Can you please have your putt lined and ball back on the green before its your turn?!

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
The one thing that irks me is the deliberate slow play on the greens and is among (if not the single) biggest reasons of pace issues.

Thee are a number of issues on the greens besids just the title. But starting with that one.....why must someone who is not near another who is putting wait for that person before doing anything at all. Only after the person goes does that next person line things up and place their ball. I mean when your at a 90* angle from the one putting and/or no where near interfering why not have your crap done already so that you can putt almost immediately after the first person goes?

Other things.....why do you just have to clean your ball when you know its perfectly clean or clean enough? Why cant you just leave your ball on the green when in no ones way at all? Why do you have to pick up and replace after every single putt? And do that no matter how many? Why cant you ever finish out after lag putting?

I see so many people when (lets say) all 4 are on the green and for some strange reason they just have to pick up and mark their ball. Nowhere near anyone else, and its just an automatic reaction they better get their ball and pick it up like someone is going to steel the darn thing if they dont. I mean you know when your ball is dirty or not. I mean why is that when someone is putting (the first of 4) there too often is not one single ball anywhere to be seen on the green ready to be putted? And no one else is ready? But only after the first person goes does the next then go through everything they could have done during the first persons putt.

What is with this automatic habitual need to pick up your ball regardless how out of the way from anyone else it actually is? Ive seen all 4 players on complete vopposite ends of the greens far away from each other and yet not one ball is down with the exception of the one person putting. What is with this need to only when its your turn to only then get ready and line everything up and place your ball? Try to do your walking to get a feel and loo while the first guy is doing his this way its all done when its your turn. And don't be such a putter that no one else can breathe nor move a muscle while its your turn while all your doing is lining things up and not even yet putting. get over yourself. And why must the ball always come up in the first place? Whats wrong with leaving it when in no ones way?

If there is anything that is detrimentally copied from the pros that shouldn't be its this one thing more than any other that is the most detrimental towards our pace.

So often there is misguided complaining of tee choice as for causing pace problems when that is one the least pace problematic things there is. And too often its those same people who complain of that who just waste so much time and truly hurt pace via their unnecessary putting ways and whats worse is a total unawareness that your actually hurting things.

Up to me?.....Im all for a rule that says you only get one pick up for a cleaning when first arriving and then not only cant you pick up again but also must continue putting till holed. Regardless of other lines or anything (who we kidding here). Just putt till holed and be done. Do away with ball line marks. Just make them illegal so one cant spend eternity fiddling with the lining up of the line. Once your initial ball is down you have 10 seconds to putt. if you don't like that then you should have lined up while others are going. The second person will have 10 seconds to begin to putt once the first person is holed. Etc. Efficiency as for pace is lacking enormously when it comes to putting and is the biggest of the pace detriments there is. This is also why this whole new flag rule is nonsense. That too is time consuming whether you chose not to believe that or not. Just leave it in all the time and make that the only rule.

The amazing thing is that if the group ahead got a little ahead and your group needs to do just a little catch-up, no one will change a thing even just temporarily so that your back in p[ace. . They will still go about taking all the time they need, and all the picking up and marking, and all the wated time not being ready till its their turn. Oh they will say and even agree that we need to move a little . but they will do nothing to change any part of it.

Ok my rant is over. Im ready for all the backlash.

Or go to your ball in the fairway when another guy in your group is playing his shot from the right rough, or step up on the tee box and hit it while the others in your group are looking at the scorecard, or strike your shot before spending time looking for someone else's golf ball etc...

Only thing about cleaning the ball off before you putt. How would I know if there is dirt or mud near the bottom of the ball without picking it up? I think you might be overreacting a little bit to this. Other than that I agree with most of it.

the biggest problem I could see with this is that some golfers get annoyed by any little movement from their playing partners on the greens. I'll admit I've started to slow down on the greens as I focus more on my tempo lately as well trying to get into a putting position to relieve stress on my back. I will say, in a casual round, I dont see the harm in mentioning to a playing partner that we are slowing down and need to pick up the pace. If the round has some $$$ behind it then I keep my mouth shut and do the best to focus on my game only and not let anyone else take me out of my round.

The one thing that irks me is the deliberate slow play on the greens and is among (if not the single) biggest reasons of pace issues.

Thee are a number of issues on the greens besids just the title. But starting with that one.....why must someone who is not near another who is putting wait for that person before doing anything at all. Only after the person goes does that next person line things up and place their ball. I mean when your at a 90* angle from the one putting and/or no where near interfering why not have your crap done already so that you can putt almost immediately after the first person goes?

