Your Best & Worst of 2015

Just_Hacking

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I thought it might be fun to share our 2015 season with the rest of THP. Tells us how many rounds, about your best round, your worst round, your best shot, your worst shot, most memorable, least memorable and anything else you want to share about golf in 2015. I realize that there may actually be a few more rounds played over the next 3 days, but post when your 2015 season is over.

I will start things off:

Number of Rounds: 43
Best Round: 91 at Southern Hills
Worst Round: 110 at Kinderlou Forrest
Best Shot: Had to be my closest to the Pin at Riverview Golf Course in charity scramble. Left it about 3 feet from the pin.
Worst Shot: So many to choose from, but I am going to go with one of my infamous tops. One actually went about 6 yards...sideways. So much ugly in my swing sometimes.
Least Memorable: Hitting a bad shot at Bull Creek in Columbus, GA and launching my driver about 15 yards past where the ball landed. I hate it when I react that way. I should be use to bad shouts by now!!!
Most Memorable: Lots of things to choose here, but I am going to go with the September round at Southern Hills. My wife came out with me and drove the cart. The weather was great and we had a fun day.

I didn't get a chance to attend any official THP events in 2015, but I know that there should be a ton of good memories from those many rounds shared so post them up.

2015 was a bit of a mixed year for me with regards to golf due to my back problems

I don't know how many rounds I managed to play but as far as I am concerned it wasn't enough
Best score of the year was at my home course and was an 81 (Par 72) and 5 shots under my handicap
Worst score of the year was probably day 2 of our UK event at Close House - I can't remember the score but by the time we got to the 18th I was struggling to hit a ball

Most memorable would have to be our 2 day UK event and spending time with friends who I probably only get to see at our annual gathering, which also makes it the worst thing of the year when everyone leaves to head home and I know that it will probably be another 12 months before we get the chance to get together for more golf and laughs again

I don't really count how many rounds I play each year but best and worst are easy because they occurred almost the sane week. On Sunday of the week I was playing a links course, par 3 #10. After having a decent first 9 I was feeling good and promptly hit 3 shots out of bounds. Once I got it to the green it took 4 putts to get home. Definitely my worst. Yet at the end of the week I flew down to Florida for the Bridgestone championship and felt I played some of the greatest golf all year. Decent drives off the tee and other shots appropriate for my handicap and the fact I was playing on different grass than normal.

fun thread

Number of Rounds: 40 rounds so far, with one scheduled for thursday
Best Round: 77 at Marsh Creek Country Club (differentialed at 4.3 although i have a 76 that differentialed at 5.4)
Worst Round: 99 at Waldorf Astoria, the only full 18 holes i've played at a THP event:banana:
Best Shot: hmmm, I don't have a great memory. I did hole out for eagle on #1 when i shot that 76 earlier this year, but to be honest I hit and thought I chunked it!
Worst Shot: Probably every drive and every putt I hit at the Waldorf at LIITA that Saturday when I shot the 99. Bless the hearts of the guys in my foursome because it was really ugly and they were really nice about it!
Least Memorable: See Worst Shot above. I really played my worst golf of the year that day.
Most Memorable: Probably taking my boys to the par 3 at Grand National over Thanksgiving and watching them have a blast hitting the ball. Second to that, the couples round at LIITA with the Cobra staffers. I had so much fun with my wife, watching her try hard on the putts and still have fun.

No idea how many rounds. I'd bet 25+ to be safe.

Best round was an even par 71. Worst round was an 85. Best shot was a 70y hole out for eagle. Worst shot was one of my shanks in the 85 round. There were 2 or 3 that day.

Best moment may be shooting a legit 58 in Black Clover's scramble tournament. The foursome was a blast and I made 2 good friends out of it. Worst moment, not making any THP events

Best scoring round was on Christmas Eve when I broke 80 for the first time all year(79).
Best round I had that I didn't break 80 was when I shot 84 with a 10 on the card.
Best non-THP Event Experience: Playing Bethpage Black with O'Carroll, Scarnici, and TheChosen1. That course has been on my must play list since I was senior in HS and went to my first Major Championship there in 2002.
Shot of the year: Holing out from 142 with a PW at the MA Gathering
Best THP Event to follow: PX Handcrafted
Best THP Experience: The Grandaddy

Worst scoring round: 93
Worst hole of the year: getting a 10 during a round that I was striking it really well
Nemesis hole: #11 at Saratoga Lake, that tee shot just killed me all year no matter what I hit.
Least enjoyable rounds: Bridgestone Invitational, not because of the company, but because I could barely swing a club.

