15 Yds to Pin: Your Plan?

Buster1

Reaction score
Handicap
9 GHIN
I’ve recently found myself at 15 yards to the pin on quite a few shots. Usually with enough rough you can’t putt (5-10 yds).

I’ve started grooving a 60 deg wedge Short chip, choked down on the grip and it seems consistent.

What’s your go-to shot/gameplan when you’re greenside, 15 yards out, with no putting option?

I’ve recently found myself at 15 yards to the pin on quite a few shots. Usually with enough rough you can’t putt (5-10 yds).

I’ve started grooving a 60 deg wedge Short chip, choked down on the grip and it seems consistent.

What’s your go-to shot/gameplan when you’re greenside, 15 yards out, with no putting option?

No putting option, impossible for @mikedean441 He would find a way!!!

I like the 60 option, gives you some options on height and lets the bounce help out a bit more.

Assuming no putt and everything else is normal that's a 58* shot for me every time.

I usually tend to chip this shot low and run it with a 52* if the conditions and situation allow.

Really depends on how thick the rough and how much green to work with.

More rough less green 60* wedge a little open hit it higher hope for a quick stop

Low rough tons of green 54/50 keep it a bit lower bot expecting check but roll it out in there

Edit: I saw 15 yds to pin, how much trouble is behind the pin is my reference to green to work with

I've been using a 54 lately for that shot with good success.

all scenario dependent. Lie, slope, how much green, etc. Normally my 60 LW or my 54 sw (or is that 56? not sure..lol)

5 yards of Rough and 10 yards of green probably my.54* kinda low.

10 yards of rough and 5 yards of green my.58 for sure

Ususally a 54 or 58 degree wedge set up off the back foot. Club depends on how much green there is to work with.

It just depends how much green there is to work with. If we have a lot of green I'm probably going with my 52* and playing a normal shot, landing it short and letting it roll toward the pin. If I'm short sided I'm going for one of my favorite shots ever, the flop with my 56*.

59* LW, without hesitation.

My go-to shot in that scenario is a 54 degree but with a putting stroke.

Stand real close to the ball, get the heel of the club off the ground, ball off my back foot and just just groove and nice putting motion. Easy to aim and usually even mishits won’t be far off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me distance to the pin is just one variable, of many, on shots like this. I've learned that I'm better off being flexible with my shot/club choices and in most cases I am focused on holing shots that close. Rarely do it, but trying to gets me closer most of the time.

I'm probably grabbing my 54 and 58 and probably going to hit something high with the 58. If it's a nicely fluffed up lie, I'm going for the flop..and sometimes even if it's not that fluffy.

That's a choke up open face 60. Higher takeaway and just let the weight of the club head bring it down to the ball.

I'll probably just concede the hole the way my short game has been this year....

Lie will dictate my choice.

Totally clean? I'll bump and run with a 9-iron or 46° wedge. The degree of the ball settling within the rough will determine in descending order down to LW, what I'd next opt for.

Depending on how much green I have to work with anything between 54 and 8 iron. I try to hit as low an iron as I can to get the ball rolling as soon as I can.

Sand wedge, probably. Face open as needed.

Surprised there isn’t more responses with a lower lofted club trying to hit the green as soon as possible and roll out.

I thought this chip shot was the go to, safest shot for everyone. My 9 iron is always in my hand when I walk to these shots.

Not a lot of green and in the rough I will is my 56SW with 14 bounce.

Never use my 60LW from the rough as it only has a 04 bounce. That’s just asking for a mishit. Unless, it’s buried and a flop is in order.

Surprised there isn’t more responses with a lower lofted club trying to hit the green as soon as possible and roll out.

I thought this chip shot was the go to, safest shot for everyone. My 9 iron is always in my hand when I walk to these shots.

Not a lot of green and in the rough I will is my 56SW with 14 bounce.

Never use my 60LW from the rough as it only has a 04 bounce. That’s just asking for a mishit. Unless, it’s buried and a flop is in order.

Its shocking this isnt taught more. It's simple, repeatable and you sink nearly one a round once you have it down.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I found I was always short sided so I use a 60 LW. It takes a lot of practice but over the years I do pretty good with it. I played with a younger friend last week and every chip he did with a lower lofted club ran off the green.

I pick it up.... That's a birdie for me.

I just got back from a practice session and was practicing this exact shot. I used a 52* wedge for a bump and run, a 56 to get it up then release and last a 60* going right at the pin. I would like to be proficient at all these shots and let the situation dictate which one to use.

Back