Tiger Changing Putters Again?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Out practicing with both his Ardmore and the TaylorMade TP Collection Black Copper Juno. Similar model to what DJ has been seen with as of late, since moving on from the Spider.

Thought we would see the old faithful Scotty back in the bag this week.

Did something change in his contract? I cant see him gaming a newport style putter that isnt his normal newport. Unless its more for the insert

• Admin
Did something change in his contract? I cant see him gaming a newport style putter that isnt his normal newport. Unless its more for the insert

From what I know, his contract has not changed.

I said it before and I'll say it again - Indian, not the arrow

Hope he puts the blade in. Pretty sure he said one of his main reasons for the Mallet was for slower greens, especially at The Open. Bellerive's greens has to play a bit slower too because of the weather. TPC Boston historically has very fast greens. So he might just be more comfortable with the blade on them, and he putted terribly last week with the mallet. Its a good time to change it up.

• Admin
Hope he puts the blade in. Pretty sure he said one of his main reasons for the Mallet was for slower greens, especially at The Open. Bellerive's greens has to play a bit slower too because of the weather. TPC Boston historically has very fast greens. So he might just be more comfortable with the blade on them, and he putted terribly last week with the mallet. Its a good time to change it up.

He is using both right now, so its anybody's guess, but I think he ends up with a blade in the bag pretty soon.

Didn’t think it would last long.

He is using both right now, so its anybody's guess, but I think he ends up with a blade in the bag pretty soon.

Agree, I think he puts the blade in play this week.

I thought he was missing putts because he wasn't reading them right? Guess he's not as comfortable with the mallet style as we thought.

I thought he was missing putts because he wasn't reading them right? Guess he's not as comfortable with the mallet style as we thought.

I think it was speed more than read. Couple of the misses I saw were just the ball doing funny things as it was slowing down by the hole. When he gets going on the greens, the ball hammers the back of the cup

Sometimes all you need is a brief timeout from old faithful and the magic will come back. I hope to see him back in the blade soon.

Sometimes all you need is a brief timeout from old faithful and the magic will come back. I hope to see him back in the blade soon.

My thought as well. I think the blade comes back soon and hope that helps the putter. I wonder if the insert has more to do with it than shape.

Ride the hot hand in my book - he has shown he can putt well when he has confidence

I wonder if the insert has more to do with it than shape.

Anything is possible. Personally I think you lose feel going to an insert from a milled putter. Just goes to show even the pros are headcases just like us haha

Even the best players in the world can benefit from more forgiveness

I'm not sure mallet putters are "more forgiving" than smaller head putters. For example, if a player finds it challenging to swing-square-at-impact a large head putter then it may be less forgiving for him/her than one he/she can more easily swing-square-at-impact.

That Juno is the right one :)

Even the best players in the world can benefit from more forgiveness

True, but if you can putt you can putt. If not, tech is only going to help so much.

True, but if you can putt you can putt. If not, tech is only going to help so much.

"Golf is a game of inches. The most important are the six inches between your ears." - Arnold Palmer

I'm not sure mallet putters are "more forgiving" than smaller head putters. For example, if a player finds it challenging to swing-square-at-impact a large head putter then it may be less forgiving for him/her than one he/she can more easily swing-square-at-impact.

Credit @Nate for the Tweet and the putter ponder :angel:

Tiger puts a new putter in the bag and gets himself in to contention at the last two majors.

He then has one bad tournament of putting and immediately makes a change.

This is what we call pulling a Kevin, I've never be more proud!

He has putted so much better with the Ardmore. Why switch? He is showing his true internet golfer.

Back