From the rounds that I have records on:
Worst: 85 (Twin Lakes Golf Course, Blackhorse Golf Course - South)
Best: 73 (River Plantation Golf Club)

Best Shot: On the nine that I broke par, I made about a 15 foot par putt on 17. I knew I was going to break par when that rolled in.
Worst Shot: around hole 12 of the KC Invitational, I hit an absolute top off the tee box into the water... that was a rough day

Most Memorable: breaking par on 9 holes for the first time ever (33, -2)
Least Memorable: can't remember :D

Number of Round: Somewhere around 40 seems about right
Best Round: best 9 hole score was 37, best 18 hole score was 74
Worst Round: 87 at Waldorf Astoria the first round there. Couldnt keep the ball in play
Best Shot:We were playing at a gathering in Michigan at Eagle Crest and i hit my drive behind a tree and the tree was directly in my line to the green. OB left, long and tree trouble right. I opened my stance and played the ball back in my stance trying to hit a massive 50 yard cut shot to the green from 160. Took a hooded 7i and swung as hard as i could while praying i didnt hit the tree in front of me and pulled the shot off and ended up on the green hole high. Still cant believe i was able to pull the shot off.
Worst Shot: could be my missed 5 foot putt to close out HashtagChad on 17 in our match at the Grandaddy. Thankfully i closed the match out on 18 but the putt on 17 was god awful. I couldnt get my hands to stop shaking.
Least Memorable: Malort
Most Memorable: There are two for me. First is when MrsV drained a 30 foot birdie putt to win me a driver during LIITA. Something i will never forget and never let down haha and the second would be JB telling me i was MVP of the Gauntlet and that i was going to the Grandaddy

Man, 2015 was one hell of a year

Best scoring round was a round I played with my wife where I shot an 80 after sticking a wedge to an inch on 18 for birdie. I initially thought it was a 79 but we missed a penalty stroke.

Worst round, scoring-wise, was probably the round I played w/ ddec, OITW, and O'Carroll at Cyprian Keyes. I didn't really keep score (we were playing best ball), but there were lots of penalties in that round.

Best shot: hitting the flagstick from about 135 with a PW on a blind shot.
Worst shot: Shanking a SW from the middle of the fairway into the woods from about 70 at Pinehills playing w/ arydolphin

Best THP experience: Savannah Invitational. Only able to get to one event last year, but it was a fantastic time.
Best Event to follow: Handcrafted, both before, during, and after the event. Those threads were phenomenal.

Best non-THP experience: Playing Mauna Kea w/ my wife while we were on vacation. On golfboards. Parred #3 - the signature par 3 over the ocean.

Best Round: 81 at North Bellingham Golf Course in Bellingham, WA. However, I also shot an 84 on a much more difficult course, the Pete Dye River Course at Virginia Tech, which may have honestly been a better round.
Worst Round: 106 at Tobiano Golf Course in Kamloops, BC. Enjoyed every minute of it though.
Best Shot: A couple of good contenders, but I'm going with a 3 hybrid from 210 that set up a 12 foot eagle putt for my only eagle of the year at The Home Course in DuPont, WA.
Worst Shot: Way too many choices here...one that sticks out given the circumstance was on hole 16 at Torrey South. Sandiegonative tells me "OK, you can miss anywhere but short in that bunker." Three guesses where I went hahahaha. Another contender is when I missed so far left on #9 at Balboa Park that I was behind the restroom building and I couldn't even hit it at the green!
Least Memorable: I've already forgotten it :alien:
Most Memorable: Rolling my own shaft at Project X HQ for #TheHandCraftedExperience. I will never forget that, and neither of those shafts will ever leave my possession.
Best Event Follow: For me this year it was UST. That's the event that kind of convinced me to try for #TheHandCraftedExperience. Danny seemed like such an awesome dude.

