Titleist new TS2 and TS3 drivers are the real deal

teed-off

Reaction score
Handicap
I was invited by Titleist Canada to attend their Titleist TS Metals Launch Event held at their National Fitting Centre at Eagles Nest GC in Maple Ontario this morning. They had both the new TS2 and TS3 driver heads with a full complement of shafts available to compare to my current 910 D2. Their presentation started with a brief overview of the tech that is in the new models and then out to the range with a Titleist fitter and TrackMan gathering the data. I hit five drives with my 910 D2 then five with the TS2 and TS3 using the same shaft that is currently on my 910. The fitter pointed out that my current shaft is a very good fit for my swing and the closest shaft offering they have would be the Tensi Blue.
I was stunned by the results. On average I had an increased in ball speed by 5.1 mph and an increase in total distance by a whopping 21.2 yards! Launch angle (12.1) and dispersion remains the same for both clubs using the new PV1X balls. Sound was a solid "thwack" very similar to my 910 and not obnoxiously booming or tinny. I can't ignore the results that the TS2 gave me and I believe I found a new driver that will finally retire my 910D2. Pre-order will be available in a couple weeks and there is no doubt that I will have a TS2 on ordered with delivery in early September.
Do bear in mind that I compared my now ten year old 910D2 with the current TS2 technology so YMMV.

Titleist lovers out there....I think you will like this one!

That’s solid improvement

that's pretty damn good. Congrats on the invite and thanks for sharing a bit with us. Looking forward to your thoughts over time in the review thread after they're launched.

This is nice to hear. What were your carry distances? That is a great improvement.

I'm hoping that they have finally worked out the distance issue that's been lacking. Titleist Thursday's should be starting soon as well.

Similar to my boss. He picked up 17 yards on average from a TS3

Sent from HTX

Kind of hard to hear any distinct differences but .... I can't wait to hear it up close & personal. I have a Titleist Thursday on Sept 6!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your fitting @teed-off

What made you go with the TS2 over the 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice little short review and great improvements!!!!! Interested to hear your thoughts later when you get it and in the review thread.

I'm so jealous. I got the invite as well but had to work. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Hearing this is getting me even more excited for the Titleist Metal Woods event next month.

I am really excited to try these when they come out.

Definitely not surprised to see that kind of jump from the 910 to these, but that said, I believe Titleist has definitely gone all in on creating something distance wise that will compete with everything else on the market and no longer hang its hat on accuracy alone, and that is exciting. Awesome you found something that works so well and I can't wait to hear updates when the time comes.

i want to try these in a bad way

Really looking forward to seeing more on these.

Compared to the 910 of 8 years ago, I hope you see more launch, less spin, more forgiveness, more consistency, and more distance. I have not liked the look of the last iteration. Did own a 910.

That's great to see such an increase. I've always enjoyed hitting a Titleist driver but they have always been lacking in the distance category and kept me from gaming one. That would be huge if they could close that gap.

That will be the one driver that could have me dipping my toe in the water and possibly straying from my beloved Epic.

And it really won't be due to any hope for it being better than the Epic, necessarily. It'll be to satisfy my curiosity due to my past and great affinity toward Titleist drivers.

I'd played the 975D, J and JVS for years and then the 905T for a few more. But it must be going on a decade now since they lost me along with my interest. I can't even name the vast majority of their releases since as I just turned the ponder dial to off.

If the positive reviews prove a persistent pattern, I'm sure to give it a go.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your fitting @teed-off

What made you go with the TS2 over the 3?

Increased forgiveness with the TS2 is the reason. After spending about 45 minutes with both heads on the same shaft, frankly it was difficult to tell the difference between the two as the size, (both have 460cc heads), shape and feel are very similar. It was the increase in consistency with the TS2 that made my decision.

Definitely not surprised to see that kind of jump from the 910 to these, but that said, I believe Titleist has definitely gone all in on creating something distance wise that will compete with everything else on the market and no longer hang its hat on accuracy alone, and that is exciting. Awesome you found something that works so well and I can't wait to hear updates when the time comes.

Well stated and I agree with your comment that Titleist had to do something to try and catch up distance wise with other OEM offerings. The reason why I stayed with the TS2 is that it was a seamless transition from my 910D2 as both drivers look, feel, sound and perform so similar to me that I had a hard time differentiating the two. Anxious to see how the TS2 performs in the real world out on the course.

Compared to the 910 of 8 years ago, I hope you see more launch, less spin, more forgiveness, more consistency, and more distance. I have not liked the look of the last iteration. Did own a 910.

Yes to all of the elements you listed in your comments above. Since both the TS2 and TS3 heads are now the same size (460cc) there is only a slight difference in shape between the two. It is difficult to explain the differences here so I would suggest you have a look at them side by side when you get a chance. Have fun!

I will certainly be headed to GG or Dicks to hit them over the weekend and will be sure to report back.

Increased forgiveness with the TS2 is the reason. After spending about 45 minutes with both heads on the same shaft, frankly it was difficult to tell the difference between the two as the size, (both have 460cc heads), shape and feel are very similar. It was the increase in consistency with the TS2 that made my decision.

I agree there is very little difference other than forgiveness. I have both a 917 d2 and a d3. I have played d3 for several models. I keep trying to like d2 platforms without much success. The TS2 seems like a nice improvement to the d2, but the TS3 seems like a step back from the d2. It is, in my opinion, a not very forgiving 460 head. So, it was not for me a replacement to my d3. I think they made a mistake by losing the smaller head. If the d2 shape appeals to you then I think the TS2 is a winner, but d3 players will feel sort of left out, the attempted 460 pear shape not withstanding. At least that’s my reaction after hitting them. I quickly got rid of my previous d3s when newer versions came out, but my 917 d3 is staying in the bag.

Sound is less explosive or more solid, however you look at it. Maybe they will release a TS4 in the months ahead.

Were you fitted for your old driver? Could a lot of your gains have come from being properly fit into this club vs playing something that you had no idea was unsuitable to you?

Back