Srixon Z 585 Driver and Z 785 Driver

I feel like Srixon has nowhere to go but UP with these offerings, and it sounds like they've really tried to pack in a bunch of new tech in order to make these a success.

Well, if anyone can make a bad fit work it's Jman. Still, I'd very much like to see what this driver does in your hands with a better fit than a reg flex Hzrdus red.

Canadan, great initial thoughts. Don't want to ask too much about the ball speed until a comfort level is achieved. At first glance, it's pretty @#$@#$ awesome Srixon got the HC shafts stock.

Im sure if it is too ill fitting, Jman can swap out the shafts fairly quickly.

Hahaha, this man knows.

As always, it will get worked over with the stock shaft setup since that is how most will pick it up, then at the tail part of the review if I need to I'll make a move to get some more thorough thoughts on the head.

No stone left unturned!

Definitely a different look than previous, but in a better way. I like the red, it makes it jump out. Good choice of shafts. This is one that I do want to hit.

Canadan, great initial thoughts. Don't want to ask too much about the ball speed until a comfort level is achieved. At first glance, it's pretty @#$@#$ awesome Srixon got the HC shafts stock.

It's very impressive. I know we THP Community members are pretty amped up with anything that involves 'handcrafted' and this is probably no exception.

A bit later in the week, I'll get some numbers on the driver. This is a pretty serious graphic though... I wonder if I can slide into the 170s with this head.

ac9f054b40f5ce7f230da037b4dbaa62.png

I think that is why you don't see a ton of info out there about that specific weight. Pictures make it immediately think of draw biased, but I didn't get much of that out of it.

Since you mentioned the weight savings of going to a bonded hosel, is it reasonable to speculate the rear weight placement on the 585 was somewhat influenced by that?

The 585 is definitely what I would call on the side of non-traditional shape wise, its got a little triangularity to it in the back heel portion of the head, its not off putting, but its also not a pure rounded shape.

that's what i was afraid of looking at the pictures. i guess i would still try it if someone handed it to me, but based on the shape i will not be actively seeking it out.

Since you mentioned the weight savings of going to a bonded hosel, is it reasonable to speculate the rear weight placement on the 585 was somewhat influenced by that?

I think so. The 585 has a higher MOI than that of the 785, but part of that is due to the lack of weight in the hosel. Moving some weight slightly there, does two things. Centers more, and does add a tiny bit of draw bias. This is definitely not a driver someone is going to pick up and immediately think offset or hook, etc though.

It's very impressive. I know we THP Community members are pretty amped up with anything that involves 'handcrafted' and this is probably no exception.

A bit later in the week, I'll get some numbers on the driver. This is a pretty serious graphic though... I wonder if I can slide into the 170s with this head.

2 more mph??! That’s a serious claim there. I imagined that jump from their past offerings, not from everything else in the market. Almost hoping that isn’t everyone’s experience because then things would get expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srixon's biggest opportunity for improvement is in the metalwoods category. I know many golfers who are looking forward to the early reviews of the new Z-series.

2 more mph??! That’s a serious claim there. I imagined that jump from their past offerings, not from everything else in the market. Almost hoping that isn’t everyone’s experience because then things would get expensive.

and i love that the data was taken at multiple points across the face, instead of cherry-picking one area of the face. it's pretty darn intriguing, but again i really loathe that triangle shape.

I know it perked my ears. I can put up 164 on my G400, so if I can see a jump on that, they will have my full and undivided attention.

Interesting look to the soles, reminds me of the 335 line a bit.

The 585 is definitely what I would call on the side of non-traditional shape wise, its got a little triangularity to it in the back heel portion of the head, its not off putting, but its also not a pure rounded shape.

That’s definitely something I immediately noticed, I first thought Callaway Fusion, but it’s really more rounded on the toe side now that I’ve looked at the pics more.

That’s a pretty bold claim, if it even sniffs that neighborhood of gains it could be a real 180 for their metalwoods.

Interesting look to the soles, reminds me of the 335 line a bit.

I'll say this, I love that they used the red accent. It really does pop.

Not too fond of the crown on this one. But who care's what it looks like if it performs & puts the ball in the fairway every time.

and i love that the data was taken at multiple points across the face, instead of cherry-picking one area of the face. it's pretty darn intriguing, but again i really loathe that triangle shape.

I just looked at the graphic again, and those claims are for the Z785 which may not be as triangular shaped. Doesn't appear to be in the initial pics. So... yeah, you may want to go ahead and put it in your "to hit" list.

I do like crazy ball speeds though. If it's claim is true :act-up:

This one with the HC EF Blue has my attention. I am really finding a groove with my F8, but I like everything the Z785 has to offer.

From the pictures, it appears the 785 has basically the same shape.

These sound like a big jump for Srixon and they look mean. I want one.

I'll say this, I love that they used the red accent. It really does pop.

I agree. The stock photos really made this look a lot like the Aeroburner, but the in hand photos do a much better job of showing the cosmetics of it. Its a really nice looking driver

I really like the looks actually. The z565 and 765 drivers had a really low key look to them. These just say fast! I do find it interesting though that they chose to make the 585 a glue in hosel. Was this done to keep the cost down? Or is there more to it?

Last edited:
I really like the looks actually. The z565 and 765 drivers had a really low key look to them. These just say fast! I do find it interesting though that they chose to make the 585 a glue in hosel though. Was this done to keep the cost down? Or is there more to it?

seems kinda trying to fit the 585 into the mold of Cleveland launcher, M2 etc... and others, and then have the 785 to go against all others, being both are 460 ccs

seems kinda trying to fit the 585 into the mold of Cleveland launcher, M2 etc... and others, and then have the 785 to go against all others, being both are 460 ccs

I understand the cost savings. But they already have a low price model in the Cleveland Launcher HB. Others like the M2 (now the M4) are still adjustable hosels. I'm just curious if there's another reason besides cost.

I understand the cost savings. But they already have a low price model in the Cleveland Launcher HB. Others like the M2 (now the M4) are still adjustable hosels. I'm just curious if there's another reason besides cost.

Cleveland and Srixon in the past, and I assume it's the same now, have operated as independent equipment lines from one another, so which one has what isn't all that much of a concern.

Imo, we see going to see more and more glued options again as it does provide weight savings that can be repurposed in the designs.

Back