OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Up and Down (as it relates to golf).

... and go!

WARNING! This thread will quickly fill with opinions!

Having 1 pitch and 1 putt from close to the green. Can be for par on a par 4 or birdie on a 5

I consider up and down if you get out of the sand and into the cup in two shots or less.

In that thought, if you are in a trap, blade it into another trap and sink the next shot, you just had two up and downs on the same hole!

You can also consider getting up and down from greenside rough if you want. Which is actually correct I think.

Having 1 pitch and 1 putt from close to the green. Can be for par on a par 4 or birdie on a 5

Define close.

Is it not possible to get up and down for birdie on a par 4 or par on a par 5?

I consider up and down if you get out of the sand and into the cup in two shots or less.

In that thought, if you are in a trap, blade it into another trap and sink the next shot, you just had two up and downs on the same hole!

You can also consider getting up and down from greenside rough if you want. Which is actually correct I think.

I thought we called those "sandies" if you really had to label it. I guess that's just and up and down out of the sand, but it's a little more exclusive.

Define close.

Is it not possible to get up and down for birdie on a par 4 or par on a par 5?

For me, score in relation to par makes no difference. You can get up and down for a snowman for all I care.

I consider a chip, pitch or sand shot that is followed by a holed put an up and down.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Not getting a GIR, but getting par or better.

Or getting greenside in one better than GIR, in which case you're getting up and down for birdie.

For me, score in relation to par makes no difference. You can get up and down for a snowman for all I care.

Hey, now. Easy there. I don't think we're allowed to have opinions on other people's opinions. :clown:

I consider a chip, pitch or sand shot that is followed by a holed put an up and down.

What if you hole out from the bunker?

Does it count if the sand shot is from a fairway bunker?

I’m with you. A bogey golfer getting up and down more will help their score just as much as a low cap getting up and down. Imo it’s up to the golfer to determine how far out they want to go to determine up and down. For me it’s anytime I have a chip. Once I’m more into a pitch shot then I start not counting up and down

Missing the GIR, and still making par.

What if you hole out from the bunker?

Does it count if the sand shot is from a fairway bunker?
It counts from the fairway bunker.

If you hole out from the bunker I wouldn't consider that an up and down. That would be a whole out.

Not getting a GIR, but getting par or better.

Or getting greenside in one better than GIR, in which case you're getting up and down for birdie.

What about getting up and down for eagle?

Approach shot from anywhere within 20 yards of the green, followed by a made putt.

So, basically, any time you have 1 putt or less no matter the score on the hole?

Approach shot from anywhere within 20 yards of the green, followed by a made putt.

Within 20 yards of the center, front, or nearest point?

What about getting up and down for eagle?

That would imply that you got greenside on a par 5, chipped on, and then made your putt. So I don't think it's very common.

That would imply that you got greenside on a par 5, chipped on, and then made your putt. So I don't think it's very common.

Not common, but with a short par 5 and a dogleg that can be cut with a fair poke (yeah, that's technical term), it's possible. So, would it count?

Also, you're saying that U&D can only be from "greenside"?

Not common, but with a short par 5 and a dogleg that can be cut with a fair poke (yeah, that's technical term), it's possible. So, would it count?

Also, you're saying that U&D can only be from "greenside"?

To me? Yes. You miss the green with an approach shot, so you have to get the ball "up" onto the putting surface and "down" below the putting surface...that is, in the hole.

To me? Yes. You miss the green with an approach shot, so you have to get the ball "up" onto the putting surface and "down" below the putting surface...that is, in the hole.

What if I miss the green with an approach shot from 180 yards (chunked it really good and end up 170 out), then hit the ball "up" onto the putting surface and "down" below the putting surface on the next stroke? Does that count? Fits your definition.

Ok, I have to do some work now (I know... gasp!) so I'm not gonna reply for a while.

Feel free to throw out some more answers there. Don't think I'm trying to be an arse by asking so many questions. I enjoy the exercise of the Socratic method in debate. Feel free to turn the tables on me sometime, I enjoy it from the receiving end, too (that's what she said).

Back