Johnny Miller May Retire? Will You Miss His Commentary or Not?

Johnny Miller May Retire? Will You Miss His Commentary or Not?

• Yes, he's great for the game ... he should stay

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • No, he's annoying and won't be missed

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Could care less one way or the other

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Johnny Miller? Who is that?

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
So looks as though Johnny Miller may be calling it quits after the Phoenix Open next year right before the Super Bowl. His contract is up & future in doubt.

So what say you ... like him, dislike him, could care less & why?

I myself think his witty commentary can be annoying sometimes but I think he's still good for golf. Some people may miss him behind the Mic & in the booth.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jo...pJobID=1462611185&spReportId=MTQ2MjYxMTE4NQS2

Overall I liked Miller's assessments. He was never one for pulling any punches...I liked that.

i don't find him annoying, but i won't necessarily miss him. i find faldo far more annoying.

Nope I will not miss him. He brought a good perspective, but seemed to let his ego get in the way of being a great announcer.

But who will call it a chunk and run?

He was a fantastic player but I’ve never cared for his commentary!

My answer is not exactly up there. I voted he should stay, but I don't think it is because he is great for the game. I think he is smug and full of himself and I like to laugh at him. He entertains me so I hope he sticks around. Guy was a great player and still believes he could go out and beat the young whipper snappers today.

For the most part I like him. Will I miss him? That all depends on who fills his role.

i don't find him annoying, but i won't necessarily miss him. i find faldo far more annoying.

I think I prefer Faldo, but not by much. They are both goofy and annoying in their own way, but I still like them both.

I think Miller has long been televisions best golf "color commentator". It will not be easy to replace him.
NBC has tried out guys like Peter Jacobsen , but he simply states the obvious and is uninspiring.
I think Paul Azinger is probably the guy who could come close to offering up informative and interesting commentary, similar to what Miller brought to the broadcasts.

Won't miss him. He is just dry.

... I could not stand Miller when he started but like many, he mellowed with age. He will be hard to replace.

No. No I won’t.

**** no.

Johnny Miller is a lot like shocking the monkey with a cheese grater.
Mildly amusing in theory, but painful to watch, listen to or try.

Not to be missed, was hugely annoying and would not shut up. Happy Trails

Didn't necessarily like him, but I'm resistant to change, so I generally just endure poor commentary among all sports and assume something different may be worse...

He was all too often a pompous ass, but he was the one guy near a microphone who didnt see the golf through rose colored glasses and was willing to call out a poor shot.

I will miss him greatly if the story is true. I love the fact he didn't kiss-up to the tour players he was covering. I thought his criticism was generally spot on, not shocking many of the tour pros had a problem with him. That said I thought the comments made about Craig Parry at Doral were over the top. But I felt even Johnny toned it down after that incident.

In all honesty, golf tournaments are best viewed with the TV muted, if you can't attend in person. Sports announcers and their incessant need to chat about meaningless trivia, are amongst the dumbest members of society.
And I don't care how high the shot apex is, or how much spin it has. I might like to know what brand and club # they hit, which they rarely tell you. Johnny Miller was a good pro golfer about 40 years ago. He needs an enormous dose of humility.

Johnny Miller is 71 years old. At that age I do not expect him to reconsider retirement.
To replace Miller, NBC has been trying out Peter Jacobsen and Justin Leonard, but I think those guys are too bland.
If NBC does not hire Paul Azinger, Mark Brooks has proven to be good at providing both information about shots the players face as well as some spicy commentary

Personally I will miss him, I like his brutal honesty, calling it like it is! Not caring what anybody thinks. I will admit often times I was surprised at some of the things he said but at the end of the tournament I'd like more of his comments and announcing than I didn't.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I will miss him and his commentary. I’ve always been a fan of his.

Back