Utility irons, which one

majBC

Reaction score
Reading JB's thread about adding another driver to his bag got me thinking. I actually have two slots in my bag and although I have carried two drivers with varying degrees of success I am considering a utility/driving iron. It seems most club manufacturers offer one. My use would be 90% tee shots. And 10% punch out shots. I'm looking for a 20*-22* loft and would like to know which one you would suggest and why?

I recently added the Callaway apex utility to my bag for exactly this purpose. It has really become a fairway finder and gives me ~190 off the tee. In the winter months, finding the fairway has been critical at home course because it is very wet and typically has LCP in place for the winter.

Weighting is great, the graphite shafts are fantastic, and it gives feedback without too much punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Srixon 20* u45, w/s 18* v4 and have messed around with the apex. Each one is pretty good and really depends on what type of look a person is going for.

The Srixon U45 and Callaway Apex are great clubs, but I prefer the Apex. Really enjoy mine.

I have a Srixon 20* u45, w/s 18* v4 and have messed around with the apex. Each one is pretty good and really depends on what type of look a person is going for.

It's not really a look for me its for a use purpose. It would be for tee balls and long par 3's. Also why would a utility iron be better than a set 3 or 4 iron for this purpose?

Last edited:
I never thought I would even consider a club like this. However, my problems with hybrids led me to trying the apex utility clubs and I absolutely loved hitting them. Not sure what the deal is, but the Callaway is just an easy club to hit. When I had my trouble with a driver 5 years ago I played some weird driving iron and it at least kept me playing for a while, so to play the apex off the tee would be a real weapon for me.

It's not really a look for me its for a use purpose. It would be for tee balls and long par 3's. Also why would a utility iron be better than a set 3 or 4 iron for this purpose?

The utility is considered a hybrid and will have more meat than the 3 or 4 iron. I struggled with hybrids for awhile and really couldn't get along with them on the tee. With the utility off the tee I found it forgiving and played similar to an iron. The feel of them are solid. I struggle with them off the deck but that's a swing fault.

The utility is considered a hybrid and will have more meat than the 3 or 4 iron. I struggled with hybrids for awhile and really couldn't get along with them on the tee. With the utility off the tee I found it forgiving and played similar to an iron. The feel of them are solid. I struggle with them off the deck but that's a swing fault.

I was able to try the Srixon U45 in 23* and it worked well for me and I was even able to hit it from the turf. I noticed it seemed to fly higher than a set similar lofted iron and I'm not sure that is a positive. I do think from the deck it is probably a plus. I seem to have less problem keeping the ball straight with the utility vs a hybrid. I guess use would dictate which is better or more versatile. I wonder if a heavier shaft on a hybrid might be more forgiving than a utility iron?

I was able to try the Srixon U45 in 23* and it worked well for me and I was even able to hit it from the turf. I noticed it seemed to fly higher than a set similar lofted iron and I'm not sure that is a positive. I do think from the deck it is probably a plus. I seem to have less problem keeping the ball straight with the utility vs a hybrid. I guess use would dictate which is better or more versatile. I wonder if a heavier shaft on a hybrid might be more forgiving than a utility iron?

One of the issues I had with hybrid is the pull or hook. I don't have that with the u45. Also like the height and ball flight with the u45 vs hybrid both from the tee and deck

Well this is my take.
I have a (Tour Edge) cb pro iron and I love the thing - even the the guys at my golf store that put my grip on it thought it was a good quality club

As a senior, I've configured my current set in 4º increments through a twelve club progression from 14 to 58º. (A stronger-lofted 460cc driver just doesn't fit my game at this point.) Outside of that progression are my putter, of course, and my driving iron.

I'd been playing with a Mizuno Fli-Hi 18º utility iron fitted with an Aldila NV Comp 85 shaft to match my irons and wedges. It was a very serviceable club for hitting ugly line drives under the wind on tight driving holes.

I've now found something better. One degree weaker at 19º, my Epon AF-901 lets me hit the same stinger tee shot with fewer mishits. Since the entire purpose of this shot is to put the ball safely into play and into position for an approach shot from a good fairway lie, even a small improvement in eliminating mis-hits is a big benefit. The AF-901 is very forgiving and certainly the easiest to hit long iron--easy to hit long iron being pretty much an oxymoron in itself--that I've encountered in over fifty years of golf.

The AF-901 is also available at 22º. The stock Machline UT370 shaft isn't bad at all, but I like to match all of my iron and wedge shafts--even though in this case I don't see a huge difference.

Attachments

• Fort Worth 15  VI.jpg
    Fort Worth 15 VI.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 0
Reading JB's thread about adding another driver to his bag got me thinking. I actually have two slots in my bag and although I have carried two drivers with varying degrees of success I am considering a utility/driving iron. It seems most club manufacturers offer one. My use would be 90% tee shots. And 10% punch out shots. I'm looking for a 20*-22* loft and would like to know which one you would suggest and why?

I'm a big fan of Tour Edge Exotics CB

As a senior, I've configured my current set in 4º increments through a twelve club progression from 14 to 58º. (A stronger-lofted 460cc driver just doesn't fit my game at this point.) Outside of that progression are my putter, of course, and my driving iron.

I'd been playing with a Mizuno Fli-Hi 18º utility iron fitted with an Aldila NV Comp 85 shaft to match my irons and wedges. It was a very serviceable club for hitting ugly line drives under the wind on tight driving holes.

I've now found something better. One degree weaker at 19º, my Epon AF-901 lets me hit the same stinger tee shot with fewer mishits. Since the entire purpose of this shot is to put the ball safely into play and into position for an approach shot from a good fairway lie, even a small improvement in eliminating mis-hits is a big benefit. The AF-901 is very forgiving and certainly the easiest to hit long iron--easy to hit long iron being pretty much an oxymoron in itself--that I've encountered in over fifty years of golf.

The AF-901 is also available at 22º. The stock Machline UT370 shaft isn't bad at all, but I like to match all of my iron and wedge shafts--even though in this case I don't see a huge difference.

I'm not sure which is more forgiving a utility/driving iron with a graphite shaft or a hybrid with a steel shaft that is stiffer than I really need. My main purpose would be for tight holes or shorter holes and windy conditions.

Good question, majBC, but steel shafts aren't an option for me. They make my messed up hands swell.

Don't let your babies box, moms and dads.

I added the Apex UT last spring and it's been a very useful club for me.

Great off the tee for long par 3's.
Also a great club if you find yourself hitting out from under trees. Keeps the ball low, and you can still get a tonne of distance.

I almost fever use it in the fairway though.

I demo'ed a Mizuno as well (MP-H4) that was significantly longer and even easier to hit. However, it didn't feel as good, and was harder to shape the ball with. The top line was hard on the eyes.

Good question, majBC, but steel shafts aren't an option for me. They make my messed up hands swell.

Don't let your babies box, moms and dads.

I've got a M1 mashie (15.5°) hybrid with a 4- iron steel shaft (traction 85 regular flex) extended to play at 40.5" that is excellent from the tee and can be good from the fairway when hit correctly. I've also had a 21° iron with a 39.5" graphite shaft that worked well as well but didn't have both at the same time to compare. Both could be good options.

Back