What Do You Think About This From USGA?

I don't play that many solo rounds to begin with so that part doesn't affect me directly but doesn't change the fact that I think this move is wrong! I am concerned as to where this may be leading, a "global" handicap system that doesn't recognize the differences in how the game is played here in the US vs elsewhere.

I dropped my USGA membership when they came out with the groove ruling. The anchoring ban just confirmed I made the right decision and this change regarding the posting of solo rounds just cements it. The USGA is making themselves less relevant with every bonehead move they make.

I agree. I stopped sending them any $$$$ after the groove rule screw up.

I will not give one iota of thought to abiding by this rule. This proves the USGA is run by a group of utter morons.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

In fairness to them, people have been complaining loudly for years about sandbagging and how broken the handicap system is.

Now they make a change to try to improve things, and people are complain about the change.

That said, while I'm sure their intent was good, I do agree that this rule will have negligible impact and was not worth the backlash.

In fairness to them, people have been complaining loudly for years about sandbagging and how broken the handicap system is.

Now they make a change to try to improve things, and people are complain about the change.

That said, while I'm sure their intent was good, I do agree that this rule will have negligible impact and was not worth the backlash.

If I were in charge I would have the system keep 2 handicaps - a total handicap that includes all posted rounds and a "tournament" handicap that only includes posted USGA sanctioned event rounds like tournaments, club championships, etc. It's then up to the event which one to use but the default would be the lower of the two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I were in charge I would have the system keep 2 handicaps - a total handicap that includes all posted rounds and a "tournament" handicap that only includes posted USGA sanctioned event rounds like tournaments, club championships, etc. It's then up to the event which one to use but the default would be the lower of the two.

This is how we keep the sandbaggers out of our skins games, and men's league. Everyone has a USGA handicap (we use Blue Golf in Indiana) and then we have another program for skins scores only and one for league scores only. This stops the sandbaggers dead in their tracks.

Question about this, how do we go about posting scores with other members? Do you have to get their GHIN numbers before you post the score? I am frustrated about this ruling as I don't play by myself often, but usually play with friends that don't keep an official handicap.

I just joined a local club that comes with NCGA membership because I missed playing in events so I am in for 2016 already.

I asked the pro about this tonight during my lesson. The course I belong to holds many open tournaments for Soldiers and civilians and we pay a few dollars a year for access to the handicap system. I said it may not be worth keeping the official handicap because of this new rule, because I play alone after work a lot during the summer and he flat out told me that they were going to use the Callaway handicap system for most future tournaments, so not having an official handicap wouldn't affect me much for their tournaments.

I will say this. My friends who fudge scores do it while they play with me anyway, so I doubt the people without integrity care either way. Only screwing honest ppl here

My understanding is the USGA will not be enforcing this but rather push it off to the local handicap chair/committee. If you are in a club that provides handicap service even if your partners don't post as long as they attest your card you can post your score without issue.

My understanding is the USGA will not be enforcing this but rather push it off to the local handicap chair/committee. If you are in a club that provides handicap service even if your partners don't post as long as they attest your card you can post your score without issue.

But if your playing partners don't have a membership, what good does attesting do? These rulings have made me look at why I even have a handicap in the first place. Will I ever play in a state tournament? No. Will I ever play in a local tournament? Probably not. I play to get out in the sunshine and get exercise. I just want to be decent enough to have fun at it. I know I shoot in the 90s.

The RCGA is pretty much in lock-step with the USGA.

Does this affect Canadians?

The RCGA is pretty much in lock-step with the USGA.

Does this affect Canadians?
No, the RCGA or whatever Canada's governing body is said they will not be adopting this rule.

No, the RCGA or whatever Canada's governing body is said they will not be adopting this rule.

Good news and thanks for the quick response.

First day of no solo scores counting!!

Something tells me after a year of griping they will change this down the road

This rule is garbage.

Playing alone is my opportunity to turn in true stroke-play scores.

Playing with others, there are conceded putts and pick-ups on lost holes. According to the rules, one posts an estimated score preceded by an "x".

The third situation is organized event play, but that doesn't represent very much of my golf.

Consequently, from my perspective, the new rule could easily result in less accurate indexes.

Josh, honest question here. Where does THP stand with the new USGA rule of having to have someone attest to all posted rounds - in terms of providing a handicap for THP events?