What a great year. Hoping 2016 can top it!!

I didn't have too many worsts, plenty of rounds in the low 90's when I was struggling.

Best of the year were easy, and there were two weekends. One was at the Bridgestone Championship, shooting shamble scores of 76-75 with my partner, then not throwing up on ourselves completely in the second round to win it. The other was at the Gethering at Kinderlou. Had such a blast in the competition rounds, and tied my personal best with a 77 playing with Wake in the afternoon after several drinks just playing around with a $20 replay rate.

My best single shot under the circumstances was probably my second shot to 18 in round 1 at Legacy at True Blue. We were 4 down at the turn, I made 3 birdies on the back including at 18. We thought we needed a birdie to tie the match, stepped up and hit a perfect 9 iron from 135 to about 3 feet. It was the most clutch shot I've ever hit under pressure, although it turned out after the fact the HC's we had were incorrect so the tap in birdie didn't matter.

Best Round: My best round was only a partial round because I was lucky enough to win my Sunday Singles match at The Legacy 7&5. +1 thru 13.

Worst Round: Alt shot at the Legacy. Couldn't pull my head out of my butt & got closed out on the 16th @ Caledonia.

Best shot: Hole out for eagle from 180 at a local course.

Worst shot: See "Worst round" above. OB left off the 1st tee.

2015 best...a Red Grange (77) for a net 64.

2015 worst....nasty dog bite made me miss last month of season.

51 rounds posted YTD on handicap, played more but numerous were tourneys where a score couldn't be posted.

Low of 79 (twice), high of 96.

Worst scoring year since 2012 I think.

Number of Rounds: Somewhere between 40 and 50 I believe
Best Round: 75
Worst Round: I believe it was at the start of the year and was mid to upper 90's.
Best Shot: Hmm...either my almost HIO from 175, or my 2nd shot on a par 5 day 1 of the gauntlet to 10 feet which led to my first ever eagle.
Worst Shot: I had a few s words this year that went OB or in the water. Take your pick on those.
Least Memorable: Probably the worst round of the year mentioned above.
Most Memorable: The Gauntlet. The whole damn thing. Such a great event.

Best round: 81 at Oak Quarry the day after Up and Down. No clue how I managed to do that.
Worst round: Whatever I shot at the Torrey North (100+) with the guys that did the Handcrafted experience
Most memorable: Strawberry Farms in the Up and Down event with Cleveland, was just an awesome time all around.

Number of rounds: probably over 100 some where

Best round: I shot 85 twice.

Worst round: 100, with THPers. I probably played worse at the Pittsburgh Invitational on the back nine though! Then again one of my 85's was with a THPer.

Best shot: a few stick out, but I'll go with 85 yards out on a severe side hill lie to a blind pin in match play to a few inches down in TN.

Worst shot. A lot stick out, but I'll go with a crappy putt I had from 5 feet for birdie that ended up further from the hole and a bogey.

Least memorable: I guess my least favorite round was on Columbus Day. I picked a course that looked to be empty online, but was actually packed. I got paired up with a couple guys, one of which was so awfully annoying and the round was over 5 hours. The weather was awesome though, so I stick it out.

Most memorable: I'm fortunate there's a lot to choose from here. From having Waldorf Astoria all to myself one morning in January to lots of fun rounds with THPers, the one that sticks out is at Black Creek in TN, for many reasons. I elevated my play during competition, I really enjoyed the course and the guys I played with were fantastic. But really, I could name so many others in its place, which is why I love golf so much.

This won't take me that long, ha!

Total number of rounds...less than 12. SMH

Best: The KC Invitational at Prairie Highlands. Though it was a partner event, my partner didn't do a whole lot. I (we) shot a -1 under 35 on the front 9, and a 4 over 40 on the back for a 3 over 75 (might have been a 39, 74.) and that's because we had to use his score on the last few holes. I was playing really well that day, it felt like how I played back in college, if felt good!

Worst: The day BEFORE the KC Invitational! lol Seriously, talk about night and day in my game! Based on how I was playing while with everyone at Deer Creek, I almost felt like not going to the event the next day, it was THAT bad. Though the rain and wet conditions didn't help, it didn't matter though. If I shanked one of my wedges once, I bet it was more like 6 times. We didn't even finish 18 because it was POURING, but it didn't matter. I was squarely looking at a 95 right in the face! To take 20 shots off your game from one day to the next, that felt good.

