New Nike Tiger Woods Commercial

I find this commercial a bit creepy.

I agree with GolferGal, I think it's a bit creepy using a deceased father's voice during a man's private life scandal to help promote their product. For me, totally a turn off.

Re: New Nike Tiger Woods Commercial

I wouldn't be surprised if Earl didn't sell the rights to his voice and image to Nike.

More likely is Tiger owns that and gave or sold permission to Nike for this commercial.

It's not the first time I've seen or heard Earl in a commercial.

I thought the ad was brilliant, and accomplished several things in a mere 30 second spot...

By simply airing this ad, Nike shows the general populous that they are fully aware of Tiger's tribulations, and they aren't hiding it either. You can see camera's flashing representing Tiger's never ending presence in the public eye, yet all the while, his expression reflects shame and inner turmoil of a man who is suffering internally as an outcome of his own actions. There is no closer relationship than that of a parent and child. Even when a child makes mistakes, no matter how bad, a parent is there to advise, comfort and support. I'm sure there have been times in this mess when Tiger would have liked to have his Dad here for that simple reason, while many in the media were tearing him apart. He doesn't have that luxury anymore, so in essence this ad says, at least to me, that Nike is saying "It's ok Tiger, we understand, and we still support you".

I have never been a Tiger fan prior to any of this. Respected the guy, and often times sat in awe of what he could accomplish, but never pulled for him to win anything. Once the dust settles from all of this, that is probably going to change. IMO, he's shown that he is only human, and has flaws in his character just like every one of us. The more I see the guy get shredded by the talking heads, the more I like him. I look forward to seeing how he rebounds from this.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Mandela
i'm seriously mind boggled about this ad. advertising is my profession and i'm just not sure who/what benefits from this ad. no company spends that kind of money without expecting some sort of return and i'm just not sure what nike's selling in the ad. seems to me like a way for tiger to say sorry without having to say it himself. his pop would be rolling in his grave.

Nike is going to benefit from this ad. The mere marriage of their logo and Tiger's face is enough to accomplish what they're looking for.

I wasn't too sure what to think about it the first time I saw it, so I watched it again. I have to say that I don't disapprove of the commercial. I didn't find it creepy, I would rather say I found it haunting instead. Haunting but not necessarily in a bad way. I am a little confused about what the overall message relating to Nike is, but overall, I have to say I kinda like this commercial. I think it's necessary that Nike comments on this. The general consensus is that Tiger screwed up, but at the end of the day, he is still a great golfer. I think this sort of echoes that sentiment. But that's just my opinion.

I don't see how this commercial is good for his image?I can't stand it and it makes me cringe every time it comes on.It's stupid and lame,JMHO.
Don't get me wrong,I have nothing against his golfing talent,he is the best golfer at this time of age. I'm not a fan of his persona and unsure if he can repair that image,only time will tell

I had been wondering for months who was going to be the first company to air a Tiger ad again and how would they do it. You have to admit, its a tricky thing to figure out. I don't think Nike is necessarily trying to sell anything. I think this is the ultimate icebreaker. I bet if we heard from the creators, we would all feel foolish for calling it anything but brilliant. BUT, until then, I would describe it as "bold".

I don't see how this commercial is good for his image?I can't stand it and it makes me cringe every time it comes on.It's stupid and lame,JMHO.
Don't get me wrong,I have nothing against his golfing talent,he is the best golfer at this time of age. I'm not a fan of his persona and unsure if he can repair that image,only time will tell

I agree with you. The commercial aired a couple of times on TGC last night and I changed the channel as soon as it started. Seeing it once was enough for me. I hope Nike pulls it soon.

The ad is jsut trying to present that he is not trying to forget, or hide the incident

The part of the ad that ... bothers me the most is Tiger staring into the camera. It creeps me out, kind of like a sexual predator mugshot. (He's obviously NOT a sexual predator, so no fan boy comments please).

I might have actually liked the ad if he was contemplatively sitting on a golf course bench or something similarly humble.

I like it. I lost my mother a few years ago and have done things that I feel would shame her. To me, this commercial speaks volumes because, as I watch it, I can hear my mom talking to me and saying the same sort of things. Maybe they are just trying to hit certain emotions to sell more crap, but maybe Tiger agreed to it because it shared his heart. To me, Tiger is a character with a story and the commercial portrays an emotional part of that story of what could possibly be going through his mind. Whether or not it is genuine makes little difference to me because I feel Tiger's (or his character's) pain and I relate it to my own. Whoever thought of this idea is a genius IMHO.

The part of the ad that ... bothers me the most is Tiger staring into the camera. It creeps me out, kind of like a sexual predator mugshot. (He's obviously NOT a sexual predator, so no fan boy comments please).

I might have actually liked the ad if he was contemplatively sitting on a golf course bench or something similarly humble.

I agree. I like how they had his dad's voice as his conscience, but the stare is kinda creepy.

I wasn't too sure what to think about it the first time I saw it, so I watched it again. I have to say that I don't disapprove of the commercial. I didn't find it creepy, I would rather say I found it haunting instead. Haunting but not necessarily in a bad way. I am a little confused about what the overall message relating to Nike is, but overall, I have to say I kinda like this commercial. I think it's necessary that Nike comments on this. The general consensus is that Tiger screwed up, but at the end of the day, he is still a great golfer. I think this sort of echoes that sentiment. But that's just my opinion.

