North/South Carolina peeps, need some suggestions.

The_Dude

#TeamNE #Team Green #Hype
Reaction score
Handicap
#bigbutts
Looking to get away with the bride for 3-4 days in next month or early October at the latest. I'm looking for recommendations on where to stay to get the full experience of the Carolina's. Ideally somewhere close to the coast. Looks likes Wilmington airport is closest to the coast that has direct flights from Boston. Appreciate any recommendations/suggestions, etc.

JetBlue has direct flights to Charleston and Savannah out of Boston. You can't go wrong in either place. I used to live in Charleston and fall was my favorite season down there.

Looking to get away with the bride for 3-4 days in next month or early October at the latest. I'm looking for recommendations on where to stay to get the full experience of the Carolina's. Ideally somewhere close to the coast. Looks likes Wilmington airport is closest to the coast that has direct flights from Boston. Appreciate any recommendations/suggestions, etc.

Raleigh - direct from Boston -
Drive to the coast and you can go central as well

Plenty of golf

JetBlue has direct flights to Charleston and Savannah out of Boston. You can't go wrong in either place. I used to live in Charleston and fall was my favorite season down there.
I will check out tonight. Thank you.

Raleigh - direct from Boston -
Drive to the coast and you can go central as well

Plenty of golf
lol, have you seen her swing a club? :laughing:
I was thinking maybe a bed and breakfast and do some sight seeing, maybe catch a show, etc. I hope to retire down there.

Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, Charleston would be my top 3 (not necessarily in that particular order). If going mainly for golf, MB would be a no brainer. If going for more of the cultural aspect, both Wilmington and Charleston are great choices.

Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, Charleston would be my top 3 (not necessarily in that particular order). If going mainly for golf, MB would be a no brainer. If going for more of the cultural aspect, both Wilmington and Charleston are great choices.
She's not a golfer so it's more to experience the culture and the area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Its not near the coast but the North Carolina Zoo is really impressive. There are some cabin rentals and bed and breakfast stuff in that area. It’s worth a night there and trip to the zoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's not a golfer so it's more to experience the culture and the area.

Wilmington is not as big or congested / more quaint. That was actually where we lived prior to moving to south GA. We spent a lot of time there when I was younger as my dad's side of the family were there. Spicoli lives there so maybe you could talk him in to playing tour guide..haha. Really can't go wrong with either.

Charleston and Wilmington offer the best cultural options. For a resort experience go for Hilton Head or Kiawah. All of these are more touristy than where you will probably end up when you retire, but great vacations spots.

Lots of good advice in here and I agree with Wilmington, Charleston and Savanah, especially for culture.

If beaches aren’t mandatory you cannot beat the NC mountains for just spectacular scenery and stuff to do.

Cahrleston for sure. Great golf and food. PM me and I can give you of recommendations if you wish.

Wilmington is not as big or congested / more quaint. That was actually where we lived prior to moving to south GA. We spent a lot of time there when I was younger as my dad's side of the family were there. Spicoli lives there so maybe you could talk him in to playing tour guide..haha. Really can't go wrong with either.

Spicoli is in Raleigh now ;). That said I enjoy Wilmington golf a few real good offerings down there. Many Myrtle courses did not come through the winter well this year and many are still feeling effects from it.

Always have the Pinehurst/Sandhills area. Can fly direct to Raleigh and drive down if the beach is not a requirement or stay in the Raleigh area. A good number of courses around that are solid.

Spicoli is in Raleigh now ;). That said I enjoy Wilmington golf a few real good offerings down there. Many Myrtle courses did not come through the winter well this year and many are still feeling effects from it.

Always have the Pinehurst/Sandhills area. Can fly direct to Raleigh and drive down if the beach is not a requirement or stay in the Raleigh area. A good number of courses around that are solid.

Whoops. Shows you how much I know... I did play some nice tracks down in Wilmington, and surrounding areas, when I lived there. Doesn't sound as though he will have sticks in tow though.

No golf on this trip. I've always wanted to visit since I've heard such great things about the area. I've visited Georgia and Bama a couple times and loved every minute of it.

Myrtle beach can be trashy. Wilmington is nice. Outer banks are secluded and nice

Hilton Head is my preferred, have been going there since I was a kid. Quiet, pretty secluded and easy going.

Two options in my book: Charleston on the coast or Asheville in the mountains. Wilmington is OK but doesn’t hold a candle to Charleston. Asheville has become a tremendous destination, and Biltmore is a must-see. Both cities offer dozens of world-class restaurants and a big variety of accommodations. Skip Myrtle Beach unless you’re golfing with the guys. I’ve been all over both states, and Charleston and Asheville stand head and shoulders above the rest as travel destinations.

Outer Banks. I'd recommend a bed and breakfast in Ocracoke, and then drive up the OBX.

https://kiawahislandgetaways.com/things-to-do-in-charleston-sc/

Here's a write-up about day-tripping to Charleston from Kiawah. I'd suggest staying in Charleston and day-tripping to Kiawah (where the 1991 Ryder Cup was played) or one of the other local beaches, like Isle of Palms (there are many beach accesses along Palm Blvd. where you just pull off the road and walk to the beach) or Sullivan's Island (location of Fort Moultrie, where Edgar Allen Poe wrote some of his famous stories).

https://kiawahislandgetaways.com/things-to-do-in-charleston-sc/

Here's a write-up about day-tripping to Charleston from Kiawah. I'd suggest staying in Charleston and day-tripping to Kiawah (where the 1991 Ryder Cup was played) or one of the other local beaches, like Isle of Palms (there are many beach accesses along Palm Blvd. where you just pull off the road and walk to the beach) or Sullivan's Island (location of Fort Moultrie, where Edgar Allen Poe wrote some of his famous stories).
That's awesome, I'll give it a read tonight. Thank you.

reviving an old thread... I'll be headed to Holden Beach this year. I see some loaf golf here. Hoping to sneak away 2 times during vacation any recommendations?

reviving an old thread... I'll be headed to Holden Beach this year. I see some loaf golf here. Hoping to sneak away 2 times during vacation any recommendations?
River’s Edge
The Pearl
Thistle are really close. Myrtle is 45 minutes South.

I’d fly to Charleston. My favorite city in the states. Great food, history and good golf. Not too far from Hilton Head going South and Myrtle Beach going North.

River’s Edge
The Pearl
Thistle are really close. Myrtle is 45 minutes South.
any of those you eapeciay like? just looking for convenient early round

any of those you eapeciay like? just looking for convenient early round

All 3 are stellar! Can’t go wrong with any of them. Pearl and Thistle are basically across the street from each other. You could play one the drive across to the other for 36 holes. Let me know when you’re in town and if you would like a playing partner.

Back