Cool Thread...I will give it a go
# of Rounds: 70ish
Best Round: 97 at Amana Colonies (Not my lowest score, but my best round by far) Played out of my mind with a great group of people. Round was starting to go south and I chipped in from 15 yards to salvage it.
Worst Round: 113 at Amana Colonies (2 weeks after my best round, go figure). It was the only time all year that I wanted no part of being on a golf course.
Best Shot: Either my eagle at Hunters Ridge or the Chip in at Amana.
Worst Shot: I can do some amazingly bad things with a ball sometimes.
Most Memorable: Feeling on my eagle putt as it started tracking to the hole.
Least Memorable: I forgot

Solid year for me, really excited to see what 2016 has in store for me golf wise!

Number of rounds...I don't count
Best round - 70 on a par 71 course
Worst round - 92 on the same course (roughest golf day of my life)
Best shot - 225 yd with 18* hybrid to 2 ft for tap in eagle.
Worst shot - On the 14th hole of my home course....a complete whiff with the driver. (haven't done that in 40 years)

Played around 40 rounds this year. Loved everyone.

Best round was an 81 at the Prairies here locally to St. Louis.

Worst round was over 100, can't remember where. I try to block out the bad. :)

Worst Shot: Hit a scalding drive a little too far and nearly hit some guys on the green. I still feel bad about that.

Best Shot: Pin is at the bottom of a bowl with a nasty 4 foot slant all around it. I'm about 25 feet out on the second tier of the green. I putted my ball perpendicular to the bowl, caught the edge, rolled down, turned left and ran in. The ball path was a "C". Most unbelievable putt I've ever made.

Best: Getting together with a whole lot of other THPers at Tot Hill Farm, knocking down a couple of birdies, and just having an awesome weekend of golf.

Worst: Actually pretty recently, just been going through a big plateau where I haven't seen much improvement with my game.

# of Rounds Posted: 103 so far. Should get in 2 more, weather permitting, by 12/31/15
Best Round: 70 (-2) at my home course about 2 months ago. Round included my best 9 hole score ever (32, -4).
Worst Round: I believe it was an 87 somewhere. I think it was at the Golf Course of South GA when Miller Time drug me out in some ridiculous weather! haha
Best Shot: Had to be the chip in for birdie on 14 during the Hilton Head Invitational.
Worst Shot: The futile attempts to clear the pit of death on #4 at Kinderlou Forest during the spring GA / FL Gethering.
Least Memorable: I have nothing. Any day on the golf course instead of working is a good day!
Most Memorable: All rounds played with THPers in official and unofficial events. Those rounds ALWAYS produce lasting memories!

Best round of the year was a -2 69 at Coyote Lakes in Surprise Arizona, with my 74 at El Campeon a close second.

Best non-THP Event Experience: I don't count it as an event, but Staff Retreat was a pretty awesome time with all of my THP family. Spending a few days with Canadan at his home course was a extremely close 2nd.

Shot of the year: My double breakers putt at Moon Valley CC in my company tournament from 60'

Best THP Event to follow: The Grandaddy

Best THP Experience: The King was amazing from start to finish.

Worst scoring round: 83 at Las Colinas on day 1 of Staff Retreat

Worst hole of the year: Every hole during that round.

Nemesis hole: #18 at El Campeon. I just can't seem to make that tee shot.

Least enjoyable rounds: Last Sunday at Trail Ridge in Sun City West, AZ. 30-40 mph winds and sub-40 temps were no bueno.

Number of Rounds: 101
Best Round: 87 at Oak Brook
Worst Round: 112 at Spencer T Olin
Best Shot: 25 yard pitch from a side hill lie over a bunker to a short pin... one bounce and drained it
Worst Shot: 3 putt bogey on 18 for a 90 (my first real shot at breaking 90 and I 3 jacked the green!!!)
Least Memorable: Yanking 3 shots OB on a single hole
Most Memorable: Too many memorable moments to count... maybe the first time I made par on my nemesis hole (same hole on which I had yanked three shots OB previously)

Back