Do You Experiment with Putter Grips?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine that is a fringe golfer, but seems to change putters before each of his 5-6 rounds a year. He said he liked his current one the best (Odyssey #7, no clue on model), and when I asked why, he mentioned the grip fits perfectly and is his favorite. We started talking about changing putter grips to different putters and he said he had always just put the same grip on every putter, (old Winn grip) and that this was causing him to rethink things.

Im one that experiments with lots of different grips, I suppose it goes with the job, but I wonder if I am in the minority here.

Do you test out different putter grips, or are you someone that knows what they like and sticks with it with each putter?

I have experimented in the past always searching for something with the putter. I have tried the SS 3.0, 2.0 and counterbalance, I have also tried the SNSR and the Rosemark 1.52. The one that I have always considered but haven't given a shot yet for some reason is the SS Pistol. Currently having success with the stock pistol grips on the 2 putters in my rotation which is the O-works Black #7 and Scotty Newport 2.

I almost always do my own grips and with putter grips I'm always worried it will be crooked haha.

Nope. I stick with SS 2.0 or Pistol GT2.0 and that is all I will play. I need to get some more of those....

I've experimented now and then in the past. But, since finding the Golf Pride Tour SNSR Midsize Contour grip (thanks THP), I put that grip on any putter that goes into my bag. I've never had another putter grip that has felt so "natural" in my hands.

I have tried a ton of putter grips in the last few years. I think I have finally nailed down a size and shape I like. Maybe. lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nope. if it works, i'm too scared to mess things up.

I try anything if I think it will help my putting. Oversize, midsize, pistol, straight ... I've tried them all. I have settled on the Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour grip with some Tourna Grip (for tennis) over the grip.

I have tried quite a few recently but it all comes down to streaks. I put well in streaks regardless of the grip I use.

I've tried a bunch and some grips work better with certain types of putters for me. With my offset putters (7, 1W, etc) I seem to gravitate towards the SS2.0 or more recently the SNSR Contour 140. Alternatively, I've got a blue UTx mega paddle on my Bettinardi that I love when I actually game it, and I'm planning on putting the same on my Lajosi. Only common theme is that they're all oversized but not huge like the SS3.0 and up.

I’ve go between the SS 3.0 to the SS Flatso 3.0 to the SNSR Contour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, not as much as I should. I don't think I've found a putter grip that feels absolutely perfect to me, from a size/material/shape perspective. I really want to try some of the newer offerings.

I constantly tinker, but as far as putter grips go, no matter how many times I try things out I keep going back to the SNSR contour 140

I regripped my putter when I bought it with the flatso 1.0 and have putted great with it so no need to change. When this one wears out or I try a new putter I would be open to trying something new though.

With my previous putter, including the stock grip, I went through 4 different grips. Once I settled, I was quite happy and chose to regrip another putter with the same.

But when I switched to the Directed Force putter, I immediately fell in love with the stock Presse grip. It's so different that I'm not at all sure that it would suit another putter but if i were to switch putters, I'm almost certain that I'd try the Presse grip on it.

I try a lot at the store but havent found one I like. I thought the slim 2.0 was the one but went back and tried it only to feel uncomfortable with it. I kinda know what I am looking for but haven't found it.

Somewhat or until I can find “The One”!

I test out/switch out grips all the time on my putters. Some work better with different grips from my experience.

Once I finally settled on what type of grip to take with my hands that works for me(claw), I found the Siper Stroke Flatso 3.0 counterweight to be a very good combination for me and have not liked anything else in my hands since.

Different for sure, can't say I've used the same grip in succession on anything, except for maybe the THP SS grips, but even then they were in different sizes.

I don't like to change putter grips, I prefer trying to keep some consistency with my putter. With that said, I used an oversize WINN for almost five years and a few months I changed to a Super Stroke.

I rifle through sooooo many putter grips. Actually, doing it quite a bit lately. Trying out so bigger ones with a flatter top end.

My typicaly go to has been the Superstroke GTR Pistol 2.0 countercore.

Until about a year ago, I was constanly experimenting with different grips. Never saw any improvement so I sticking with a discontinued Lamkin grip that too me feels better than anything else I tried.

I haven't in the past year-plus. I never set up my vice while I was living in Florida, nor have I set it up here in Georgia, so if I wanted a different grip I'd have to stop being lazy or bring it to a pro shop somewhere.

For now, though, I like the stock grip on my putter anyway, and haven't felt the need to switch it.

I'm open minded and like to try different ones, but ultimately I always go back to the Gripmaster Stitchback in standard size. I liked the SS Pistol GT Tour for a while but in the end I just hate the way superstrokes material feel in my hands, especially when they get wet. I have a small stash of Gripmaster Jumbo grips for whenever I get the urge to use a larger one.

Back