Golf Equipment Reviews

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New THP Radio show from Golf Unfiltered joined by Michael Vrska and Matt Saternus talking about equipment reviews.

http://bit.ly/2wq9MSs

Well now I know what I am listening to on the way to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will give this a listen. I read Adam's take on equipment reviews and agreed with much of what was written.

I've been paying a lot of attention to iron reviews this year and one thing I've noted - within the same category (player's irons, distance irons, GI sets) there's not a lot performance wise separating them #s wise. It kinda comes down to the player and how they hit a particular model that day. It's why I'm not sure I like MGS model too much (Wilson V6 was #1 one year and then didn't crack the top 6 the next year?).

I prefer THP's approach were numbers are mentioned in official reviews but the reviewer's focus more on other aspects. Real world experience is key. Also, the reviewers aren't about the hot take but take time to go play multiple rounds before the decisive write up.

Listened to the show on the drive in this morning and enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed hearing Vrska's thoughts on the matter and I think he pretty accurately described the different the different pros and cons of each style of review.

Interesting that all 3 of them alluded to a "give a positive review, or stop getting clubs to review" guillotine hanging over the heads of reviewers. Maybe as a THP member I've been insulated from this side of things but it came across like some OEMs arent at all interested in honest feedback as opposed to positive feedback.

• Admin
Interesting that all 3 of them alluded to a "give a positive review, or stop getting clubs to review" guillotine hanging over the heads of reviewers. Maybe as a THP member I've been insulated from this side of things but it came across like some OEMs arent at all interested in honest feedback as opposed to positive feedback.

In my listening to that, I actually reached back out to Michael to discuss because honestly we have never heard of it from anybody, but more importantly don't believe in the entire "good vs bad" angle that is created. The only issue we have ever faced in 10+ years of doing this, where a company said "we may not send anymore equipment" is over timelines. I think Michael explained it well that at the end of the day, traffic plays a pretty large role, but also the integrity of the people that companies like to work with.

I think there is a way to offer the info about equipment in 100% honest and clear ways, without the need to insult the intelligence of the golfer.

I've never really thought about it like that. But then again, I'm not arrogant enough to think that if something doesn't change my game that it's a 'bad' club worth a negative review.

With how much technology there is out there, just about every product I've seen has a great story to tell, and that's always been my goal. Good vs bad is far too subjective.

Really enjoyed listening to this one. I found the Vrska perspective from the OEM side was pretty insightful, well done gentlemen!

Excited to listen to this one, its got Vrska who I consider a friend and also I believe Matt is one of the best out there right now in the review game, he has his methodology and sticks to it, massive massive fan.

I'm going to need to listen to this one.

I've never really thought about it like that. But then again, I'm not arrogant enough to think that if something doesn't change my game that it's a 'bad' club worth a negative review.

With how much technology there is out there, just about every product I've seen has a great story to tell, and that's always been my goal. Good vs bad is far too subjective.

I agree 100%. I've done almost no reviews on this website but at other places and/or with different products I always try to end the review of something that I didn't particularly like with something like ;"this product didnt suit me for these reasons....... but for someone with x y z qualities it'll be a great choice, etc".

I know I've been guilty in the past of being harsh on equipment that didnt seem to offer anything new, but in my case it happens when marketing promises me the world and then I dont see any of it.

I understand not wanting to judge a club by comparing it to the competition or even to its predecessor, but its tough not to compare it to it's own marketing.

I know I've been guilty in the past of being harsh on equipment that didnt seem to offer anything new, but in my case it happens when marketing promises me the world and then I dont see any of it.

I understand not wanting to judge a club by comparing it to the competition or even to its predecessor, but its tough not to compare it to it's own marketing.

This seems fair to me. So say if their marketing claims it be 15 yards longer than the competition and you run a controlled test that doesn't support that claim I don't see it as a problem to call BS on it.

Most of the claims are vague enough though and results can certainly vary from one person to the next.

My personal example, I bought a new M3 440 this year. For me it couldn't beat out my R15 430, my M1 430, or my Epic. I just didn't like that club. Now obviously it's a great club as evidenced by the number of tour players that are using it. So how would I review it? I'd be very skeptical of their claims with Twist Face as I seem to be capable of a high toe slice, point out that obviously it's a great driver based on its presence on tour, and say it just isn't for me. Based on my experiences I think that would be fair.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the show! I love having these types of conversations, especially around equipment and the people who review it.

What was eluded to in the episode is the "biggest elephant in the room": everyone needs to get fit in order to get the most out of a new club. There's simply no way around it.

On that point, however, this means that most players can be fit to any specs they need. If you need higher launch in a driver, you can get that driver customized to hit a number. Same can be said for distance tendencies and shot dispersion.

The only thing I've seen that a player CANNOT be fit to -- and @JB will appreciate this -- is ball speed.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the show! I love having these types of conversations, especially around equipment and the people who review it.

What was eluded to in the episode is the "biggest elephant in the room": everyone needs to get fit in order to get the most out of a new club. There's simply no way around it.

On that point, however, this means that most players can be fit to any specs they need. If you need higher launch in a driver, you can get that driver customized to hit a number. Same can be said for distance tendencies and shot dispersion.

The only thing I've seen that a player CANNOT be fit to -- and @JB will appreciate this -- is ball speed.

haha true. Although I will say, even that can be tested to an extent. Meaning one club might feel better and inspire more confidence, therefore they find the center more often and it brings more ball speed.
Outside of that, you are correct.

haha true. Although I will say, even that can be tested to an extent. Meaning one club might feel better and inspire more confidence, therefore they find the center more often and it brings more ball speed.
Outside of that, you are correct.

Fair, and that is for sure a tendency I've seen with my equipment as well. That's a tough metric to measure (confidence), and while that doesn't make it any less real, it does make it tough for an OEM to package into a product.

That was a great listen. It's definitely a tough line to walk at times to give 100% honesty but not insult a company but there's definitely a way to do it. Just because player A didn't see specific performance claims doesn't mean player B won't see the claims.

The fitting and confidence is a huge part. After being fit for a driver shaft my confidence skyrocketed and as long as that shaft is in any driver I'm much more likely to hit it well. Give me a driver with a stock shaft and there's a chance that unless I remind myself to not focus on it there's a good chance I self sabotage and don't see good performance.

I enjoyed listening to this podcast. Vrska is always so interesting.

Keep up the good work!

I listened to this when t came out. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back