Other things.....why do you just have to clean your ball when you know its perfectly clean or clean enough? Why cant you just leave your ball on the green when in no ones way at all? Why do you have to pick up and replace after every single putt? And do that no matter how many? Why cant you ever finish out after lag putting?

I see so many people when (lets say) all 4 are on the green and for some strange reason they just have to pick up and mark their ball. Nowhere near anyone else, and its just an automatic reaction they better get their ball and pick it up like someone is going to steel the darn thing if they dont. I mean you know when your ball is dirty or not. I mean why is that when someone is putting (the first of 4) there too often is not one single ball anywhere to be seen on the green ready to be putted? And no one else is ready? But only after the first person goes does the next then go through everything they could have done during the first persons putt.

What is with this automatic habitual need to pick up your ball regardless how out of the way from anyone else it actually is? Ive seen all 4 players on complete vopposite ends of the greens far away from each other and yet not one ball is down with the exception of the one person putting. What is with this need to only when its your turn to only then get ready and line everything up and place your ball? Try to do your walking to get a feel and loo while the first guy is doing his this way its all done when its your turn. And don't be such a putter that no one else can breathe nor move a muscle while its your turn while all your doing is lining things up and not even yet putting. get over yourself. And why must the ball always come up in the first place? Whats wrong with leaving it when in no ones way?

If there is anything that is detrimentally copied from the pros that shouldn't be its this one thing more than any other that is the most detrimental towards our pace.

So often there is misguided complaining of tee choice as for causing pace problems when that is one the least pace problematic things there is. And too often its those same people who complain of that who just waste so much time and truly hurt pace via their unnecessary putting ways and whats worse is a total unawareness that your actually hurting things.

Up to me?.....Im all for a rule that says you only get one pick up for a cleaning when first arriving and then not only cant you pick up again but also must continue putting till holed. Regardless of other lines or anything (who we kidding here). Just putt till holed and be done. Do away with ball line marks. Just make them illegal so one cant spend eternity fiddling with the lining up of the line. Once your initial ball is down you have 10 seconds to putt. if you don't like that then you should have lined up while others are going. The second person will have 10 seconds to begin to putt once the first person is holed. Etc. Efficiency as for pace is lacking enormously when it comes to putting and is the biggest of the pace detriments there is. This is also why this whole new flag rule is nonsense. That too is time consuming whether you chose not to believe that or not. Just leave it in all the time and make that the only rule.

The amazing thing is that if the group ahead got a little ahead and your group needs to do just a little catch-up, no one will change a thing even just temporarily so that your back in p[ace. . They will still go about taking all the time they need, and all the picking up and marking, and all the wated time not being ready till its their turn. Oh they will say and even agree that we need to move a little . but they will do nothing to change any part of it.

Wow, quite a rant.

Only thing about cleaning the ball off before you putt. How would I know if there is dirt or mud near the bottom of the ball without picking it up? I think you might be overreacting a little bit to this. Other than that I agree with most of it.

I agree. You only need to clean it when you get to the ball on the green, there's no reason to clean it again if you miss that putt.

You don't have to be close to be within someone's peripheral vision. Moving around while someone is putting, even if you are at a distance, can definitely be distracting. Secondly, if there is sand on the green and the ball or putter face have any sand on them, trying to stroke the next putt without cleaning off the ball can be like putting with a wet sock; the ball goes nowhere.

To me, there are a lot of other things that contribute to slow play. Among them are, if riding, how inefficient people are in the use of the carts. Another is guys who hit a bad shot, drop their head and don't watch where the ball goes. Then there are the guys who can hit the ball well but then hit one off line into the rough and have no concept of how far they hit the ball and are looking either 25 yards short of or past where the ball ended up.

I could go on and on.

I will agree that there are some things that can be done on the green, like lining up putts while others are putting. That wouldn't include any moving around or causing any type of distraction by having another ball on the ground within a persons line of sight. There are also guys who, even in a friendly, no money at stake, round insist on putting everything into the hole even after being given a "gimmie".

You seem very passionate about this topic.

But I do also find the "everybody marks the ball regardless of where it is" routine a little puzzling.

That being said--I comply with group expectations as indicated. When in Rome and all.

But when playing in my usual group no one bothers unless it is actually in the way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I used to let stuff like that bother me. Now, I am just grateful to be out on the golf course.

You don't have to be close to be within someone's peripheral vision. Moving around while someone is putting, even if you are at a distance, can definitely be distracting. Secondly, if there is sand on the green and the ball or putter face have any sand on them, trying to stroke the next putt without cleaning off the ball can be like putting with a wet sock; the ball goes nowhere.

