Tiger vs Phil on PPV

I think the PPV decision is incredibly tone-deaf. Golf already fights the image of being an elitist sport. Now you have the biggest 2 players of the last 20 years playing a head to head match, which is a great chance to get more eyes on the game of golf, and you are going to make people pay to watch it? Terrible decision. Let Callaway or Taylormade or Nike etc help sponsor it, and pump in a ton of commercials before you make people pay for it.

A spectacle brings curiosity. Purchase or not, curiosity.

I honestly think this brings more curiosity.

I don’t think the elitest sport side of things carries over here only because look at the other sports on PPV, which were dying and still got a ton of eyeballs.

I'll buy. And I'll have all my HS golf kids over to watch.

A spectacle brings curiosity. Purchase or not, curiosity.

I honestly think this brings more curiosity.

I don’t think the elitest sport side of things carries over here only because look at the other sports on PPV, which were dying and still got a ton of eyeballs.

We'll see. I think they are over-estimating their value and the attraction of this. I mean look at this thread alone, which is full of diehard golfers, and 90% of us have already said we won't be paying for it. That's not a good sign for them. Maybe I'm wrong, but its definitely not how I would have handled it.

If I am free when it’s on I’ll be at a bar watching it.

Absolutely NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No and it's not even close.

We'll see. I think they are over-estimating their value and the attraction of this. I mean look at this thread alone, which is full of diehard golfers, and 90% of us have already said we won't be paying for it. That's not a good sign for them. Maybe I'm wrong, but its definitely not how I would have handled it.

It’s not the die hard golfers, as you said they have to grow. Most here would skip any golf viewing to play.

What a joke .

The whole thing was premised on the fact it would be out of their own pocket so they would actually try and it would hurt if they lost.

Lame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PPV is a deal killer for me. Hopefully PGA Tour, some network, etc. takes it on to promote golf to the masses.

It’s not the die hard golfers, as you said they have to grow. Most here would skip any golf viewing to play.

Right but you think non die-hard golfers, who are the ones the game/sport/industry should want to connect with to help grow the game, are actually going to pay for it? I mean if this were me I'd have it streaming on FB and Twitter like PGA Tour Live is doing, paid for by sponsors. The more people you can reach the better.

Having said all that, I find PPV infuriating all together with the cost of cable these days anyway, but that's for a different thread probably.

Right but you think non die-hard golfers, who are the ones the game/sport/industry should want to connect with to help grow the game, are actually going to pay for it? I mean if this were me I'd have it streaming on FB and Twitter like PGA Tour Live is doing, paid for by sponsors. The more people you can reach the better.

Having said all that, I find PPV infuriating all together with the cost of cable these days anyway, but that's for a different thread probably.
I think alot of people will for the same reason non boxing fans bought the McGregor Mayweather fight. Tiger is huge in the sporting world and it will be water cooler talk come Monday.

Tiger vs Phil on PPV

I honestly do. Kind of like boxing.
Now with that said, if I were golf, I would have gone the digital social route through Amazon or Twitter. Go younger, go cord cutters, make it interactive.

But I can’t expect golf to ever be future thinking

If this flops, what will the Tour do then? Fire their Marketing Director?

I think alot of people will for the same reason non boxing fans bought the McGregor Mayweather fight. Tiger is huge in the sporting world and it will be water cooler talk come Monday.

You definitely might be right. My guess is it won't do as well as they think/hope it will. But I've been wrong many times before.

I honestly do. Kind of like boxing.
Now with that said, if I were golf, I would have gone the digital social route through Amazon or Twitter. Go younger, go cord cutters, make it interactive.

But I can’t expect golf to ever be future thinking

I guess that's why I find it so frustrating. I thought this was a great opportunity to help grow the game/get more eyes on golf, and I think they are kind of blowing it. It's going to be a long time before we have another golfer like Tiger, who can draw the eyes to the game that he can, and he's only getting older, and finally agrees to do something like this, and we want to severely limit the audience? Ugh.

If it’s PPV, what are they going to do with all the dead time? I figured there would be a lot of commercials I could fast forward thru. But if it’s 140 shots in 4 hours this going to be a snooze fest. Or will it not be live?

If it’s PPV, what are they going to do with all the dead time? I figured there would be a lot of commercials I could fast forward thru. But if it’s 140 shots in 4 hours this going to be a snooze fest. Or will it not be live?

140 shots? I highly doubt there'll be that many even if they play stroke play.

They will probably be mic'd up so they can talk to them as they are walking down the fairway in between shots. Very similar to the old Skins Game.

It will be a joke regardless IMO

Absolutely not.

Sure will. Take my money

If i can spend $30-50 on golf balls i can spend it to watch Tiger whoop on Phil.

No way!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Not watching. I’ll be on the beach sipping rum and cokes.

I wasn't intending on watching even when I thought it was free...

I wouldn't pay to watch it at that price point, but I have never paid for a pay per view event anyway. If it was $20.00 bucks or less then I might consider it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back