Anyone here 5’6” or 5’7”

Sp.campbell

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been playing regular length shafts for years. Although this year I have hit a plateau in trying to lower my Hcp and then started to creep back up. Through chance and wheeling and dealing clubs I ended up putting a Tour AD shaft in my back up 3 wood and it is playing about 1.5” shorter. I have been playing around with it lately and I have lost 10yds off the tee but can’t miss with it, even if I come out my shoes on the blocks. And from the fairway my distances are up as I am way more consistent.

Since this I have been experimenting with my irons and wedges and now I am choking down everything.

Out of curiosity I checked on line to see it there were some info for club length for a person of my height. I found a few tabular charts and most are suggesting .25” to .5” shorter.

I should add that in my slow decline I was constantly taking huge chunks (still ahead of the ball, but huge none the less) and couldn’t figure it out. Even tho I was still hitting the ball in the down swing, because it was so deep the forward wedge was hitting the turf about the same time as my face hits the ball slowing it down.

So who out there at that height has went through this and cut down their clubs? I will be getting a fitting in the off season but every time I hit a lie board it looks great, I hope the fitter has other ways to assess length indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been playing regular length shafts for years. Although this year I have hit a plateau in trying to lower my Hcp and then started to creep back up. Through chance and wheeling and dealing clubs I ended up putting a Tour AD shaft in my back up 3 wood and it is playing about 1.5” shorter. I have been playing around with it lately and I have lost 10yds off the tee but can’t miss with it, even if I come out my shoes on the blocks. And from the fairway my distances are up as I am way more consistent.

Since this I have been experimenting with my irons and wedges and now I am choking down everything.

Out of curiosity I checked on line to see it there were some info for club length for a person of my height. I found a few tabular charts and most are suggesting .25” to .5” shorter.

I should add that in my slow decline I was constantly taking huge chunks (still ahead of the ball, but huge none the less) and couldn’t figure it out. Even tho I was still hitting the ball in the down swing, because it was so deep the forward wedge was hitting the turf about the same time as my face hits the ball slowing it down.

So who out there at that height has went through this and cut down their clubs? I will be getting a fitting in the off season but every time I hit a lie board it looks great, I hope the fitter has other ways to assess length indoors.

I'm 5'7 and when I got fitted for my MC set, My clubs are now 1/4 inch short. I got one length Irons so I still choke down on my wedges.

I’m between 5’6-5’7. I play 1/2 choke on all my club. I don’t cut them I just choke down. I also had lie angle flatten 1.5* and PW and wedges 2*.
Compare to standard length I might have lost 5yds or less but I flush hit more often choke down.
Try choke down and see what happens. You be surprise what you might find. I think longer shafts promotes higher flight for me.
Also few lead tapes works wonder if you feel head is too light.

I’m 5’8” and I play my irons 1/2” short

5'5" and play everything 1/2" short. Irons are 1 degree flat currently. Every time I try to play regular length I get burned.

Enjoy the new found accuracy :D

JM

Thanks very much for everyone’s feed back!! Really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

I am convinced based on your responses that I will be shortening them and probably have to flatten them! I will play the rest of the season choking down then a fitting with a chopping in the off season!!

I really am a decent ball striker but struggle to break 80, I believe this will be the key! (No 3 putts last round!)

Also just noticed watching the Northern Trust where all the pros grip their clubs in relation to their hips. Wow, their hands are quite a bit lower then the average players hands on the public courses.

Thanks very much for everyone’s feed back!! Really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

I am convinced based on your responses that I will be shortening them and probably have to flatten them! I will play the rest of the season choking down then a fitting with a chopping in the off season!!

I really am a decent ball striker but struggle to break 80, I believe this will be the key! (No 3 putts last round!)

Just a suggestion, but before you go changing lie angle, take the time to use some impact tape with a fitter to really check impact.

Don't be too quick to flatten the lie. I am 5'6" and while Ping "static" fitting would indicate 2 degrees flat, when going through "dynamic" fitting I am actually .75 degrees upright. I have never had an issue with regular length irons or woods. I play the G400Max driver at 46".

5’7” here. Depending on the brand either stock length or 1/4” short and 2 degrees flat

I believe standard length clubs are an ideal fit for player's in the 5'6" to 5'9" height range. Specifically, this physical height allows the player to adopt a comfortable posture. Conversely, players at 6' or taller must compensate with their posture (to fit standard length clubs) , by using either excessive hip or knee bend.
Also, LPGA players average about 5'5" to 5'7" and I've not known of any who play shorter than men's standard length clubs.
If you shorten clubs I expect you will find it difficult to get the swing weight's high enough and also a serious carry yardage decrease.
Before shortening clubs my suggestion is to take a lesson with a competent instructor. He/she will likely help you achieve the ball striking you want without shortening any clubs.

