Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I love the pros and by no means am even close to a "player" good swings are rewarded with nice high drop and stop shots. Miss it and you pay some, not as bad as pure MB'S but they let you know.

I don't want to give the impression that you can't drop and stop with the CF because you certainly can. I was able to stop even the long irons

I love the pros and by no means am even close to a "player" good swings are rewarded with nice high drop and stop shots. Miss it and you pay some, not as bad as pure MB'S but they let you know.
Play what you like! Very few people are "players", but if the looks/feel/extra spin are more important to you than a little more forgiveness, go with the pros

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There's going to be a good number of people that will play the Pro's over the CF. and that's not to say they shouldn't. Someone who wants more spin and shot shaping will prefer the Pro's over the CF. For me it was 100% the forgiveness these clubs offer over any distance gains I may see. Players that are better ball strikers than I may not need all of that and fall in love with the feel of the Pro's. Both are fantastic sets just the cf are better fit for me

I guess I stated it poorly, but I was just thinking that I know I'm nowhere near the player (and ball striker) that many of the Grandaddy guys are, so it's a no-brainer for me. Don't even have to think about it, just try the CF16s

I don't want to give the impression that you can't drop and stop with the CF because you certainly can. I was able to stop even the long irons
#witness

I love the look of them and the last 2 rounds were 79 and 81, most of that is from hitting greens and the putter waking up after a 2 month nap. Having and getting used too the recoil 110 is a big help also. I am still not seeing the distance I did with the BS J15Df but I just pull the next club up and it is working out.

This was true for me too. I had a few 7 irons that just stuck the green and did not move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was true for me too. I had a few 7 irons that just stuck the green and did not move.

I too was seeing more spin than I am accustomed, and I was wondering what to attribute the spin during the Grandaddy...
The new Chrome Soft ball (a nicer ball than i'm used to playing)
new cf16 irons/MD3 wedges
Immaculately kept and very receptive Hideaway greens.

This is very true. With a CF16 8 iron I had the ball stop about 6" from the pitch mark, and I'm not usually a high spin player.

I pulled a 7i into a green back 6 feet today, it was glorious....

Even though it cost me a GIR hahahaha

I pulled a 7i into a green back 6 feet today, it was glorious....

Even though it cost me a GIR hahahaha
Just padding that putts per round number thats all lol

Oh Apex how I've missed you. I've been gaming the Z545's for the past year and I didn't think anything would knock those out of the bag & these have done that. That isn't Grandaddy speak either. I really enjoyed my time with the OG Apex and really didn't know how they could improve on them. Well Callaway did that. The CF16's from top to bottom are solid and the decision to place the CF in the longer irons was pretty genus IMO.

Another thing that has me sold on these irons are the long irons. The distances i'm seeing from the 5-7 are gapping perfectly at the top of the bag. The 7i is not "too long" to cause an issue between it and my 8i. I have always hated hitting a 5i, more mental than anything else, but the few times I hit the 5iron today I made great contact and the ball seemed to jump off the face. On a par 5 I left myself 259 for my second shot, I pulled the 5iron wanted to get 190 or so out of it and leave me with 70-60 yards in. Granted I put a good swing on the ball, but it jumped off the face, held its line and when it was over I had 48 yards into the green. Now that probably isn't going to be a normal 5i for me, but its good to know that with a good swing it will perform as advertised.

Feel with irons is so subjective. I don't like to use "buttery" or "Soft" because quite frankly i'm not good enough to tell. What I do know that feel at impact is solid. For those that have hit the OG Apex, these have a similar feel if not better. Compared to my Z545's they are neck and neck.

Aesthetically these set up well. While not a "players iron" (I hate that determination) it's a compact head IMO. I know I keep referencing the Z545 line, but its a line that has some similarities with set up and looks. The finish is holding up well after three rounds and reminds me of the original Apex in that sense.

