Crazy proposed Fedex Cup Changes

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
How would you feel about a golf tournament where a player got a head start on the field? That may happen starting next year:

"Five people aware of the discussions say FedEx Cup points will not be involved in the final playoff event at East Lake. Instead, the No. 1 player would start the Tour Championship at 10-under par, with scores to par staggered depending on the 30 players’ position in the standings."

Full link here: https://apnews.com/c7ebf5542dfb43cf...&utm_medium=AP_Sports&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

The Tour wants to get away from a scenario where one guy wins the Tour Championship and another guy wins the FedEx Cup. I can understand that and making it simpler for the fans that don't want to pay attention to points projections, but I hate the idea of starting a guy at 10 under par.

I think honestly, it could be some fun chaos. Why not start the leader at E though and stagger everyone else above par from there?

If they want to make sure the same guy wins the tour championship and FedEx Cup, why not reset the points to 0 at East Lake and make it winner take all? Top 30 surely had decent years to make it that far.

Staggering strokes is very much unprecedented and would be absolute chaos....but that might be fun to watch.

I was reading that on Twitter. If true - that's just insane. It might make me turn off golf and I'm completely serious about that.

Is it really that big of a deal if the guy still wins the Fed Ex cup w/o winning the tournament? If the Fed Ex Cup is truly who had the best YEAR then it shouldn't matter.

I think it’s one of the worst ideas ever.

It’s a solution to a problem that isn’t even a problem. Who cares if different people win the tour championship and the Fed Ex points contests. They are different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they want to make sure the same guy wins the tour championship and FedEx Cup, why not reset the points to 0 at East Lake and make it winner take all? Top 30 surely had decent years to make it that far.

Staggering strokes is very much unprecedented and would be absolute chaos....but that might be fun to watch.

Because that would make sense? :D

I want to see the details but this looks like a crazy proposal. I like how anyone in the Top 5 can automatically win the FedEx Cup with a W at East Lake personally.

Because that would make sense? :D
Really, the only parallel I can draw in sports that I pay attention to is NASCAR (here is where many giggle). They widdle down drivers in the playoffs to the final 4 in the last race, and best place finisher in that race (of those 4) takes the championship. They have it right, but there's also 36 other drivers out there still competing, whereas golf could have any one of 30 win it all. Talk about making each stroke count!

Stupid plain stupid

I've decided to start all of my rounds -10 now. I dislike the idea but what do I know?

Sounds idiotic.

Dumb. Who cares? If they want the person who wins the last event to win the FedEx Cup, just get rid of the playoffs and points and give the winner $11.5M at the end.

Dumb. Who cares? If they want the person who wins the last event to win the FedEx Cup, just get rid of the playoffs and points and give the winner $11.5M at the end.

This is exactly what I was thinking. The playoffs are basically useless if you want the winner of the Tour Championship to be the Fed Ex Cup champion every time.

Congratulations PGA Tour, by ensuring the same guy wins both the Cup and the Tour Championship you've essentially neutered the playoffs completely.

This is stupid.

It's sad to think this is the best idea they could come up with!!

Ridiculous.

Might as well get them to putt through windmills and a free game for getting it in the clown’s mouth.

I don't really understand this at all.

I've always thought they should make their entire playoff score cumulative. For example, Bryson starts the next tournament at -18, Tiger at -4, etc. Guys who were cut are cut-cut. I guess it could make for a boring weekend at East Lake if a guy goes on a tear, but that would at the very least be a sensible system.

They've tried so hard legislate importance into the playoff events, seemingly to undermine the work of the previous years winner. Not a good look.

Why even have the playoffs then?

I think the comparison to how the playoffs work in NASCAR is the best I can draw to this. Two winners is not a big deal, somebody wins a tournament the other wins a points race. Starting a field off with a staggered score is a bit odd, i'm trying to figure out who even dreamt up this idea. Can you imagine anyone trying to chase down a 10 stroke lead? I don't even know if I would tune in to watch. Hell with Bryson leading by 4 yesterday there wasn't even a reason to watch.

Just dumb. Reset the points and call it good, that makes the most sense.

I'm not opposed to it. could be a fun change of pace. Why not just carry the scores forward so it is a 16 round stroke play tournament....

This is exactly what I was thinking. The playoffs are basically useless if you want the winner of the Tour Championship to be the Fed Ex Cup champion every time.

But I like the fact that the field is reduced after each event until you have the cream of the crop at the Tour Championship.

Really, the only parallel I can draw in sports that I pay attention to is NASCAR (here is where many giggle). They widdle down drivers in the playoffs to the final 4 in the last race, and best place finisher in that race (of those 4) takes the championship. They have it right, but there's also 36 other drivers out there still competing, whereas golf could have any one of 30 win it all. Talk about making each stroke count!

I think the comparison to how the playoffs work in NASCAR is the best I can draw to this. Two winners is not a big deal, somebody wins a tournament the other wins a points race. Starting a field off with a staggered score is a bit odd, i'm trying to figure out who even dreamt up this idea. Can you imagine anyone trying to chase down a 10 stroke lead? I don't even know if I would tune in to watch. Hell with Bryson leading by 4 yesterday there wasn't even a reason to watch.

I was going to say the same thing, except that at least in NASCAR there is some passing and some ability to impact others positions directly (like Kenseth/Logano, for example). This proposition is more like NASCAR playoffs, but with F1 rules. Large lead, no passing, and just watching people make circles. This is a terrible, terrible idea.

Back