To me, there are a lot of other things that contribute to slow play. Among them are, if riding, how inefficient people are in the use of the carts. Another is guys who hit a bad shot, drop their head and don't watch where the ball goes. Then there are the guys who can hit the ball well but then hit one off line into the rough and have no concept of how far they hit the ball and are looking either 25 yards short of or past where the ball ended up.

I could go on and on.

I will agree that there are some things that can be done on the green, like lining up putts while others are putting. That wouldn't include any moving around or causing any type of distraction by having another ball on the ground within a persons line of sight. There are also guys who, even in a friendly, no money at stake, round insist on putting everything into the hole even after being given a "gimmie".
most the time that sand situation is not a norm but more the rare. A huge amount of the times we can usually get our putts lined up while someone else is in their preputt state without being a detriment to that person. If I want to walk off my lag putt and view from the other side I will get over there in a hurry and look while the other player looks his over. If he is then ready I will wait but if he is not yet ready ill hurry back down to my ball. But honestly most of us can (as you mention) get our selves lined up with the ball on the green as others are going without distrunbing them. You do all you can do whatever that allows so that when its your turn you've already done those parts of it.

Im sorry but people need to get over themselves as for there not being a fly in the area and not just putting but even on the tees too. But the pint here is that far too many people are much too deliberate when it comes to putting and too many of them don't know how to do any part of it at all unless they have the stage 100% all to themselves and it does take far too much time. In fact the people who are much too deliberate should be the ones who try to get as much as possible done while others are going because they are the ones who need the most time. Unfortunately its usually those same people who take the most time that wont bother getting anything done before its their turn.

You know what happens too though? there are times others (and Ive done this too) sacrifice what it is they normally do just to save the extra time that other people take to do their thing. So others who are not too deliberate nor too time consuming will often rush their putts and/or things they normally need to do because of the ones who are deliberate to a detriment.

You look over to the next tee box and see a group? Do whatever you want cause it makes no difference. But you see the next hole clear for play and a group is waiting behind you? Well then stop the deliberate garbage and just putt in an efficient timely manor.

There are also guys who, even in a friendly, no money at stake, round insist on putting everything into the hole even after being given a "gimmie".

Maybe they're planning on reporting the score for handicap purposes.

You seem very passionate about this topic.

But I do also find the "everybody marks the ball regardless of where it is" routine a little puzzling.

That being said--I comply with group expectations as indicated. When in Rome and all.

But when playing in my usual group no one bothers unless it is actually in the way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I will often tell/warn people....I tend to leave my ball on a lot so just let me know if its ever in your way or a bother to you. of course I move it if I know full well its in your line. Some people just cant even see another ball anywhere near them while putting. And imo? get over yourself

I used to let stuff like that bother me. Now, I am just grateful to be out on the golf course.

most the time I feel this way too. And im not normally one who is ever a big complainer of pace. But cheeeeeze man...sometimes its just too much.

I consider myself to be very "deliberate" with every shot on the course... Although I think we have different understandings of the word. Deliberate being purposeful, or with intention, or pre-planned. I have a routine, that I will go through before every shot. That being said, not sure I'll ever be the cause of pace issues.

I agree in preparing for your putt as much as is reasonably possible prior to your turn. 100%

I disagree with not picking up / cleaning your ball. I use an alignment line, as I believe it helps me. I'm not someone who will line it up perfectly, but will align in the general direction I intend to hit, view it from 3 steps behind the ball to see how the alignment line actually points, and make note of whether or not that line is left or right of my intended line. It's a reference point when I address the ball.

Ultimately, I think if people were more "deliberate" in their actions leading up to, and around the green, i.e. thoughtful use of the cart / snagging multiple clubs when warranted / occasionally walking a few steps when your partner has the cart, the game would be much faster. The slowest groups I've played behind have been the groups that have no concept of "Ready Golf". Waiting for someone that's clearly not ready, when I could be hitting my shot would drive me nuts.

I consider myself to be very "deliberate" with every shot on the course... Although I think we have different understandings of the word. Deliberate being purposeful, or with intention, or pre-planned. I have a routine, that I will go through before every shot. That being said, not sure I'll ever be the cause of pace issues.

I agree in preparing for your putt as much as is reasonably possible prior to your turn. 100%

I disagree with not picking up / cleaning your ball. I use an alignment line, as I believe it helps me. I'm not someone who will line it up perfectly, but will align in the general direction I intend to hit, view it from 3 steps behind the ball to see how the alignment line actually points, and make note of whether or not that line is left or right of my intended line. It's a reference point when I address the ball.

