Consistently missing putts to the left

From my very layman's eye, you appear to be cutting across the ball pretty significantly. That will result in a right miss frequently, but if you get the toe closed, it's going to be a left miss.

Dave Stockton will say he doesn't care how you stroke it, as long as it goes in the hole. That is to say, you don't necessarily have to agonize over correcting your path, but you do need to make sure whatever you do you do consistently.

I am no expert, but two things I noticed.
1. Looked to me like in the second video that your weight is on your heels.
2. Do you always keep both index fingers pointed down the grip? I used to do this (right index finger only) and stopped and my putting improved. Less tension on your hands and running up your arms. It will feel weird but try gripping without doing that and see what happens.

Just thoughts that might or might not help.

2. I usually always have my fingers like that. I use a variation of the prayer grip that Paul Dunne uses. Something I’ve done since I saw him using it in the open a few years back

Sent from HTX

*disclaimer* There are many smarter than I when it comes to this stuff... So this is only my opinion. Not worth 2 cents. But I feel it might be some good thoughts.... **

So a few things....

Watching that first video.... The putter is aimed right center while the line on the ball is aimed left. No big deal if you didn't take the time to align it. But something to be aware of. If n both were aimed up, it might make it a little easier to look at for us.

What I do notice is that your putter is on the ground at the start of the swing.... But then it is hovering up to and through impact... cutting across the ball a little bit. So your lifting up slightly as your swinging through the ball. I'm guessing that leads to more of a low putter face strike on the center of the ball...giving it some loft... which possibly sends it skidding a little bit, instead of actually rolling smooth to start the roll.

Now this may work fine, as obviously your handicap shows you do quite alright with it. But as I learned with my swing, a little less loft on the putter face may help with a smoother roll.

Also, it seems you play the ball a bit further back in your stance.... So if you're cutting across the ball and lifting up a little bit, it seems that face will be a little closed and send the ball left... Especially on shorter putts where you might get a little quicker.

I'd be curious to see that putt from the side, closer up...to see if that ball is rolling off the club face or skidding a bit. I feel like there's some skid there because of the lifting up and adding loft. Trying to stay down and keep that putter close to the ground and go through the ball, with it striking it on the middle - center of the clubface, may lead to a bit of a different roll, trajectory and path.

Again, I'm a novice, but I know what I saw with my putter fitting and all the putts I made when the dew was on the greens and the decreased loft (-3.7*) made a WORLD of difference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I am no expert, but two things I noticed.
1. Looked to me like in the second video that your weight is on your heels.
2. Do you always keep both index fingers pointed down the grip? I used to do this (right index finger only) and stopped and my putting improved. Less tension on your hands and running up your arms. It will feel weird but try gripping without doing that and see what happens.

Just thoughts that might or might not help.

I used to do the same thing. I stopped doing it and I immediately improved.

I’m miss every putt to the left side of the hole.

Sent from HTX

So I looked at all three videos. You made EVERY putt on the down the line view, except for one miss right. With the face on putts, the hole was out of view, so I have no idea where those putts ended up. So talk to me. You said you miss every putt to the left side, which is not what I saw.

So I looked at all three videos. You made EVERY putt on the down the line view, except for one miss right. With the face on putts, the hole was out of view, so I have no idea where those putts ended up. So talk to me. You said you miss every putt to the left side, which is not what I saw.

Usually miss everything left. I said to my coworker as soon as the camera starts rolling I’ll drain them. Just happened that way.

Face on there was no hole. Just putting to the fringe

Sent from HTX

Couple things I saw and a fix for you. Your ball position changed with each putt. Tour stroke changed with each putt. Your back swing and follow through should be of similar lengths.

I advise a putting mirror and the gate drill. The mirror will help with consistent ball and eye position. The gate drill will get your putting stroke moving down your intended line.

Consistently missing putts to the left

Thanks panda. Gate drill as in two tees the putter has to pass thru? My putting mirror has a place for those

Sent from HTX

I’d try Freddie’s advice first but if you want to work on your face angle more, use a drill I use from my fitting at Callaway HQ.

Drop two balls next to each other and address both at same time. Make your normal putting stroke and th goal is to make both balls roll the same distance forward. If you’re open into impact then the left ball will go father while the right pushes out. If the face is closed then the right will go farther and the left will pull out left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panda, Carlos, dhartmann and other tips in this thread: worked the morning today and had some time between lessons from 12-1, I tried both of these and saw huge improvements in both start Line and consistency. Thank you guys, I’ll toss a few more videos up when I have time so you can see differences. Appreciate the feedback

Sent from HTX

Thanks panda. Gate drill as in two tees the putter has to pass thru? My putting mirror has a place for those

Sent from HTX

Yes sir!!!!

Back