Looking for new irons but can't decide what route to go.

RMorris

Reaction score
Handicap
As the title states I'm in the market for new irons. Was recently fit for a set of G400 irons but I'm thinking about getting some I210s instead. The main reason is I would like to work on my ball striking and build a better swing overall. I felt like I hit the G400 really high and long without the harsh feedback of my current irons. With my current clubs (Adams Ovations 2) I can tell instantly when I hit something wrong and it shows downrange. The G400s didn't give me that feedback, everything felt so amazing coming off the club. I'm a higher handicap and have been taking lessons to work on my swing now. Currently flip at impact and have a little out to in swing. After all that babbling would I be better off going with something less forgiving say the i210 and working on my swing or going with the G400?

Golf is hard, regardless of chosen tools. Because there's no shortcut to a repeatable swing beyond capable instruction and diligent practice, I'd suggest accepting any and all help along the way.

A more forgiving iron doesn't completely mask a flaw, it will only render less punishment. One's golf swing will positively evolve through dedication and honest evaluation.

You or I would so very likely game a golf ball that may offer the promise of significant distance and control, while absent any sense of our independently earning such gains. Just a simple switch. Then why should the psychology behind iron choice be any different?

Advantage. On the course or off, accept the opportunity for any advantage when offered.

Btw, this is coming from a guy who played blades for years, offered as an extreme parallel to what you're considering here.

Only took me 23 years to get to where I am now. There are better ways.

Both sets are great and the Pings do pack a good deal of forgiveness. But if they don't offer enough for your game right now, it can be a slow form of unnecessary punishment.

Last edited:
If you want feedback i210’s will give you that. If you want to play better golf get the G400’s. Don’t let your ego get in the way of fun on the golf course.

If you want feedback i210’s will give you that. If you want to play better golf get the G400’s. Don’t let your ego get in the way of fun on the golf course.

I'm leaning towards the G400 and just working on my swing.

Golf is hard, regardless of chosen tools. Because there's no shortcut to a repeatable swing beyond capable instruction and diligent practice, I'd suggest accepting any and all help along the way.

A more forgiving iron doesn't completely mask a flaw, it will only render less punishment. One's golf swing will positively evolve through dedication and honest evaluation.

You or I would so very likely game a golf ball that may offer the promise of significant distance and control, while absent any sense of our independently earning such gains. Just a simple switch. Then why should the psychology behind iron choice be any different?

Advantage. On the course or off, accept the opportunity for any advantage when offered.

Btw, this is coming from a guy who played blades for years, offered as an extreme parallel to what you're considering here.

Only took me 23 years to get to where I am now. There are better ways.

Both sets are great and the TM's do pack a great deal of forgiveness. But if they don't offer enough for your game right now, it can be a slow form of unnecessary punishment.

You make a great point. I will most likely just get the G400s and continue to take lessons and work on my swing.

@ WMac19 not sure why I can't post when quoting you, anyhow.

You make a great point about getting help. I think the G400s will give me some help and also let me work on my swing at the same time.

You make a great point about getting help. I think the G400s will give me some help and also let me work on my swing at the same time.

Not sure either, but approved each one. For some reason they showed up needing approval. That should be fixed now.

Not sure either, but approved each one. For some reason they showed up needing approval. That should be fixed now.

Now all of the replies showed up. Weird.

Don’t discount the Cleveland CBX irons. They are very forgiving and easy on the eyes.

Don't sleep on the Hogan Edge irons. Forgiving forged heads that will provide appropriate feedback and at factory direct pricing.

Don’t discount the Cleveland CBX irons. They are very forgiving and easy on the eyes.

Those actually do look nice. Might have to make a pit stop this afternoon and give them a swing.

As the title states I'm in the market for new irons. Was recently fit for a set of G400 irons but I'm thinking about getting some I210s instead. The main reason is I would like to work on my ball striking and build a better swing overall. I felt like I hit the G400 really high and long without the harsh feedback of my current irons. With my current clubs (Adams Ovations 2) I can tell instantly when I hit something wrong and it shows downrange. The G400s didn't give me that feedback, everything felt so amazing coming off the club. I'm a higher handicap and have been taking lessons to work on my swing now. Currently flip at impact and have a little out to in swing. After all that babbling would I be better off going with something less forgiving say the i210 and working on my swing or going with the G400?

25 capper?

In general, I'd say avoid the i210, which is for lower to mid caps. IMHO, the only reason to purchase the i210 is precision and workability, or heavy rough where you want a compact club - in general, as 25 hc, you don't need that right now. You want close or in the middle of the green, and less of a distance penalty when you are "off."