I have no idea if I could give a valid handicap under the new rules. I ended 2015 at 13.1. But if I followed the new rules I would quite literally never be able to post a round. I play by myself almost every time (unless you count my kids) and unless more members of my club start playing in the evenings that won't change.

So I would have a 13.1, which would be at least 9 months old by the time a summer event came around. It's likely my game will be different by then - hopefully better but who knows. Either way the odds are that it would not be an accurate representation.

What Do You Think About This From USGA?

Something tells me after a year of griping they will change this down the road

Let's hope so, was watching GC a couple weeks ago and they were talking about rules changes and this was one of them. Summation is this is a stupid rule and how are you gonna enforce it, what if playing partner doesn't keep a handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing alone is my opportunity to turn in true stroke-play scores.

Playing with others, there are conceded putts and pick-ups on lost holes. According to the rules, one posts an estimated score preceded by an "x".

The third situation is organized event play, but that doesn't represent very much of my golf.

Consequently, from my perspective, the new rule could easily result in less accurate indexes.
All you need is 13/18 holes (I think) for valid score and picking up a 1 footer you give yourself the expected score of obv making it. That said I can see how this hampers the majority of people as far as getting enough rounds in. Just look on the bright side and use those rounds to work on things, play 2 balls, spend 5 min extra working on the short game each hole.

Josh, honest question here. Where does THP stand with the new USGA rule of having to have someone attest to all posted rounds - in terms of providing a handicap for THP events?

I have no idea if I could give a valid handicap under the new rules. I ended 2015 at 13.1. But if I followed the new rules I would quite literally never be able to post a round. I play by myself almost every time (unless you count my kids) and unless more members of my club start playing in the evenings that won't change.

So I would have a 13.1, which would be at least 9 months old by the time a summer event came around. It's likely my game will be different by then - hopefully better but who knows. Either way the odds are that it would not be an accurate representation.

There is a pretty obvious honour rule in place for most events that involve a handicap. Why this would impact anything is a bit beyond me, as it's not like THP has control over someone posting an honest score with a foursome than they would have control over someone posting an alone round.

At the end of the day, people who are going to cheat are going to cheat.... and they'll ruin it for others. I like to think that this community is beyond a lot of that nonsense.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I really don't see why THP needs a stance on something like this. The rules are the rules. All THP asks (from what I've seen) is that people be honest with their game and their scores. For everyone else, it becomes pretty blatantly obvious between gatherings, meetups, and events who is fudging scores.

Speaking of which, I'm a 12 handicap.

There is a pretty obvious honour rule in place for most events that involve a handicap. Why this would impact anything is a bit beyond me, as it's not like THP has control over someone posting an honest score with a foursome than they would have control over someone posting an alone round.

At the end of the day, people who are going to cheat are going to cheat.... and they'll ruin it for others. I like to think that this community is beyond a lot of that nonsense.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I really don't see why THP needs a stance on something like this. The rules are the rules. All THP asks (from what I've seen) is that people be honest with their game and their scores. For everyone else, it becomes pretty blatantly obvious between gatherings, meetups, and events who is fudging scores.

Speaking of which, I'm a 12 handicap.

A 12 huh. Sounds like an opportunity for a THP callout in the future.... wait a minute!! I think you forgot a decimal there. Not getting enough sleep lately? :alien:

There is no requirement for rounds to be attested to. That idea came from guys speaking out of a general bias against all things USGA. All that is required is that you play in the company of at least one other person.

A 12 huh. Sounds like an opportunity for a THP callout in the future.... wait a minute!! I think you forgot a decimal there. Not getting enough sleep lately? :alien:

Anyone is welcome to Call me out if I'm playing as a 12! I have a feeling the system will catch me long before that though, haha!

Its a fair point. The complaining is a dominant thing. But the action taken will not only be of no answer for the problem but only (as ben the case thus far) just piss people off. Hopefully one of authority to do so isn't too egotistical to admit this is a mistake.

On another note, I hate (not just in golf) when the majority is to be subject to rules and regulations that prevent a better experience for all because a few are bad apples. I'll say what I've said several times for just about any subject where bad apples ruin anything for the majority. By some magical force in nature they should all walk around with Blue faces so we all know who they are.

Back