Agree 100%. I liked the spot, and I agree with your assessment of it. I certainly don't see where anyone gets anything creepy out of it. I see it as capturing a moment of reflection on the current problems and how they relate directly to an earlier counseling session with his father. It only stands to reason that everyone who has been blasting him for the last several months would latch onto this as just more ammo in their arsenal. I think that there is more to it than just pure publicity.

I'm still willing to give him the chance to demonstrate that he really is trying to restart his life.

i was thinking something more along the lines of a midget on a bicycle....ridng around in circles. or vegas showgirls.

but on topic. from Nike's stand point....genius. from a consumer stand point.....disgusting. at any rate....everyone was already talking TW nonstop...this just adds fuel to the fire.

To risky that Tiger would try to take them home.

Their commercial seems to work great. They were yapping about it on WEEI, one of the large sports radio stations out of Boston; I saw stuff about it on Yahoo. So plenty of free traction.

I figure they wanted something that people would consider to be 'deep' and have something that would cause people to try to read a meaning in. ANything sort of light or even vaguelly funny, would have been torn apart by the masses.

That ad is the ultimate in bad taste. What sort of morals do the marketing guru's at Nike have? Let's advertise our products off the back of a multiple adulterer using his transgressions as the hook!!! Unbelievable.

That ad is the ultimate in bad taste. What sort of morals do the marketing guru's at Nike have? Let's advertise our products off the back of a multiple adulterer using his transgressions as the hook!!! Unbelievable.

I have to disagree. I don't think Nike's morals are in question. TW is a powerhouse when it comes to Nike. They have built their entire line on Tiger's accomplishments. To ignore him would be to turn their backs on the man that has and most likely will continue to make them millions. They can't simply ignore Tiger, but at the same time they can't support what he did. I think that this commercial marries the two together quite nicely. Yeah, you screwed up, but now is the time to make it right.

I think they were aiming for some sort of deep commercial that might even be moving too but completely missed the mark. Tigers dad was a great idea, Tigers creepy look not so good.

certainly a strange commercial to say the least, but the got what they wanted out of it, people are talking about it everywhere!

I have to disagree. I don't think Nike's morals are in question. TW is a powerhouse when it comes to Nike. They have built their entire line on Tiger's accomplishments. To ignore him would be to turn their backs on the man that has and most likely will continue to make them millions. They can't simply ignore Tiger, but at the same time they can't support what he did. I think that this commercial marries the two together quite nicely. Yeah, you screwed up, but now is the time to make it right.

This is complete hypocrisy. First he asks that his private life is respected and he is given space. Then he uses his private life for a Nike Ad. What an idiot.

As I watch him now I'm cringing as I see him doffing his cap and making the effort to grin at the crowds, it's smarmy and insincere.

This is complete hypocrisy. First he asks that his private life is respected and he is given space. Then he uses his private life for a Nike Ad. What an idiot.

As I watch him now I'm cringing as I see him doffing his cap and making the effort to grin at the crowds, it's smarmy and insincere.

You bring up a good point. However, I don't think that the commercial does not delve into his life more than Tiger has already indicated to the media. Nothing new is shown here. It's been long said that Earl Woods would not have approved of his son's actions if he were still alive. This commercial echoes that sentiment.

Whether or not if Tiger is insincere is yet to be seen. Only time will tell how he goes down in history. Personally, I am willing to give him a chance, and we'll see what happens from there.

can I ask a question? Is there any ad that they could have done involving Tiger that you would have thought was okay? What I mean is that you have a similar perspective to me in his actions, but I think that you and I have different takes on his comeback.

This may have been said already but most of the audio from that commercial came from an interview with Earl talking about his wife not tiger. More bogus crap from a control freak. I love tiger's ability and accept him for who he is............a control freak that only cares about two things, himself and golf. Who gives a crap if he is sorry or Nike supports him.

can I ask a question? Is there any ad that they could have done involving Tiger that you would have thought was okay? What I mean is that you have a similar perspective to me in his actions, but I think that you and I have different takes on his comeback.

Ouch that sounds a little harsh! All I did was offer my own opinion and values.

In answer to your question, almost any type of ad promoting golf clubs and golf apparel using "normal" promotional blurb would be fine my me. You know, the stuff all the other companies make. Using the voice of your dead Father, talking about your sordid private life is definitely a no no in my book, call me old fashioned.......................

In answer to your question, almost any type of ad promoting golf clubs and golf apparel using "normal" promotional blurb would be fine my me. You know, the stuff all the other companies make. Using the voice of your dead Father, talking about your sordid private life is definitely a no no in my book, call me old fashioned.......................

ohhh. It was not meant to be harsh at all. We share the similar opinion about his actions and this ad, and I wanted your input. Words via typed are hard to show tone.

I think Nike had to address it and address it in this way - not just in a press release. It was the 800lb gorilla in the room so to speak. The ad had to be a bit dark in order for them to get their message across. Trust me - Nike tested this ad with the target audience before they allowed it to air and I'll bet it was tweaked many many times.

Last edited:
Back