Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

Legitimately my favorite wedges ever I think, which is crazy for me. But dammit, going w grind on the 54 and 60 was the best move I could have made for my game.

Seriously, why W grind. Aren't conditions firm for you? I'm confused as to what to get

Seriously, why W grind. Aren't conditions firm for you? I'm confused as to what to get
Because bounce is my friend, and RFC said to go W grind.

He went on and on about its versatility on Cali too, really just reaffirmed what I had in my mind going in. I can still open up the 60 just fine on tight lies.

Because bounce is my friend, and RFC said to go W grind.

I've started using the bounce more, it just hit me one day and my chipping has improved. May have to look at the W grind

I've started using the bounce more, it just hit me one day and my chipping has improved. May have to look at the W grind
Same here. I always went low bounce, this has been a revelation for me personally though.

I'm thinking I need to try the MD3. Have had the MD2 56 and 60 in the bag for a few weeks now and freaking love them.

The 56 MD2 is absolutely versatile for me, ranging from 110-115 down to green side usage.

It's a really really good wedge. If I didn't have a backup set of the tour preferred ones, I'd be going 50-54-58.

You'd probably like the C and S. Your sand game is solid, I don't think you'd need extra help much?

It's a really really good wedge. If I didn't have a backup set of the tour preferred ones, I'd be going 50-54-58.

You'd probably like the C and S. Your sand game is solid, I don't think you'd need extra help much?

Good call buddy! I hope to have by Tampa testing

I'd love to grab a set of these on the cheap. Can't force myself to pay $90+ per wedge used but I still want these bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I need help. S grind or C grind. What are peoples thoughts?

I had the S and W in the sand wedge spot. Much prefer the S grind in that slot as it's also a full swing club for me and the S, for me, works better for that. I have no problem opening up the 56-S if I need to either. I'm going to go W grind on the 60 as that is more of a true lob wedge for me and the added bounce from where I plan on using it should do the trick. But I will say the S grind has been REAL versatile in the 56.

OK, I need help. S grind or C grind. What are peoples thoughts?

I like s grind for my full swings wedges. Versatile enough for chips, pitches and full swings in all the condition up here. W grind in my SW...the added bounce has been great in the bunker and around the green

Had a few chips and 2 full swing shots out on the course yesterday with my new 54° S grind MD3. It performed well on chips. Had one bad chip, and one great chip (chip in) with it. Most chips were right about average for me.

I came up short on both full swing shots. That was a pattern all day yesterday though with all clubs. Very wet ground, very humid air, wind, and a lengthy layoff from golf all combined for some weak swings.

Like what I see so far. Need to get some more rounds in so I'll know the full swing yardage.

I'd love to grab a set of these on the cheap. Can't force myself to pay $90+ per wedge used but I still want these bad

Its been said 100 times already I know, but they're a REALLY good improvement from the MD2's.

Its been said 100 times already I know, but they're a REALLY good improvement from the MD2's.

And I still like my md2's. I've messed around with XMans md3 and loved it. I'm just allergic to retail lol. I need to find a way to make them happen before RTJ Kentwool

I am really thinking about adding these to the bag, but I keep waffling over the grinds. I am looking to add a 54 & 58, am very steep and play in a lot of very firm conditions (thanks to the drought).

My thought is to go 54W because I use my 54 in a lot of situations. I will take full swings with it, hit low knock downs and play it out of the bunker frequently.

I'm also thinking 58C because that is more of a specialty club that I will use for the delicate touch shots around the green. I rarely full swing the 58 and will sometimes play it out of the bunker.

Does that sound like I've got the right idea?

I am really thinking about adding these to the bag, but I keep waffling over the grinds. I am looking to add a 54 & 58, am very steep and play in a lot of very firm conditions (thanks to the drought).

My thought is to go 54W because I use my 54 in a lot of situations. I will take full swings with it, hit low knock downs and play it out of the bunker frequently.

I'm also thinking 58C because that is more of a specialty club that I will use for the delicate touch shots around the green. I rarely full swing the 58 and will sometimes play it out of the bunker.

Pretty spot on, but the 58W IMO is pretty versatile and makes greenside bunker play easy.

The 54S is what I have and I play in firm conditions for the most part. I've not had any issues executing any type of shot with my 54S.

The w grind would be the way to go for steep players. Bounce is your friend.

I have scratched my itch for these thanks to Mike G... can't wait to get them in play asap! I've been wanting them since the first post, and every time I looked at my MD2's I wished they said 3 and were black, not chrome.

Last edited:
Question for the Grandaddy'ers who were for for these.

Did any of you who were fit in a + length iron, go + plus in these wedges as well?

Did any of you who were fit in a + length iron, go + plus in these wedges as well?
I went just like my irons, +1/2 and 2* up

I was fit as standard, but would have matched them to my irons if I wasn't. My irons were bent 2 upright, and so were my MD3's.

I found this doing a search.

CUFd7wGWUAEwXGK.jpg

So after seeing all the great reviews from the guys that went to the Grandaddy, I decided to get the 54* s grind. I fell in love from the first shot. Felt great and solid off the face. Trajectory was perfect and how I went thru the dirt felt a bit different in a good way. Distance was spot on too. I feel like I was hitting yardages on a more consistent basis.

Now one I was happy and content with my PM grind. I've loved that thing so I hesitated a bit on the 58*. Previously I had a 60* PM grind bent to a 58 and lost some bounce. With as wet as its been its been a pain. So after seeing so many guys go with the MD3 over the PM, I went for it and boy am I happy. Never would've though something would feel just as easy to hit. I hit some chip shots very timidly and felt uncomfortable because I was so used to seeing the larger PM grind face. But much to my surprise the results were great. Turd interaction was on point and having that bit of extra bounce felt like I wasn't digging into the ground on every chip. First chip in a game was playing super ball (captains choice) where we all missed the green. I was last to go and the closest chip was still 6 feet away. I stepped up nervous but put a good move on it and put it 2 inches from the hole for par!

couldnt be happier with my purchase

So after seeing all the great reviews from the guys that went to the Grandaddy, I decided to get the 54* s grind. I fell in love from the first shot. Felt great and solid off the face. Trajectory was perfect and how I went thru the dirt felt a bit different in a good way. Distance was spot on too. I feel like I was hitting yardages on a more consistent basis.

Now one I was happy and content with my PM grind. I've loved that thing so I hesitated a bit on the 58*. Previously I had a 60* PM grind bent to a 58 and lost some bounce. With as wet as its been its been a pain. So after seeing so many guys go with the MD3 over the PM, I went for it and boy am I happy. Never would've though something would feel just as easy to hit. I hit some chip shots very timidly and felt uncomfortable because I was so used to seeing the larger PM grind face. But much to my surprise the results were great. Turd interaction was on point and having that bit of extra bounce felt like I wasn't digging into the ground on every chip. First chip in a game was playing super ball (captains choice) where we all missed the green. I was last to go and the closest chip was still 6 feet away. I stepped up nervous but put a good move on it and put it 2 inches from the hole for par!

couldnt be happier with my purchase

Glad you love it! We weren't lying these wedges are 100% legit and the best I've ever used

Glad you love it! We weren't lying these wedges are 100% legit and the best I've ever used
I did this with my 54 yesterday.

ae99647db3fd8c15bb0320f030d0ec96.jpg

13 feet that came back. It's a first for me.

I did this with my 54 yesterday.

ae99647db3fd8c15bb0320f030d0ec96.jpg

13 feet that came back. It's a first for me.

Dayummmmmm son haha something about fresh MD3 grooves that are just so deadly

Back