Choosing Your Hat

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Golf Digest attempts to be funny and help you choose your hat with this flow chart.

hat-decision-tree.jpg

Got lost in it a few times. haha Will just keep wearing my ball caps and call it a day.

Always a ball cap for me.

I enjoyed that. Always been a ball cap all day for me!

Funny, I guess, but cancer is not funny. You get paranoid.

Since I had Moh's surgery - cancer on side of face near ear - I've been on a hunt for a decent bucket hat - the old style, not too wide brim, doesn't do the trick. The wide brims do the trick - now finding the one where the brim doesn't go weird on you or flops around is key.

Tried Nike, also have the foil one with an SPF of 800, and yesterday, found a PING wide brim that actually looks decent. I must have 6 wide brims...

I go to the course with a ball cap and transfer to wide brim - gotta play it safe.

The scar on the side of the face is not too noticeable - so if you can live with cancer when you're older like me, 60+, then stay with the ball cap. When you get in your late 40's - early 50's when everything goes to crap - prostate, heart, precancerous spots, irritable bowel syndrome, at least get a blood test for those other items, and make the annual dermatologist appointment so they can freeze all those precancerous growths.

Last edited:
They got me pegged in the flow chart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always a ball cap. Once in a while, I'll wear a fedora.

I go ball cap or flat brim depending on what I'm wearing that day. Occasionally a visor will make an appearance.

Wow...my transformation into Greg Norman was so slow I hardly noticed!! :laughing:

I don't care how hard it rains, I ain't wearing a bucket hat lol.

As someone who is folliclly challenged, I appreciate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been wanting to try a Hogan hat anyway.

They omitted the no hat clan, Arnie, Jack, Long John and currently Ollie.

I feel like Harvey Penick's Little Red Book is a suitable substitute for Hogan's Five Lessons.

It's pretty funny! Always a ballcap for me.

This is pretty good for Golf Digest. It puts me in a ball cap, although I have previously played in a visor and I do own a straw fedora.

This is pretty good for Golf Digest. It puts me in a ball cap, although I have previously played in a visor and I do own a straw fedora.

We're not brothers anymore :alien:

Confirmed...ball cap is the right choice!

So the acceptable answer is a ball cap? But there are all different types of ball cap other than flatbrim...... this solves nothing lol!

I went with a full on "dad" hat, not quite a Tilley, but that size with a mesh band and packable.

Really wanted to have in the bag for those days when it is "oh heck its hot" hot out.

Meh...leads me to ball cap, even though switched to Titleist Aussies this year for the extra sun protection. Having had some minor damage removed from my face and head in recent years, I’m not willing to let those things develop into anything more serious.

Fortunately, as a bi-product, I happen to really like the new look, despite the second guessing from my wife.

Funny, I guess, but cancer is not funny. You get paranoid.

Since I had Moh's surgery - cancer on side of face near ear - I've been on a hunt for a decent bucket hat - the old style, not too wide brim, doesn't do the trick. The wide brims do the trick - now finding the one where the brim doesn't go weird on you or flops around is key.

Tried Nike, also have the foil one with an SPF of 800, and yesterday, found a PING wide brim that actually looks decent. I must have 6 wide brims...

I go to the course with a ball cap and transfer to wide brim - gotta play it safe.

The scar on the side of the face is not too noticeable - so if you can live with cancer when you're older like me, 60+, then stay with the ball cap. When you get in your late 40's - early 50's when everything goes to crap - prostate, heart, precancerous spots, irritable bowel syndrome, at least get a blood test for those other items, and make the annual dermatologist appointment so they can freeze all those precancerous growths.

Titleist has the Jarrod Lyle bucket hats with all ththe benefiting his family, which I think is great. I think I should start wearing them due to the sun, but they are not comfortable for me.

Ball caps for me. I have a full-brim leather hat too that I bring to the course on cold or rainy days.

Back