Help, How do I Establish a GHIN?

Buster1

Reaction score
Handicap
9 GHIN
Help! I’m quite lost. My father asked me to establish a GHIN so I can play in a tournament with him.

Do I do this through a local club/pro shop or straight through GHIN? Is GHIN the same as establishing a USGA handicap? I can’t seem to find a simple GHIN log-in and create an account.

I’m sure I’m confused.

Thanks!

Course - for a GHIN

There are other online ones that are accepted - US Handicap

If it has to be GHIN I do mine using the online club for Missouri, you should be able to do the same here -https://snga.org/join/join-the-snga-2/
Mine costs me $25 a year, unsure what the Southern Nevada service costs. If you belong to a course they might also have a GHIN service, might even be free or cheaper.

edit----
My bad, I'm not finding an e-club signup on the SoNev page, seems there would have to be one, but I've never lived in Nevada

thegrint.com provides a 100% legal/conforming/acceptable USGA handicap if that's what you're after.

Thanks guys and thanks Daddio... I just signed up for the Southern Nevada Golf Association. They are online, but just one of 5 in SoNV that provide USGA handicap via GHIN. Plus I get a free round at a nearby course, and a magazine. I guess that might be all I need to do!

Just to round out the understanding. What you are after is establishing an official golf handicap. Since you are in the United States, you want it to be an approved USGA handicap. They are the ruling body state-side. GHIN is a service that provides USGA approved handicaps. There are other services that do so, but GHIN is by far the most well-known service. U.S. Handicap and The Grint are other services that provide this service. In theory, a tournament should recognize a handicap provided through any of these services. But I continue to hear stories of people having difficulty getting their handicap accepted if it is anything but GHIN. It's not supposed to be that way, but apparently, it is.

With any of these services, you have to join a club. You also have to post a number of rounds before you will have a recognized handicap. Again, I have heard of some tournaments requiring more posted scores than the USGA requires for a recognized handicap. But once you've posted 20 rounds you won't need to worry about that anymore.

thegrint.com provides a 100% legal/conforming/acceptable USGA handicap if that's what you're after.

This is what I use since I am not a member anywhere...yet.

I had the same issue here in Michigan. My dad invited me to play in his member-guest tournament. For about $25 I joined the Golf Association of Michigan. They are affiliated with GHIN.

Let me clarify, you do not have to join a club, you do however have to declare a home course. I used a local public course near my home as my "home course"

You will start posting rounds as either home course rounds or away rounds. You can download the GHIN app on your phone, this makes it very easy to enter your scores.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I've been lucky, I guess, as GHIN membership has either been included in any membership cost or at least offered through the course as an option, even if it is a public course.

Let me clarify, you do not have to join a club, you do however have to declare a home course. I used a local public course near my home as my "home course"

How and where do you declare a home course? I have not yet made a profile within the S. Nevada Golf Assoc...I wonder if it’s in there?

How and where do you declare a home course? I have not yet made a profile within the S. Nevada Golf Assoc...I wonder if it’s in there?
Yes, there will be a profile in there. At least that's how it worked with the Golf Association of Michigan. You will also have to create a profile with GHIN

I had the same issue here in Michigan. My dad invited me to play in his member-guest tournament. For about $25 I joined the Golf Association of Michigan. They are affiliated with GHIN.

You will start posting rounds as either home course rounds or away rounds. You can download the GHIN app on your phone, this makes it very easy to enter your scores.

I do the exact same thing. A public course near me where I play a lot of rounds is my home course, but I'm not a member (I'm not sure they even offer memberships).

Back