Steelfiber i110S vs C Taper S+ Apex cf16 and z545s

vFLASHv

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey THP family I need some help.

2015 has been an unforgiving year for my body lol. 2016 I'm having to come to grips that I need to change some of my work out routines if I want to continue to play golf as much as I do. Golf seems to exacerbate injuries i might not even know about.

About me, I currently play Srixon z545s with C-Tapers S+. I've typically had a high launch high spin issue through out my bag (expect maybe the putter lol) and I've been working on my swing to improve my angles etc. Even with those improvements, nothing beats the C-Tapers. But I'm having some issues with pain in my hands, left hip pain and sometimes left lat pain.

I've been thinking about getting the Apex CF 16 so this is a two-fold question. For anyone whose played the Z545s, what do you think of the Apex CF16...is it enough difference to warrant making a change or do you still prefer your z545s?

2nd part: I'm looking for feedback for anyone whose made the switch to Steelfibers. I'm concerned about dispersion, spin and launch getting to high (might just be misconceptions of graphite) but my fitter is also hesitant to put me in graphite. He's never been specific other than being "strong and young", but heck I know plenty of the guys from the Granddaddy get fit into them. Also I'm not feeling so young for a 29 year old lol.

SS with a 7 iron is about 92 mph average but I do put a lot of torque. Yardage avg is about 169-172 Launch angle is 19-20. I can hit a 5 iron into a green and the ball be 6 inches behind the pitch mark...
I'd love to hit the Steelfiber 110 first to try but they don't have it in the cart. Also I'm considering Sensicore as an option if graphite isn't the way to go

Ctaper s+ is 125g. Steelfiber 125 stiff may be good fit. Steelfiber are some of the lowest launching and spinning shafts out there. 125 stiff is plenty stout and I played those for quite a while coming from dg x100. They play very much similar to ctaper other than a bit smoother feel. Ctaper are some of the harshest feeling shafts IMO. FWIW I was fit into ctaper as well but the wrist pain was not worth it. The minor difference I saw was that the ball tend to draw more for me with steelfiber. That could easily have been swing fault though

Ctaper s+ is 125g. Steelfiber 125 stiff may be good fit. Steelfiber are some of the lowest launching and spinning shafts out there. 125 stiff is plenty stout and I played those for quite a while coming from dg x100. They play very much similar to ctaper other than a bit smoother feel. Ctaper are some of the harshest feeling shafts IMO. FWIW I was fit into ctaper as well but the wrist pain was not worth it. The minor difference I saw was that the ball tend to draw more for me with steelfiber. That could easily have been swing fault though
Steelfiber 125 stiff is where you would look. They really do feel pretty solid and alleviate some of the pain as well. Recoil 125 prototypes are also something you may have some success with although I would look at those in X with your numbers. The steelfibers play pretty stiff imo and the best results I have seen come from people that drop a flex from their normal. This is just an observation and all will be different but I would start with stiff in the steelfibers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I tried the steelfiber 95's in the CF16 and did not care for them at all. Fitter said they seemed to be a love or hate shaft.

coming from the 545s to the cf16 and only hitting them in the colder temps i am seeing similar distances to the 545s. i would venture a guess that come spring/summer the distances will go up.

i have not played steelfibers and when i have tested them I have felt they were a little stout and would need to consider dropping down in weight. iirc ddec has the steelfibers in his grandaddy cf16s and was seeing good dispersion with them. for me personally if i was going to make the switch to graphite i would play the recoils as they feel better to me.

thanks bud! This helps me a lot to know. I didn't think about the 125 but I'll maybe look into getting one of each and testing before investing. And ur right. I've loved the CTaper performance and how it kicks but after a round I feel like I've riden a jet ski lol.

thanks bud! This helps me a lot to know. I didn't think about the 125 but I'll maybe look into getting one of each and testing before investing. And ur right. I've loved the CTaper performance and how it kicks but after a round I feel like I've riden a jet ski lol.
Yeah dude. Ctapers flat out perform for me as well but my left wrist just can't handle it. If you really want to throw down an investment then take a look at matrix program f15 in the 120g. I've tried just about all graphite shafts and these perform like no other

coming from the 545s to the cf16 and only hitting them in the colder temps i am seeing similar distances to the 545s. i would venture a guess that come spring/summer the distances will go up.

i have not played steelfibers and when i have tested them I have felt they were a little stout and would need to consider dropping down in weight. iirc ddec has the steelfibers in his grandaddy cf16s and was seeing good dispersion with them. for me personally if i was going to make the switch to graphite i would play the recoils as they feel better to me.

good call. Almost forgot about Recoils. I know they have those in the cart. Good to know about the Apex's. If I go graphite I was thinking of just getting a new set of clubs.

Yeah dude. Ctapers flat out perform for me as well but my left wrist just can't handle it. If you really want to throw down an investment then take a look at matrix program f15 in the 120g. I've tried just about all graphite shafts and these perform like no other
good to know. And I know if it can handle you they are good lol. I'm just not sure why my fitter would say that with how many ppl play graphite...young and old.

good to know. And I know if it can handle you they are good lol. I'm just not sure why my fitter would say that with how many ppl play graphite...young and old.
The misnomer with graphite shafts can be ignored. Today's technology in graphite shafts is so good

Oh and how have u liked the apex cf vs the 545s? I think you had them right or maybe the 745s

Oh and how have u liked the apex cf vs the 545s? I think you had them right or maybe the 745s
I had the 745 and have the 945. The cf are good irons and I'd say they compare well vs the 545. Bit more forgiving as far as ball speed goes. Cf launch pretty high and they are long. It would all depends on what you are looking for in irons

I had the 745 and have the 945. The cf are good irons and I'd say they compare well vs the 545. Bit more forgiving as far as ball speed goes. Cf launch pretty high and they are long. It would all depends on what you are looking for in irons
Much appreciated my friend

I tried the steelfiber 95's in the CF16 and did not care for them at all. Fitter said they seemed to be a love or hate shaft.

put me in the hate category. tried 110 and 95 and got along with neither. recoils seem to be a bit more enjoyable but I haven't found anything I like as much as steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good call. Almost forgot about Recoils. I know they have those in the cart. Good to know about the Apex's. If I go graphite I was thinking of just getting a new set of clubs.

with the cf 16 the recoils (non prototype) are stock shaft and the steel fibers maybe as well.

I agree they compare well to the 545s and do launch higher. The feel isn't as soft but it's pretty good and the performance up and down and side to side is really good.

Back