5'8". Play my irons and wedges at 1° flat to Mizuno standard specs (which is 2° flat to a lot of other OEM specs) and standard length.

I had all my clubs this year built 1" longer and 1 degree flat and choke down on them all about 1" or more. I think ive shrunk to just around 5'8" (was once 5'11").
Odd i know, but for my swing i found that it wasnt so much the length of the clubs that i was struggling with but having more control of my club further down the shaft a bit and hitting it further and more consistent.
I would just say do some trial and error with different clubs in your bag and what produces the best shot for you most consistently before you shorten and flatten them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm 5'6" in shoes, but my T-rex arms set me up to play very close to standard length and lie clubs. I play standard currently, and don't have any issues playing shot shapes in both directions.

I had all my clubs this year built 1" longer and 1 degree flat and choke down on them all about 1" or more. I think ive shrunk to just around 5'8" (was once 5'11").
Odd i know, but for my swing i found that it wasnt so much the length of the clubs that i was struggling with but having more control of my club further down the shaft a bit and hitting it further and more consistent.
I would just say do some trial and error with different clubs in your bag and what produces the best shot for you most consistently before you shorten and flatten them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you like to choke down you might try non taper grips. Tacki Mac makes one and so does Winn, probably a few others. When choking down I think non taper grips make good sense.

5' 7" and, I play regular length clubs. All of my Ping and Titleist fittings have not recommended shortened clubs. A small local custom club builder did fit me into shorter clubs, but, for now, I am playing std lie and length Titleist clubs. But, we are all different, so, if you can, go get fit for clubs, and, ask questions.

I believe standard length clubs are an ideal fit for player's in the 5'6" to 5'9" height range. Specifically, this physical height allows the player to adopt a comfortable posture. Conversely, players at 6' or taller must compensate with their posture (to fit standard length clubs) , by using either excessive hip or knee bend.
Also, LPGA players average about 5'5" to 5'7" and I've not known of any who play shorter than men's standard length clubs.
If you shorten clubs I expect you will find it difficult to get the swing weight's high enough and also a serious carry yardage decrease.
Before shortening clubs my suggestion is to take a lesson with a competent instructor. He/she will likely help you achieve the ball striking you want without shortening any clubs.

Looking at the PING site, since they list detailed specs for their pros, a number of the LPGA players are listed as playing shorter than standard length clubs. From 0.25 short to 0.75.

Nice to see a solid contingent of my vertically challenged brothers on the forum. 5'6 here and I play -0.25" and 1 degree flat. It took a lot of trial and error to get to these numbers where I'm most comfortable at so I would suggest to save yourself the time and money and just get fit if you have the opportunity. I have messed with length and lie for way longer than I should have.

5'7", I play stock length and 2* flat.

Yes, I am of average (5’6”) and getting shorter by the minute. I have always played standard length with lie angles adjusted to either 1° or 2° flat.

I think I’m going to have to take a look at where the using standard length is a disadvantage.

Good thread. Appreciate all the responses. Great info

All great feedback!

Out again tonight chocking down on everything and hitting that 3 wood that is 1.5” short and everything is just so flush!

Defiantly won’t cut anything until a fitting and won’t adjust lie either until after that. Too bad there are no outdoor fitting joints in my area. I don’t think a lie board will do me justice.

What I have been doing. Instead of choking down .5” or a set number. I have been placing the club on the ground, face aligned at the target. Then let the hands hang down in my athletic stance and grip where ever they land. Sometimes it’s a full inch and feels great!

5’7” and i used to play pings at red dot, 1/2” short. O now play mizunos at standard LLL withe better results. I think static msmts are just s starting point in a proper fitting.

I am in the 5'6"-5'7" range. I started experimenting a few years ago with shaft lengths on all my clubs. I play my driver in the 43.25"-44", my 3 wood at 41" and my putter at 31.5". My irons have took more time to figure out. I finally went the route of unusual. I found I hit my 8 iron the most consistent. So I left that length the same and went with 1/4" increments instead of 1/2" or whatever standard is these days. I then met with my local pro and adjusted the lies accordingly. I actually went the route of slightly flat lies with the 4-6 due to a flatter swing, standard lies with the 7-8 irons, and slightly upright with the 9-PW due to a steeper swing. I still struggle with my long iron swing path but I have never hit the center of the face more consistently.

I would definitely wait to adjust the lie angles until your fitting as you may need upright lies if you have a steep swing.

On a side note, it is nice to see plenty of shorter fellow like myself!

Us short s***s have to stick together!

I'm unique. 5'8" and I play 2* upright and 1/2" long in my irons while driver is 45".

Back