Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

Thanks Colin. I assume the U grind is a much narrower sole? I just might have to play with both & see what works better for me

Thanks Colin. I assume the U grind is a much narrower sole? I just might have to play with both & see what works better for me

Yea it has a lot of the sole ground out, opposed to the W grind which basically has none of the sole ground away. These images may help, but may not as well depending on how easily you can tell the difference haha.

4b901b028930594b422461caa8f0edd9.jpg

52b93065d153d122d6eb477d3abbcd5a.jpg

I haven't used the W Grind but I do have a 64* PM Grind that I bent to a 52*. Once you get over the fact that it looks like a spatula you can really see how versatile this wedge is! I have made some unreal shots this year with it and it is so consistent out of the bunker and everywhere else. I just feel super confident with it in my hands.

Thanks man. Was this 54* bent to 52 or was it 64* bent to 62? (I'm assuming you didn't bend it 12* lol!)

Thanks man. Was this 54* bent to 52 or was it 64* bent to 62? (I'm assuming you didn't bend it 12* lol!)
Hahaha yea 62* my bad. Stupid fat fingers.

​I picked up a 54* Wide sole today and was able to get out of the Bunker so much easier than with my Mac Daddy 2 tour grind. The MD3 feels so much more solid than the MD2 as well.

Last edited:
Still am getting along with this wedge fabulously. Had a good long bunker shot as well as a good amount of 3/4 1/2 swings and the results were solid. The turf interaction is great.

(I use a 54 W)

Without going through all 41 pages of this topic, does anyone have any comments on the feel of the matte black versus the chrome finish? Are they the same or is there a noticeable difference? I prefer the look of the matte black but as a lefty they only offer a couple of lofts in the chrome finish and I've not had an opportunity to hit a chrome finish MD3. I thought the matte back 56 I got to demo felt amazing.

Without going through all 41 pages of this topic, does anyone have any comments on the feel of the matte black versus the chrome finish? Are they the same or is there a noticeable difference? I prefer the look of the matte black but as a lefty they only offer a couple of lofts in the chrome finish and I've not had an opportunity to hit a chrome finish MD3. I thought the matte back 56 I got to demo felt amazing.

Should be purely aesthetics based on my experience with the 2 different finishes in the past.

There is no difference in feel or in performance having gamed both.

46* will be ordered Monday. Just trying to figure out what shaft to order: modus 120s or DG onyx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I need help. S grind or C grind. What are peoples thoughts?

Personally I like the c grind in the lob wedge and we grind in the sand wedge. One with more bounce from fluffy lies in rough or bunker with lot of sand. Then the cf grind with less bounce in the lob so I can get the face under the ball easier if it's packed sand or tight lie

I went s grind in all 3 wedges I have. 50,54,60. Great for all types of courses.

Than you for the info
Personally I like the c grind in the lob wedge and we grind in the sand wedge. One with more bounce from fluffy lies in rough or bunker with lot of sand. Then the cf grind with less bounce in the lob so I can get the face under the ball easier if it's packed sand or tight lie

never tried c, but tried s and w in 50, 56 and 60. I really liked the s grind for full swings, and it works great for all types of shots. the w grind is pretty great for high lofted shots and high bunker shots.

go to the Annika academy and get fit for wedges there. costs some $ but they have lots of areas to test the different grinds.

Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

Tried the 52/10 out today. Loved it. My wife, who does not golf, was watching me compare the wedges. Her words were, "I think the green one is the best." Yeah - the green grip on the MD3 was the best all right. So easy to hit consistently.

never tried c, but tried s and w in 50, 56 and 60. I really liked the s grind for full swings, and it works great for all types of shots. the w grind is pretty great for high lofted shots and high bunker shots.

go to the Annika academy and get fit for wedges there. costs some $ but they have lots of areas to test the different grinds.

I have buddy out there and may just swing buy to have a chat. I just keep being drawn to these and want to see if they will work. The few times I have hit them, I've enjoyed what I saw.

I have the S grind on my MD2's and they're pretty versatile.

​I picked up a 54* Wide sole today and was able to get out of the Bunker so much easier than with my Mac Daddy 2 tour grind. The MD3 feels so much more solid than the MD2 as well.

The ATV is much lighter, especially in the head. Fine for partial shots but I had to swing too hard to get max distance and at cost of control. The weight of the md3 really promotes a down and through swing for me. Means I don't have to swing so hard.

But even being heavier, the md3 is balanced. I like that a lot.

It was just a sim round but I finally got a chance to hit Misike's MD3 60W. It's definitely a little heavier-feeling than my ATV. When I waggled the MD3 vs my MD2, I couldn't say one felt heavier then the other, but swinging the MD3 just felt easier. It was hard to describe, and I really need to see the outside results, but it just felt very solid and easy to swing - full and partial shots.

It was just a sim round but I finally got a chance to hit Misike's MD3 60W. It's definitely a little heavier-feeling than my ATV. When I waggled the MD3 vs my MD2, I couldn't say one felt heavier then the other, but swinging the MD3 just felt easier. It was hard to describe, and I really need to see the outside results, but it just felt very solid and easy to swing - full and partial shots.

Yeah, wait until you hit them outside. The simulator doesn't do them justice.

The "C" grind is supposed to be better if you like to open up the face. That is a shot I will practice but rarely have the courage to use on the course, but I love my 58-C-8. The S grind is supposed to be more versatile and since I have more bounce with my 54-S-10 I like it more in the deep stuff. But, I really love my 58 and use it as much as I can. Right now if I have any complaint with it is that I hit it too far and wonder if I shouldn't have gone 54 & 60. But both these clubs are rather new to me.

Oh, and I really love the lime green grips that came with it. We use a cart when we play so many times I'm bringing one or both these wedges along with my putter and there is no way I won't be seeing them when I leave the green.

Legitimately my favorite wedges ever I think, which is crazy for me. But dammit, going w grind on the 54 and 60 was the best move I could have made for my game.

I'm thinking I need to try the MD3. Have had the MD2 56 and 60 in the bag for a few weeks now and freaking love them.

The 56 MD2 is absolutely versatile for me, ranging from 110-115 down to green side usage.

I'm thinking I need to try the MD3. Have had the MD2 56 and 60 in the bag for a few weeks now and freaking love them.

The 56 MD2 is absolutely versatile for me, ranging from 110-115 down to green side usage.
I was a big md2 fan, these are better, shape and weighting is just a lot better.

Looking to get these in the bag but not sure what I should do. I'm thinking either 50,54,58 or 50,56,60... I don't play a set gap so the 50 will play that role.

Back