The Aldila Difference

That is definitely cool, and I had no idea they made their own fibers! The ability to create a small batch and test stuff seems like a really awesome advantage.

Thanks for another awesome video! I love learning this stuff.

Thanks for another awesome video! I love learning this stuff.

You are welcome. When we toured the plant and saw the prepreg being made it was definitely a cool thing to watch. One of the gentlemen we met had been with Aldila doing this since the beginning.

Aldila was a pioneer in the graphite shaft industry and they are still the leader in my opinion. I usually prefer to use products that are a little different instead of monkey see monkey do, in this case I am happy to be a sheeple. I was reintroduced to Aldila recently when a forum member sent me a Rogue Silver 125 MSI in tour X flex. Even though this is a prior generation shaft I was blown away by the feel and graphics. There is a feeling of confidence when you have an Aldila shaft installed. For me its knowing everything from the design, materials used and QC were done by the best in the business. Thanks JB for the insight into Aldila.

Has Aldila been doing this all long as a company or is this model only after being acquired by MRC? After that acquisition I would imagine things would be a little easier for them since MRC makes their own prepreg.

Now that I am not mobile, can give more of a backstory.
Aldila started making prepreg in the late 90s and had their own plant in CA. It started in 1998 with carbon fiber and then the following year they started making prepreg.
Mitsubishi starting making prepreg decades ago in Japan. In 1990, Mitsubshi bought Newport Composites, but had been in partnership with them since the late 70s. Mitsubishi Shafts is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Chemical, in the carbon fiber part of the company.

Just wanted to make sure you saw this and it answered the question.
I can get more on dates and what material names they have been producing if it helps as well.

Just wanted to make sure you saw this and it answered the question.
I can get more on dates and what material names they have been producing if it helps as well.

I did and thank you for the responses. I was trying to go back on the timeline in my head because I know how MRC was big in to that process as well. Do you know if they consolidated any of the factories after the acquisition, or move/share some technologies on each others behalf(if that makes sense)?

I did and thank you for the responses. I was trying to go back on the timeline in my head because I know how MRC was big in to that process as well. Do you know if they consolidated any of the factories after the acquisition, or move/share some technologies on each others behalf(if that makes sense)?

Yes. There is consolidation of both factories and offices taking and have taken place.
They are still considered separate brands and moving forward will remain that way from a product stand point, but sharing of ideas will undoubtedly be part of it.

Yes. There is consolidation of both factories and offices taking and have taken place.
They are still considered separate brands and moving forward will remain that way from a product stand point, but sharing of ideas will undoubtedly be part of it.

Two powerhouse brands too. SO many good shaft options have come out of Aldila and MRC.

Two powerhouse brands too. SO many good shaft options have come out of Aldila and MRC.

A lot of my favorites from those two. The Tour Green/blue/red is still one of my favorite shaft lines ever released.

Back