New irons, been offered TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB clubs

jlaakso

Ironman
Reaction score
Handicap
As a newbie, I am of course target for friends donate, dump or sell their old equipment. I've been grinding the basics with Wilson 1200 CG beginner set for a short time, grinding and grinding with basics. I am not saying I've everything right or even basic consistency in place yet. Getting there, but need more mileage. Anyhow, I have been offered TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB 4-PW "for a fair price" and I would like to hear feelings and experince for these clubs. They are pre 2014 models, I believe 2011.

I tried searching the forum for info on these, but couldn't find that much as newer 2014 version dominates the search results.

I know, I should not try to build up bias and just should take them for a test drive, but eager as I am... :D

I love those irons. Great set, not overly forgiving if I remember from hitting, but really nice. I guess for me it comes down to the shape they are in and what the fair price they are offering will be. You can find sets used for slightly under $200, so if their price is anywhere north of that I’d say no.

That’s going to depend a lot on price, I don’t know much about these, but you can find used iron sets newer than 2011 for $200-$300 without trying very hard, so keep that in mind. There will be some pretty big tech differences in something from 2015-16 compared to 2011.

Of course VFM (M being Money and Me) should be evaluated before purchase. I don't expect price to be over $200, more like way under. I guess concerning the development of technology, it's similar to buying a TV. There is always new tech coming and older models become legacy very soon. Then again, if they are improvement for me plus frees up storage space for my neighbour, both win :)

Those would be demanding clubs, although more playable than the MC and MB. I certainly would not recommend them for a newbie, but I also don't know what your local market is like.

You can read up on the 2010/2011 release here

aklawitter, thanks for the release notes. Looking at target HCP, they propably are not the best choice for me at the moment. Otherwise, my learning curve would be quite steep.

Could not resist a test drive, I am going to driving range and borrow 5i and 7i for comparison. Let's see how it goes..

I was very surprised how good the CB irons felt. I could feel the weight of the club head instead of shaft weight masking it. Wilsons resembled sledgehammer or logwood after them... Mishits are mishits with both, but hits felt really good with CBs.

Not buying them yet, need to try them out on the course first. And probably test other clubs as well. I'm not in a need for new clubs, but this test drive induced an itch that can't be scratched...

Last edited:
Back