Phil's swing trigger

Galen Marek

Reaction score
Handicap
I've noticed that Phil started lifting his clubhead right before the start of his swing which hinges his wrist a touch. I've always like that feeling as it helps me keep the clubhead outside my hands on the takeaway where my normal swing the clubhead does go slightly behind. I've cocked my wrists upwards on practice swings and love the feeling but never considered using it as a swing trigger. I'm curious about any feedback you may have. Additionally I was surprised to see how high Phil raises the clubhead above the ball.

If I had to guess Phil started doing it to make his backswing more upright to get the backswing and downswing planes more inline.

Constant motion is a part of most top level players. A forward press, elevating the club head, knee movement or tapping the club head. This reduces tension and allows for a more fluid swing. Swinging from a static position is the way of the average golfer.

He and his pro work a lot of his lower body action. The elevating of the club allows him to transfer his weight better. He used to get stuck on his back foot in pressure situation.

If he is elevating the club above the ball every time it’s to insure a full extension at impact. I have not seen enough of his swings to say this fore sure.

Phil's swing trigger

Interesting to see how much shoulder tilt he has. It looks like he is trying to hit his driver into the stratosphere. Think I need to give this a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Constant motion is a part of most top level players. A forward press, elevating the club head, knee movement or tapping the club head. This reduces tension and allows for a more fluid swing. Swinging from a static position is the way of the average golfer.

He and his pro work a lot of his lower body action. The elevating of the club allows him to transfer his weight better. He used to get stuck on his back foot in pressure situation.

If he is elevating the club above the ball every time it’s to insure a full extension at impact. I have not seen enough of his swings to say this fore sure.

Thanks for that. I was very curious if you thought that was an acceptable swing trigger. That's very interesting as I struggle with transferring my weight as well and I've always liked that as a swing trigger but never saw anyone else do it. Now that Phil is I feel like I should revisit it.

Back