Ping G400 Max shaft question

jhd12

Reaction score
Handicap
Love the G400 Max it is the best performing driver I have ever owned. But the Alta CG 55 regular flex shaft tip seems a little too flexible/whippy for me when I go after it. I can "manage" the shaft by holding back a bit (probably not a bad thing!) but when I put a full swing on it that whippiness in the tip returns. I feel like I must use a restricted swing or lose control/accuracy.

Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Driver swing speed about 90-92 and when I'm loose or go after it 94-96, smooth deliberate swing, hit 7 iron about 145-150, 66 years old in ok shape.

Would additional weight in head help? My head has standard 7 gram weight. A stiffer shaft? Open to all suggestions. I'd like to know that I can walk up to the tee box and just use my normal swing.

Thank you very much!

Most of my shafts are regular flex, but I did go stiff in the Alta CB, which seems to fit me perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

More weight in the head will make it whippier.

You could tip the shaft by 1/4 inch. That will stiffen it up - but it may be that the Alta shaft does not fit you - I'd find another shaft. The Alta shaft may not be that consistenty between shafts - My instructor gave me 2 Alta Shafts to try on Trackman - same flex, weight, etc. One shaft consistently gave me 3 more mph in ballspeed than the other ...

I started with the reg flex shaft and went to the stiff flex shaft and haven't had the issues since switching.

Try the Alta in Stiff or the Tour 65 in Reg.

More weight in the head will make it whippier.

You could tip the shaft by 1/4 inch. That will stiffen it up - but it may be that the Alta shaft does not fit you - I'd find another shaft. The Alta shaft may not be that consistenty between shafts - My instructor gave me 2 Alta Shafts to try on Trackman - same flex, weight, etc. One shaft consistently gave me 3 more mph in ballspeed than the other ...

Would a 1/4” even do anything ?

I’ve tipped driver shafts 1/2” and didn’t notice anything in terms of flight and stiffness.

Love the G400 Max it is the best performing driver I have ever owned. But the Alta CG 55 regular flex shaft tip seems a little too flexible/whippy for me when I go after it. I can "manage" the shaft by holding back a bit (probably not a bad thing!) but when I put a full swing on it that whippiness in the tip returns. I feel like I must use a restricted swing or lose control/accuracy.

Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Driver swing speed about 90-92 and when I'm loose or go after it 94-96, smooth deliberate swing, hit 7 iron about 145-150, 66 years old in ok shape.

Would additional weight in head help? My head has standard 7 gram weight. A stiffer shaft? Open to all suggestions. I'd like to know that I can walk up to the tee box and just use my normal swing.

Thank you very much!
I had the Alta CB 55 and thought the same thing so I switched to the ALDILA® XTORSION® Copper and it has solved the problem for me.

Would a 1/4” even do anything ?

I’ve tipped driver shafts 1/2” and didn’t notice anything in terms of flight and stiffness.

For me, it depends on the shaft - I don't want to overtip because, after that, it's only use is as a fairway shaft. I can always tip more if I only go a little. But I think OP ought to think about another shaft unlesss his tempo is quick, and that is causing the problem - in that case, a stiff flex may be the ticket. Or that stock shaft may not have the characteristics he needs.

For example, I tipped a Slay 55 1/4 inch and it was still whippy. Tipped it another 1/4 inch and it worked well in an Epic.

I would try the stiff cb or stiff tour 65. For me I think the max works better with a stiffer shaft. I get better average distance and way more control.

Just re-read the first post - if you're 94-96 on Trackman or another pro monitor, then yes, consider going up in flex or weight, or both - in other words, find somewhere you can get fit.

I haven’t bought one yet, but most of my stuff is regular flex now.

I got fit on the Ping G400 Max 10.5 with Ping Tour 65 reg flex by the Ping Tour van. He said that shaft plays stiffer than the Alta and it’s really nice. I hit it much better than the Alta shaft, same R flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back