I would get the swing under control with lessons, and then when you're an 8-10 capper or your iron swing is excellent, go with something like an i210. I think you will rue the day you bought such a demanding club at this stage in your game.

My suggestion? Do something like I'm doing - get something that gives you room for error, like the G700/400, look at that thread(s) on THP, or the Mizuno 900 Hot Metals (soon to be the 919 Hot Metals) - those irons give you easy distance and time to enjoy the game while you hone the swing.

I went to an SGI (Super Game Improvement) iron - the PXG Xtra Forgiving - and it's allowed me to do as described. Work on my swing, get down to a 9-10, and then think about moving to a more compact set like the i210. I'd keep both - one to play when I'm "off" and the more demanding one when the swing is in shape.

Would have probably gone to the Hot Metals if not for a clubmaker I know talking me into PXG - nice irons, but there are lots of nice irons in that category.

Another option - purchase an i210 7i that is fit to you - when you can hit the 7i well on the course, you might try 6-PW. In the meantime, take your G400 or 700 option (I only mention the 700 because some have said the distance you earn is easy and long).

So go easy - walk before your run - and have fun while you technically improve your swing.

Last edited:
Those actually do look nice. Might have to make a pit stop this afternoon and give them a swing.

Great. Let us know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hit the Ping Irons and I too liked the G400 the best. If you are looking to improve your game I cannot stress enough the importance of lessons and practice. Golf is a game you cannot buy in the store. While being fit for clubs can definitely help they won't improve your ball striking. Only a solid golf swing will do that. I used to be a 6 handicap and played MacGregor VIP forged with Carbon Steel Shafts and then later, Tommy Armour and Taylormade irons. My game didn't really start suffering until I stopped practicing and playing regularly. Due to my schedule and some health issues I took months off without playing. Well, of course my game suffered. Instead of breaking 80 I couldn't even break 90 and my iron shots were weak and inaccurate. I bought a set of Nike Vapor Fly Irons a couple of years ago hoping they would help. Well, to no ones surprise I shot the same scores. Now, I have been practicing and playing regularly and my scores are beginning to come down. Once I saw I was beginning to play better I bought a set of forged Hogan PTX irons and I am hitting them very solid. While the irons are great and the feel is superb it is not the irons that is helping me. It is my work on the practice tee. I know this because I am hitting all my clubs better than I have in years. There are times that I don't want to practice but once I start hitting the ball and work on different shots I begin to get excited.

So, get the irons that work for you but work on your swing as well.

You should really give the Ben Hogan Edge Irons a look! They have a demo program, you get to try, I think 3 clubs, for 2 weeks. The price includes shipping both ways.
I have the Edge Irons with the Recoil shafts and I like them a lot.
They offer factory direct pricing, they are forged Irons for less than the price of cast. At least give them a look, it’s worth it!

Another vote for Ben Hogan here. They truly are great clubs. Are they for everybody? No but they are perfect for a lot of people who don't know about them. I dare you to try the demo program and not buy them. I did not even mention the fantastic Equalizer forged wedges.

If it's me, I'm going with the G400's that you were fit for. I think it's a misnomer that if you buy clubs that are less forgiving, you'll get better at ball striking. Get better with lessons... And enjoy the extra forgiveness of the G400 on mishits.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

High, long and feel amazing. Get the 400’s and enjoy the game.

You've gotten good advice. Here is an additional thought. If you REALLY want to work on consistent contact get a player's 3-iron. Work on your contact with it on the range. No negative affect to your play while learning.

Also, keep in mind, the main point of playing those clubs is to be able to move the ball around. As a 25-capper you probably haven't developed those skills yet (at least intentionally shaping and flighting the ball :act-up:). So, there is really no point in gaming a player's iron...yet.

A lot of good advice so far in this thread, and I'm going to chime in something I thought I'd never do myself. Ask yourself: "Can I consistently hit and control a 5 iron?" If the answer is no, try a 5 hybrid. Since adding one to my bag I now own the 180-195 range and par threes are not and issue. Easy to hit, very forgiving.

i always think it’s interesting when people shy away from a particular club because they can’t distinguish a solid strike from a poor strike. can’t you look up and see what the ball is doing? and won’t you eventually (probably sooner rather than later) begin to learn the differences in sound and feel? maybe you can’t tell from the first few strikes, but i think you will figure it out rather quickly.

anywho, i say go with what you were fit into. you can play great golf with a club like that. and it doesn’t really hold back lower handicaps to game a club like that, it boils down to a certain preference.

If you like the G400 and were fit for them go for it.

Dave

Buy a used or clearance set of Ping G's or similar irons until you improve.

What other clubs did you consider during the fitting session? Was there anything else that felt good?

Back