Song Dog

Reaction score
Handicap
I have helped our schools golf program for 5 years and love every minute of it. Just seeing the kids think and get better is worth it. This year the head coach took a teaching job out if the district and I was approached to take over. I accepted and have allot to learn on this end of it lol.
If I make it fun and they challenge themselves, I'd say I'm on the right foot.

Congrats and thanks for mentoring the kids. Paging Jman. James please report to this thread.

JM

Have fun with it. I might do better at coaching golf than I did at basketball. My kids played in a league when we were in Jersey where the 2 or 3 teams made up of kids from on the base played against the local teams. It would have been laughable if it wasn't so sad. It was blatantly obvious that the refs decided those games. Even when we went to watch the championship game and I didn't have a dog in the fight, it was vividly clear to watch how the refs managed the game and the team won that they wanted to win.

After the game, I approached one of them that was notorious for his antics during the season and congratulated him on "his win". Some will say I was out of line, but what I felt was out of line was the fact that our kids entered each game without a chance of winning. It was completely demoralizing to watch them get close, then see the refs take over the game so the local kids would win. All it did was teach our kids that there was no need to try hard because they didn't have a chance and it taught the other teams that they didn't have to try because it was gonna be handed to them anyway.

Thankfully, golf isn't that way. That's one of the big reasons I love this sport. By and large, the game is built on honesty and trustworthiness. Once in a while, someone that does not live by those same virtues will excel in the game, win a tournament here and there, and maybe even win The Masters once, but the majority of the time, integrity wins.

Again, have fun!

Back