Ultimately, I think if people were more "deliberate" in their actions leading up to, and around the green, i.e. thoughtful use of the cart / snagging multiple clubs when warranted / occasionally walking a few steps when your partner has the cart, the game would be much faster. The slowest groups I've played behind have been the groups that have no concept of "Ready Golf". Waiting for someone that's clearly not ready, when I could be hitting my shot would drive me nuts.

The "grabbing multiple clubs" thing is why I hate riding carts. I prefer to have my clubs on a push cart so I can take them wherever I need them short of taking them into a bunker or hazard. I hate trying to grab a couple of wedges and a putter or even just a wedge and a putter. My OCD takes over and I can't stand to lay them on the ground. Doesn't matter if it's wet. Could be bone dry, I'm propping them up on my ball mark repair tool to keep the grips off the ground.

I am with you. The people that emulate the activities of the pros without the purpose or execution...I play a lot on a course that is super short, 9 holes, lined with houses...retirement community course, $319 bucks for unlimited golf March to October. We are not talking Bethpage Black here. And I routinely see guys mark 2' putts, walk to far side, check it from both left and right...but none while another guy is putting on these greens stimping a 3.5 (exaggeration, but still...) lest their twitch cause him to miss this vital putt for a 9 including a 4-jack on the greens.

If it is an important putt...okay, take some time...but lets save 20 minutes a round (on a course you should play 9 in 1:15) by not getting distracted. There are always walkers, cars going by, people bbqing out back...you ain't that easy to distract and not good enough for it to matter, general people.

And one real courses it is magnified. Someone above pointed out...I can't really line up my putt if some mental giant is going to be distracted from their immobile ball they are going to hit toward the immobile cup. I much prefer one of the groups I play in where we are routinely holding conversations while we putt. No discernible score spike...if anything they drop.

I agree. You only need to clean it when you get to the ball on the green, there's no reason to clean it again if you miss that putt.

You might if they sanded the greens. :)

Wow great rant.

I will usually mark and check ball when I get to a green but won't mark again unless I'm in someone else's line.

Mud or a cut might not be seen if it's on the bottom.

If it's not wet I'll always grab a few clubs, I have no problem putting them on the ground they aren't made of crystal or gold.

There's alot of reasons for POP Issues and they are cumulative.

If people are ready to go when it's their turn would be #1 IMHO.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The "grabbing multiple clubs" thing is why I hate riding carts. I prefer to have my clubs on a push cart so I can take them wherever I need them short of taking them into a bunker or hazard. I hate trying to grab a couple of wedges and a putter or even just a wedge and a putter. My OCD takes over and I can't stand to lay them on the ground. Doesn't matter if it's wet. Could be bone dry, I'm propping them up on my ball mark repair tool to keep the grips off the ground.

I've always carried a white towel, which goes with me with a wedge or two and putter when I leave the cart. The towel keeps the unused club grips off the ground, and the towel is used again on the green to clean the ball, and again as a place on which to lay down the wedge grips.

Our foursome played on exactly 3:04 today from the time the 1st tee shot was struck to when we walked off 18 and got to the carts. There was no sense of rushing as the group behind us, another foursome, came in almost one hour behind us. Ready golf, doing many of the things already mentioned in this thread both on and off the green is how we are able to do it. You don’t have to compromise or rush to accomplish that kind of pace.

Just over 3:00 is very typical for us but we have the advantage of playing during the week with 2nd tee time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm....I mark and pick up my ball always. That's how I make sure the alignment line is where I want it.

Additionally, if it's windy, the mark can't blow away but if the ball does...play it where it lies.

Also, I do all of the things you say not to do and have never been accused of being slow.

d83ced7eba34f2cf13557ac5e3662f85.jpg

Last year I got teamed up with 2 guys like this since I was a single. Every single putt - mark ball, look at line, walk around other side of ball and look at line, go back place ball, 5-6 practice swings and then hit. It drove me insane and the front 9 took over 2.5 hours. I quit after 9 saying I got a text. The funny thing was I dropped more putts than both of them just by walking up seeing the line and hitting the damn ball. It’s not rocket science or The Masters for crying out loud.

I’ve played under the impression that it’s rude to leave your ball sitting there and to always mark and pick up while others are putting. Maybe it’s not I don’t know.

With that said, I do my green reading and everything while others are putting, so all I need to do is place my ball and putt.

Back