its funny, everyone on this site drives it between 250-310 yards but when you play with strangers all the time rarely do they hit there driver near even me.

I think your thinking of a different golf website not this one!

Yes people usually think they hit it father than they do. I know I hit it somewhere between 200-250 on average. I wish I could hit it father but that's not my game.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

20180520_154424.jpg

This little Phantom GPS device will tell you exactly how far your ball went. Before I had it I would subtract my distance to the pin from the hole length to estimate how far my drive went. I found there are too many variables to measure drives like that. When I really get ahold of one I grab it off the cart and use the shot feature to KNOW exactly how far it went. I hit one yesterday 320 yards on a flat par five without much wind. Left me with a 139 yard 9i for the second shot, Its your decision to believe it or not.

I've not visited the other site(s?) but it sounds like driver delusion and exaggeration are at a whole other level compared to this one. It's good that many of us on THP get to tee it up together from time to time, keeps us more realistic. Most rounds I measure all of mine, bombs & duds and enter them with the advanced hole by hole tool in my GHIN service. Yesterday at Old Kinderhook one rode a huge tail wind for 286 to set up nice 2 putt bird on a par 5 but I also had an 'amazing' 52 yarder that drilled a tiny overhanging limb just off the tee. Overall I'm only averaging 229 total which sounds short but the crazy thing is 229 is 6 yards LONGER than the average 10.8ish handicap in MO according to GHIN 'averages/similar golfers' stat.

I've played with some here who legitimately bomb it and all in all I'm shorter than most THPers I've been lucky enough to play with. Still I agree with the title, many of the distance claims or beliefs are indeed myths.

This thread is perfect for CS@ShotScope
The beauty of the ShotScope system is that it records all of your club, good and bad, creates an Average and then a Performance Average.
The Performance Average takes out the bad ones at determines what you should expect distance wise with each club.
It's the beauty of the system.

Not only that but you can go back on a laptop and look at your last 5/15/all rounds to see where you are trending.
So I've I have changed balls or changed shafts in my driver, I can go back and compare.

I always know what I should expect from each club pending Lie and Conditions.

I have found Arccos very useful for establishing ranges and averages for each club.

It's particularly useful as it differentiates between tee shots vs all others.

As others have mentioned, using GPS apps and tools helps keep people honest and realistic in determining distance.

"Bombs" often have a funny way of seeming much more pedestrian in the face of hard data.

My only complaint with Arccos is that, as far as I'm aware, it doesn't record separate data sets for wet vs dry conditions.

Therefore, carry distance can be somewhat inferred, particularly on days when most tee shots plug.

Anyone happen to be known if the other systems/apps account for recent rainfall, etc.?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

why does that have to be about ego? i've talked to fitters and oems who say you should fit off the best strikes, not the worst. can't it just be a different approach?

and i'd say while arccos can help, it says nothing about carry. at that point, playing conditions makes a big difference. i'm comparing gamer driver numbers today in softer conditions to my numbers from my last driver that were obtained in drought conditions. lo and behold, i'm about 25 yards shorter. but that isn't the whole story.
I tend to lean on your side here. True average is pretty useless when trying to know how far you hit it. The drive that goes 100 yards then hits a tree and is knocked down, or the topped shot that goes 30 yards don't really tell me anything about how far I hit it.

If I decide I hit it 225 based on average, but in reality hit a good drive 245-260, I may end up driving it into a creek I thought I would stay short of. Similarly when deciding if I can clear a hazard I need to know how far a decent ball goes, knowing if I top any club or hit into a tree it's not going to make it.

Same thing with irons, I don't care about the fat shot, I need to know what club will hit the green.

DW, you're so funny....Ive seen you swing your driver and it is prob is 110-115 mph, as you stated....yes your driver, when hit flush, should go 300 yards easily....I have seen you hit your 5 iron 240 yards maybe downwind abit lol...so quit being modest...you just need to work on chipping and putting...:)

There are a lot of internet exaggerators but I don't think you're one of them....its funny, everyone on this site drives it between 250-310 yards but when you play with strangers all the time rarely do they hit there driver near even me.

that is the thing though...I am well aware of what I am capable of. I have had rounds where for the round I averaged 267 off the tee with my driver. And in one round in Las Vegas, I was on the fringe on a par 4 with a legit 340 and had...it was last year so memory is fuzzy but it was 4 or 5 300+ drives. It was a complete outlier.

But also rounds where it was 204. (I enjoyed the former more). There are more of these than the other and my average is sadly down to 234 after this injury plagued year.

But people get impressed with the wrong things sometimes. The irony is sometimes the worse I hit it, the better people think it is. For me a well struck driver where I get that inside out move, swing up and hit it flush is not going very high in the air. But when I get under it just a bit I get a towering flight that looks impressive to the guys...but loses 60 yards. Just this last Saturday at the Reserve, I had back to back drives. The first one I showed at 279 on golfpad. Nobody said a thing because it was a modest height, near line drive. The next one they thought I had absolutely crushed as it had a towering arc and hung for a while. 216 yards it was, but they were impressed with that one because of how it looked. 63 yards shorter and they all thought it was my longest of the day.

For the day I went 168, 209, 275, 209, 263, 230, 249, 247 off the tee with driver. The 168 was a pop up...and was in a line with 2 of the 3 guys I was with and ahead of the third. For the day I was the shortest off the tee with a driver precisely zero times. Even when I was teeing off with my 6i I was only shorter than 1 -2 guys if any.

The overall thought in the thread I agree with, if you ask any of those guys, not one would believe their average is 200 or less. But reality might say otherwise. (and to be fair, until I went triple/quintuple on 2 of the last 4 holes to take an 88 it was an overall poor ball striking day where I was scoring really well).

Back