedback at an event I've been a part of where equipment was provided.

That’s because the M series is still on the shelf in the wrapper while the rogue is actually being bought, tested, played and either returned or kept in the bag. Sunday was the first person I’ve played with since the M3/4 were released that actually had one in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know every few months the same thing pops up, but anybody that has ever been to a THP Event, including the Grandaddy, has been told by both THP and the companies involved, HONEST FEEDBACK!
In fact at the Odyssey Event this year, Sean Toulon spent over 30 minutes talking about the importance of honest feedback and how it makes them better.
The last thing I wanted this to become was about the validity of reviews on this site. I read them, trust them, and have asked members here for their options before making purchases. I didn’t mean for one poorly structured sentence to take it there, and hope that will stop. This is a thread meant to ask why people don’t simply wait to take advantage of the opportunity Cpo provides. Thankfully, so far some here see that, and aren’t focusing on the “reviews” aspect.

I was coming in here to post pretty much the same thing. Some people like to buy new and shiny right away, others wait for deals. To each their own.

That’s because the M series is still on the shelf in the wrapper while the rogue is actually being bought, tested, played and either returned or kept in the bag. Sunday was the first person I’ve played with since the M3/4 were released that actually had one in the bag.

Nice answer, but far from fair. Do you feel the same about the other manufacturer’s I mentioned, and their releases...

So your experience must be true nationwide! Taylormade is garbage, Callaway rules!!!

Now what's odd, when I teed it up with Ron down in Florida, he was the first person I've played with that had a Rogue.

Unfortunately this is not accurate.
Cobra just did their discount.
Ping released later.
Titleist Pro V1 just had buy 2 get 1 free.

Every brand has sales and promotions. You are comparing Callaway Pre-Owned to retail discounts, which is not the same.

The beauty behind retail purchasing of any item from any brand is that early adopters get what they want and when they trade them in (if that takes place), you can then get what you want. Seems like a pretty symbiotic relationship.

JB nailing it right on the head.

So your experience must be true nationwide! Taylormade is garbage, Callaway rules!!!

Now where did I say that?

Back