Srixon Z 585 Driver and Z 785 Driver

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be reviewing the Z 785 driver over the next couple weeks. Here's a quick look at some photos I took of the overall profile;

E381452C-18DE-42A6-AEF0-773E4C2B7F44-XL.jpg

55283B43-A434-40FD-BA4C-96BD5B15C9C4-XL.jpg

BD1608C2-D254-4A8B-8BAB-1F150855D113-XL.jpg

00350FED-C96E-4DB5-AD82-4154267185B6-XL.jpg

3BBC8241-98B9-490F-9121-09A7E32F94A1-XL.jpg

564AC69C-2D4B-4B46-845C-27EFE8CA96C7-XL.jpg

332C0AC3-7B40-4AC8-A876-0AF2341C6B20-XL.jpg

Early thoughts on Z785 are a bit mixed.

The wider body 460cc head is a step away from my norm, and it became instantly present with contact towards the toe really engaging in the gear effect experience. It's going to take me a few sessions to really get comfortable in terms of contact location to get a better understanding of where the quality is produced for this head. I believe it's also a bit shallower than I am used to, so I'll be working on adjusting tee height to accommodate.

Provided to me were two shafts, the HZRDUS Black and the Even Flow Blue, both which are handcrafted - A pretty awesome story in the Z785 driver in that it comes stock with a handcrafted shaft. So far, the black has better launch characteristics but the blue is engaging better on toe shots. I'll have to keep everyone in the loop on which I prefer over time.

I like that it's a difference experience, and I've seen some great numbers already - But it is certainly a step away from the compact heads I've been gaming. It will be fun to get to know it better.

They’ve got some pretty bold ball speed claims on their site. It will be interesting to see how it works for you!
I’d really like to get my hands on one if these ASAP and put it up against my Cobra driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to more feedback. Insightful Home page interview on both irons and utility, can't wait to see if the driver delivers. It would have to be significant to out-deliver my Cobra F8+.

I like the looks of this one quite a bit. Looking forward to your continued thoughts Dan.

They won me over with the looks department versus their previous model, and love the shaft options for this driver. Definitely would like to hear more about it and try it out if the opportunity comes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I see the irons launch day is Sept. 14. Is it the same for the driver as well?

• Admin
I see the irons launch day is Sept. 14. Is it the same for the driver as well?

Yes it is.

Thanks JB I didn’t want to assume

Links to Review Updates:

• In-Hand Images: Click HERE

I've got the 585 in hand paired with a regular flex HZRDUS Red that I will be putting through its paces. Straight to the course this afternoon with feedback to come afterwards. For now though, some pics!

DSC_0205-XL.jpg

DSC_0206-XL.jpg

DSC_0207-XL.jpg

DSC_0209-XL.jpg

DSC_0210-XL.jpg

DSC_0211-XL.jpg

DSC_0212-XL.jpg

DSC_0213-XL.jpg

Last edited:
That 585 is a good looking club! The head shape is good and that alignment marker is on point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, if anyone can make a bad fit work it's Jman. Still, I'd very much like to see what this driver does in your hands with a better fit than a reg flex Hzrdus red.

Canadan, great initial thoughts. Don't want to ask too much about the ball speed until a comfort level is achieved. At first glance, it's pretty @#$@#$ awesome Srixon got the HC shafts stock.

Well, if anyone can make a bad fit work it's Jman. Still, I'd very much like to see what this driver does in your hands with a better fit than a reg flex Hzrdus red.

Canadan, great initial thoughts. Don't want to ask too much about the ball speed until a comfort level is achieved. At first glance, it's pretty @#$@#$ awesome Srixon got the HC shafts stock.

Im sure if it is too ill fitting, Jman can swap out the shafts fairly quickly.

Im sure if it is too ill fitting, Jman can swap out the shafts fairly quickly.

Oh, no doubts there. This is Jman after all

The HZRDUS red shaft would probably look really sweet with this club head. Really interested in this one, the last driver they put out was one of my favorite releases a couple years ago.

It looks to me like the rear weight placement on the 585 is more biased toward the heel side than on the 785. Also interesting is the choice to go bonded in the 585. I wonder if this will be more of a trend among companies in order to help flatten the cost curve a little on the distance/game improvement products. Am I weird for thinking the alignment aid looks a bit like the spaceship from Asteroids?

ETA: Just checked the Srixon website looking at the 585. If the shafts listed on the website are no-cost options then that is a very impressive list of choices.

It looks to me like the rear weight placement on the 585 is more biased toward the heel side than on the 785. Also interesting is the choice to go bonded in the 585. I wonder if this will be more of a trend among companies in order to help flatten the cost curve a little on the distance/game improvement products. Am I weird for thinking the alignment aid looks a bit like the spaceship from Asteroids?

It is a little further towards the heel on the 585. Good catch.
I think it could be viewed as a price aspect, especially with golfers, but it is also viewed from a weight aspect spot for engineers.

I know the Srixon metalwoods haven’t been nearly as popular as their irons, I’m very interested in whether or not this release gains a little more traction. It seems like some of the tech incorporated into are a step in the right direction.

I know the Srixon metalwoods haven’t been nearly as popular as their irons, I’m very interested in whether or not this release gains a little more traction. It seems like some of the tech incorporated into are a step in the right direction.

It will on tour, that we have been told is already taking shape.

From the pictures, the head shapes are kind of just okay to my eye. I do like the fact that there is nothing on the crowns but the alignment mark. The more heal biased weight on the 585 would likely not work at all for this guy.

From the pictures, the head shapes are kind of just okay to my eye. I do like the fact that there is nothing on the crowns but the alignment mark. The more heal biased weight on the 585 would likely not work at all for this guy.

I think that is why you don't see a ton of info out there about that specific weight. Pictures make it immediately think of draw biased, but I didn't get much of that out of it.

It will on tour, that we have been told is already taking shape.

That’s very encouraging already, the Z65 drivers weren’t heavily adopted on tour at all. The thin cup face design and the carbon fiber crown is a big step in the right direction right out of the gate!

That’s very encouraging already, the Z65 drivers weren’t heavily adopted on tour at all. The thin cup face design and the carbon fiber crown is a big step in the right direction right out of the gate!

It could be and I guess time will tell there. I am very interested to see what other companies use the cup faced design this coming year, because it can be argued that like other areas of design, it work better.

The 585 is definitely what I would call on the side of non-traditional shape wise, its got a little triangularity to it in the back heel portion of the head, its not off putting, but its also not a pure rounded shape.

Back