Performance wise these irons have a ton of technology packed into the small profile. Others have mentioned it, but the stopping power/ability with these irons is there. I know a lot of that is on the way a player strikes the ball, but an iron in this category with the ability to consistently provide "one hop and stop" (what i'm seeing) or the ball pulling back on approach shots with longer irons is impressive. It provides the confidence to fire at pins knowing you're going to see minimal roll out. Trajectory is also subjective based on each player and the irons fit for them, but the Recoil 780's I have in these are providing a nice ball flight.

Overall i'm sold. Honestly it wasn't that hard because gaming the previous edition Apex's I was chomping at the bit to get a crack with these. I'll have more thoughts as I play more rounds, but confidence is there in spades with this set and I'm loving it.

Based on all the feedback in here I want to hit these. But that price tag is so steep that I may be better off not knowing how good these are until they come down to a reasonable price! I can't do $1200 for a set!

Hitting frozen range balls not recommended lol. Joking aside I definitely prefer the look and feel of the pros. If only they had this satin finish... what is hard to give up on the cf is how easy it is to launch the long irons in the air. The peak height I saw out of 4,5,and 6 irons were amazing

Hitting frozen range balls not recommended lol. Joking aside I definitely prefer the look and feel of the pros. If only they had this satin finish... what is hard to give up on the cf is how easy it is to launch the long irons in the air. The peak height I saw out of 4,5,and 6 irons were amazing
Would you consider a combo set with the cf16 long irons and pro scoring irons? Would the difference in finishes bother you?

Would you consider a combo set with the cf16 long irons and pro scoring irons? Would the difference in finishes bother you?

Look at his WITB lol

That's what I have now. 4567 cf, 7 89pw pro. The differences in finish doesn't bother me a bit

Look at his WITB lol

That's what I have now. 4567 cf, 7 89pw pro. The differences in finish doesn't bother me a bit
Tapatalk is killing me without the signature... haha. Glad to hear you like the set! You give any apex hybrids a go, or did you find the Cf16s forgiving enough?

Tapatalk is killing me without the signature... haha. Glad to hear you like the set! You give any apex hybrids a go, or did you find the Cf16s forgiving enough?

The cf 4i is easy to hit but I'll be bagging 2 3 and 4 apex hybos. They are incredibly good

Got out this morning for a soggy round, out of all my clubs in the bag these were the stars today, the Indian could aim the arrows a little better but they feel so good. I hit these all over the face: center, toe, and high on the face and saw minimal losses. What I really enjoy is I actually question the toe shots until I look at the face, they feel so much stronger out there than my previous clubs. They seem to be weighted well, I don't feel twisting to be as drastic on toe shots, and not that penalizing of distance. It's an awesome thing to have that confidence in the bag. The MD3s were a close second today, but the CF16s stood out, I'm going to love these more and more!

I as well got out for that same soggy round, only caught some drizzle in about 5 holes. Really liking these more every round. Actually thinking about ordering the 4 iron. I'm going out again tomorrow with the proto chrome softs and see how they perform with these.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Took these out for 18 today on a rain soaked course. Likening these more and more each round I get with them. Really enjoying the forgiveness in these. Hit some thin shots and one off the toe again today. Same results, minimal distance loss and not much off line. These clubs feel great when struck well. I am loving the A wedge. I couldn't miss a green this club today, whether it was full shots or 3/4 shots.

Took these out for 18 today on a rain soaked course. Likening these more and more each round I get with them. Really enjoying the forgiveness in these. Hit some thin shots and one off the toe again today. Same results, minimal distance loss and not much off line. These clubs feel great when struck well. I am loving the A wedge. I couldn't miss a green this club today, whether it was full shots or 3/4 shots.

The A wedge is probably my favorite iron of the set

The A wedge is probably my favorite iron of the set

Yeah. It is so solid. I liked it in the old Apex's as well, but feels like I can't hit a bad shot with this one if try.

I ordered my set today. Im really looking forward to getting these in the bag

I ordered my set today. Im really looking forward to getting these in the bag

Cool. Can't wait to hear what you think about them.

Back