The Aldila Difference

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a quick THP TV spot shot in the Aldila Tour Room, discussing one of the things that makes this brand unique.

That’s pretty astounding, making their own fibers is really impressive, I’m sure it provides all kinds of benefits for testing and other things. Great spot JB!

• Admin
That’s pretty astounding, making their own fibers is really impressive, I’m sure it provides all kinds of benefits for testing and other things. Great spot JB!

Thanks. It was really interesting to watch and learn more about the fibers and see small batch runs done. It is not to say others are not making exceptional shafts, because they are, just a different process.

This is really freaking cool to learn. Reminds me of the company I work for. The owner was tired of depending on materials produced by others with different standards than his own so he started creating his own materials to produce his own end product. Its sort of the epitome of the American Dream. Really cool video and it makes me proud to have some Aldila in my bag

That's really cool - I never knew that Aldila not only made shafts, but were actually one of the companies making the fiber. The ability to make small batches to try out is really interesting. I bet there have been some more "out there" things tried over the years with that process.

Really cool and impressive story. They are definitely a complete operation.

so they're not buying big rolls of prepreg? they're making all of that in-house?

• Admin
so they're not buying big rolls of prepreg? they're making all of that in-house?

They make their own pre-preg and other companies have bought from them.
With that said, not every material they use, is made in house. Most are however.

They make their own pre-preg and other companies have bought from them.
With that said, not every material they use, is made in house. Most are however.

that's pretty freaking cool

That's impressive tech right there. I knew there was a reason why I liked Aldila

I have always been impressed with Aldila shafts. Now I am even more impressed. Just might find some in my bag in the future.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Had zero idea I thought all the shaft companies outsourced the materials used to create a shaft. This is pretty cool

Having been in the composite aircraft manufacturing business for 28 years, I can really appreciate what Aldila is doing to make their own materials "in house".
The small batch process for testing is a luxury that most manufacturers only dream of.
We have started doing this similarly for some of our products and it is game changing.

Thanks for the insight JB !

They must have some pretty smart dudes there to accomplish that. Very cool that a company is creating from the ground up.

Most out source for cost reasons, correct??? How is Aldila able to remain competitive with cost if they are producing in house? Admittedly, i know very little about the shaft industry. Just curious.

Most out source for cost reasons, correct??? How is Aldila able to remain competitive with cost if they are producing in house? Admittedly, i know very little about the shaft industry. Just curious.

Its not necessarily cost from what most consider but the cost of machines, etc. Don Brown explains it in our Lab Rats Series about why some brands choose to purchase materials and that can make sense too.

Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is super interesting, I never would have thought any shaft company had that kind of control over all of those aspects. Very cool video.

That is super interesting, I never would have thought any shaft company had that kind of control over all of those aspects. Very cool video.

Its something that I think we are coming to as information is more accessible. More people (at least those that want to) are learning about shafts and their creation.

Has Aldila been doing this all long as a company or is this model only after being acquired by MRC? After that acquisition I would imagine things would be a little easier for them since MRC makes their own prepreg.

Has Aldila been doing this all long as a company or is this model only after being acquired by MRC? After that acquisition I would imagine things would be a little easier for them since MRC makes their own prepreg.

They had their CA plant for years. I believe they started making carbon going back to 1998.

Now that I am not mobile, can give more of a backstory.
Aldila started making prepreg in the late 90s and had their own plant in CA. It started in 1998 with carbon fiber and then the following year they started making prepreg.
Mitsubishi starting making prepreg decades ago in Japan. In 1990, Mitsubshi bought Newport Composites, but had been in partnership with them since the late 70s. Mitsubishi Shafts is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Chemical, in the carbon fiber part of the company.

This is really cool, and makes me proud of my Aldila shafts in driver and fw.

Back