Playing while exhausted

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
And so recently Ive noticed 2 (or 3) of my very worst rounds have come after I was basically up for 36+ hrs.

Ok so I managed a couple hrs shuteye in that time. In a nut shell its about getting stuck at work for multiple double shifts etc. For me specifically its getting up 430 am , getting home perhaps noonish the next day with possible a couple hrs of half ass shuteye (not real sleep) and heading out for a round.

I feel ok going in and certainly get an upkick as I showerd and head out to play. But on the way home I can barely keep eyes open while driving just the half hr.

And fwiw I also walk when I play. So add that to the mix.

And so im thinking......while I don't feel all that exhausted while playing , I wonder if I actually am even thoug I don't realize it. I mean yea I feel fatigued on the last 3rd of the round and the back begins to sore a bit and over all laziness picks up a notch. But I don't really feel all that much overly exhausted. At least not till I start to drive and my eyes want to close almost right out of the parking lot. that's when Im like ..."wow" wake up, wake up.

So it got me curious. Is it any coincidence that these most worst rounds are on the heels of an exhausting scenario? Do I have that to take some of the blame for the poorer play in these rounds? The reason I question it is because if I don't feel all that bad while playing (at least I don't think so), then how can it be it is to blame? But then I think (on the other hand) its very hard driving home as my eys want to close as I leave the lot and so I must be much more exhausted than i thought after all.

Just to recap the facts.
In my 50's ,
up for 36+ hrs with minimal knapping,
walking the round and up over 40 hrs by the time done.
been playing somewhat better with exception of these rounds and they are the worst by a large number of strokes

Well....what do you think? Coincidence? and id probably be shooting my worst rounds regardless? Or are they tied to the poor scenario of fatigue and exhaustion considering the facts prior?

And what about you? does or would a similar scenario affect your performance? .

Yes, not sleeping for 36+ hours will effect your performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit confused by the up 36 hours straight but took naps. You were not up 36 straight hours then. If that was the standard then non stop solo around the world sailboat guys would be up for 3 months straight as they only sleep 15-30 minutes at a time.

To answer your actual question I don't see a drop in performance until I get around the 20-25 hours without sleep(and naps) As someone who used to play a lot of poker it was common to be up 24+ hours if I make a deep run in one of the last tournaments I would enter for the day. You get used to it but will eventually hit a wall

A bit confused by the up 36 hours straight but took naps.

Ok...so im talking about puttting your head back while in a mid/highback chair with feet up on another chair and kind of snoozing semi unconsciously at best for a couple hrs if lucky enough to not be disturbed. But most anything in this specific work environment disturbs the rest and the mind is not truly at rest so those couple hrs if obtainable is not nearly the same as passing out in my own bed.

Bottom line is.....its a lot of time with little (if any) to no sleep and being active during most of it. I think most anyone can get the picture for the scenario Im painting even if they havnt lived it. .

After 24 hours or so without sleep, I’d say your body is running on fumes. I’m no neuro-scientist, but I’ve read that if you go 48 hours without sleep, your body actually starts to fail/shutdown. Like in heading towards the Big Sleep. So, yeah, I’d hazard a guess it’s affecting your game.

You're in your 50's, I'm in my early 60's - if I don't get at least 6-8 hrs of sleep, it does affect performance. I've played on 4 hours of sleep, early in the morning, and I don't play my best. You walk; I also walk - I suggest electrolytes in your water - NUUN is a good tablet, and then I get a couple of apples and Medool Dates for energy during a round. Parmesan cheese is also good - doesn't need refrigeration.

Parmesan cheese is also good - doesn't need refrigeration.

Do you pull a wedge of parm out of the bag and mow down on it? Maybe shake a big mouthful of shredded out of the can? I thought the big hole in the top of the can was for a spoon?

Do you pull a wedge of parm out of the bag and mow down on it? Maybe shake a big mouthful of shredded out of the can? I thought the big hole in the top of the can was for a spoon?

I get a wedge and cut some thick slices out of it and take it to the course - goes well with a Fuji apple. A trail mix also works.

I'm fairly concerned that you are staying up with little actual sleep for 36 hours, taking a nap, and going to play golf while walking in the summer heat. And you're *driving* a vehicle? My friend, with that little sleep, your judgement is impaired, and really, REALLY unhealthy in the short and long term.

Also, on behalf of the motorcyclists and other motorists around you, please get more rest so that you aren't a loaded weapon when you get behind the wheel of a car.

I'm fairly concerned that you are staying up with little actual sleep for 36 hours, taking a nap, and going to play golf while walking in the summer heat. And you're *driving* a vehicle? My friend, with that little sleep, your judgement is impaired, and really, REALLY unhealthy in the short and long term.

Also, on behalf of the motorcyclists and other motorists around you, please get more rest so that you aren't a loaded weapon when you get behind the wheel of a car.

Im a cyclist too. I get ya. I normally pull over if my eyes are closing on a longer trip. I drive a whole lot of miles vs most people (about 25 thou a year). And often after long hrs at work. Not that Im exempt from falling asleep and I wouldn't argue that im of the best possible condition but just that I have mentally developed a mind over matter way of making myself wake up and also be alert just by default of it happening enough. There are times though that I cant and I will and have pulled over, or just not drove at all. Trust me im more alert exhausted than the thousands of people on their phones and texting. Or even the people who don't ever look in a mirror and have no clue whats around them till only after they decide they want to change a lane. I have no problem with you suggesting this. I understand what your saying completely and your not incorrect. Im a bit guilty especially if its only just for golf.

Ok...so im talking about puttting your head back while in a mid/highback chair with feet up on another chair and kind of snoozing semi unconsciously at best for a couple hrs if lucky enough to not be disturbed. But most anything in this specific work environment disturbs the rest and the mind is not truly at rest so those couple hrs if obtainable is not nearly the same as passing out in my own bed.

Bottom line is.....its a lot of time with little (if any) to no sleep and being active during most of it. I think most anyone can get the picture for the scenario Im painting even if they havnt lived it. .

I get what you are saying but that is sleep. Crappy sleep sure. But yes staying up 24-36 hours doesn't help the golf game. 24 hours isn't that bad but it gets worse real quick from there. I have done it many times.

Back