Looking for Help making a Driver Decision

ketron10a

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
OK Fellow Hackers help me out here!

The little lady has decided to give me an early birthday present, but I can't decide between my two top choices! So This is a money isn't an option scenario (Yah I know...I am lucky)

I recently attended the Dicks Sporting Goods Open and had the Callaway guys fit me into a new driver:

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9* with a PX Even Flow Blue 75 Stiff shaft.....was hitting this on the launch monitors about 265 consistently with a big bomb registering 287. Liked the club and it felt a bit better than my current Cobra F7 driver and 15-25 yards longer

ORRRRRR I can take what I learned about my spin rates between the Rogue and Rogue SZ heads and buy the

Cobra F8+ with the same PX Even Flow Blue 75 Stiff shaft. This option has a few kickers...first off its cheaper by ALOT (unless I buy the Volition blue camo edition). Additionally, I now have the option to switch between the new Even Flow shaft and the HZRDUS Yellow 75 in my current F7 driver as I am pretty positive the shaft tips are the same. Giving me the ability to real deal experiment with 2 shafts. The only downside here is there is no where close to me to demo this club or set up so I'd be flying blind and praying I hit it as well if not better than my current one.

Any thoughts? I have read reviews and watched countless videos. I just can't make up my mind. :bulgy-eyes:

If the fitted SZ is giving you the numbers you want, then go with it.

Sounds like a coin flip to me and not a bad choice which ever one you choose. Only downside I see is not being able to demo the other club.
I had good luck with a Epic SZ, so I would say go Callaway.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either head but I would stick to what I know works and get the Callaway.

the f8+ is getting rave reviews by the morgan cup guys. i went the f8 and am still trying to get confident with it. but if you haven't hit the 8+, and know that the rogue was giving you great numbers, i would say to stick with it.

the f8+ is getting rave reviews by the morgan cup guys. i went the f8 and am still trying to get confident with it. but if you haven't hit the 8+, and know that the rogue was giving you great numbers, i would say to stick with it.

Im a cobra fan boy....I love my F7 and I hear the 8 is even better. That's why its such a torn decision for me. I feel like a traitor.

Im a cobra fan boy....I love my F7 and I hear the 8 is even better. That's why its such a torn decision for me. I feel like a traitor.

8 is better than 7. If the F8/8+ fits your game it's awesome. Sub Zero for me had too little spin, was hard to control dispersion.

Get the club you know the works for you the SZ...besides, the Cobra being cheaper is not even a factor since you threw out "money no issue" in the decision.

:)

Get the club you know the works for you the SZ...besides, the Cobra being cheaper is not even a factor since you threw out "money no issue" in the decision.

:)

well its not an issue for me haha...but you know how it goes down the road "I just bought you a $____ driver" haha

I've hit the Rogue SZ 9* with Evenflow blue and couldn't get enough spin. The Evenflow shaft is really nice though. I'm pondering a F8+ and LST both higher lofted as I've had good success in low spin heads with enough loft. I think you should go with what you were fit for assuming it was a proper fitting. Good luck in your search.

Two great companies, two great products. In situations like this I think it comes down to price and certainty that the one you pick is going to work for you.

If you were fit and it works go SZ - but that Volition Blue is amazing. Gotta go with looks.

yes i have heard f8 is better than f7 as well. f8 has been a little erratic for me, but i would definitely love to try an 8+.

That's a tough one. The money difference would play a huge role in it for me, especially having a shaft already to switch in and out. If you think it might perform for you it might be worth going that direction and see the results. You could always sell it down the line and look for a used Rogue.

That's a tough one. The money difference would play a huge role in it for me, especially having a shaft already to switch in and out. If you think it might perform for you it might be worth going that direction and see the results. You could always sell it down the line and look for a used Rogue.

That is a valid point. Where’s Morgan freeman to tell him he’s right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm.. you just got fit into a new head/shaft configuration that produced results. You are considering buying a different driver head that you haven't hit, so you can potentially swap in a different shaft from your current driver which doesn't produce the results you want.

unless you are a total Cobra fanboy, this decision is a no-brainer....

I tend to play a driver with which I can strike consistently straight shots. My tee box preference is accuracy more so than distance.

Like most have said, you got fit into one with great results, let's not make this too difficult!

I've never been properly fit but I think you have to go with their recommendation if they are a respected fitter and you're comfortable with it. I don't really trust an indoor fitting off a rubber tee.

I've never been properly fit but I think you have to go with their recommendation if they are a respected fitter and you're comfortable with it. I don't really trust an indoor fitting off a rubber tee.

That’s more what this was by the Callaway staff. But we tried multiple heads and shafts. Perhaps some pipe time to ponder....
7b93c0c3814d262889ff91b42415b330.jpg

That’s more what this was by the Callaway staff. But we tried multiple heads and shafts. Perhaps some pipe time to ponder....
7b93c0c3814d262889ff91b42415b330.jpg

When you say multiple heads do you mean multiple companies heads or just different Calloway ones?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

I'm a Cobra fanboy and was just fit into the F8 with a custom shaft. That having been said, to me a fit driver is a fit driver. You can't be sure that either shaft will produce the best results for that Cobra head without testing it, but you can be sure of the results for the driver you were fit to.

When you say multiple heads do you mean multiple companies heads or just different Calloway ones?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Just diff Callaway ones. But I was quite happy with it. I think I’m just gonna go rogue.

Back