Club Championship blunder

dustin8538

Reaction score
Handicap
Ughhhh
So I played in my club championship this weekend and here is my recap.

I have been really putting in some effort in preparing for this years cc in hopes to compete and beat the reigning back to back champion. My current ghin hcdp is 1.2. So I was competing in the championship flight. We started on hole 10 each day

My home course is a par 70 and plays around 6800 yards from the blues. Greens were rolling about a 10 for the weekend and the course was in perfect condition. Weather was wonderful until round 2

Day 1 highlights
-

First hole which is a par 5 and I stripe it down the middle and have around 215 in to a back pin. Hit a terrible approach and pull it into a greenside bunker. Chunk it just barely out of the bunker onto the green and have around a 50 foot putt. Blow it by off the other side of the green and make bogey.

Next hole hit the fairway and hit approach to about 3 feet and make birdie. Thinking I had momentum going i proceed to hit my tee shot into the woods and make bogey. Then I proceed to double hole 16 after hitting the green in reg. Pin was a front pin and I hit it long and 4 putted which included hitting one putt off the green. Then somehow make a 30 footer for birdie on 17 and then birdie on 18. So I go on to make 3 more pars after the turn then birdie holes 4 and 5.

Then it falls apart. I make bogeys on 6,7 and 8 due to poor tee shots. Par 9 to shoot a 3 over 73

So after Day 1 I am 4 shots off the lead. My playing partner and the reigning club champ both shoot 69 for the day. I am tied for fifth place

Day 2 highlights -

Start off with a huge pull off the tee to the adjacent fairway. I have a clear shot into the par 5 and hit a huge block right and we think I am ob. So I hit a provisional. I make my way to my fairway and find my first shot around 60 yards out in the fairway from the green. Looks like it hit a tree and came back in. I somehow scrape out a birdie.

Then make bogey next 2 holes due to poor chips and poor putts. I go on to make a 4 more pars then bogey on 17 and a birdie on 18

I make 8 straight pars after the turn then a birdie on 9 after nearly driving the green. So I end the day even par with a 70.

So I was 3 over for the 2 days and shot a 143

The reigning champ shoots 73 on the day to shoot 2 over for the tourney with a 142 and I finish solo second place. Also he carded a hole in one in the process which stings a little as well :)

I am just kicking myself for making the mistakes I made and not holding it together. All I had to do was minimize some of the small mistakes and maybe eliminate 1 or 2 of the bogeys and I had a chance to win or go into a playoff.

Overall I am pleased with my performance but is sure does sting to know that I was that close but couldn't hold it together. My nerves got to me and I guess was to wrapped up with my score and was not focusing on the shot I had next.

Anyways that was cc this year

nice recap. sounds like you are really close and know what you need to work on. keep grinding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You played great and sure did prove to yourself that you have the game to take the crown.

I def realized I need to work more on course management and my mental game. I found myself getting way to stressed out at times.

Do you get a parking spot if you would’ve won? That’s always the best prize for any CC.

Nice work, keep it going!! Sound side ticks to me, except 10 strokes worse....each day...

:)

A lot of people would have packed it in early on. You weathered a few storms along the way and being 1 off the pace with a hole in one thrown at you lets you know that some magic had to be done to beat you.

Do you get a parking spot if you would’ve won? That’s always the best prize for any CC.

No parking spot..... but free carts for 3 months, trophy, name on a plaque and some $$$

Sometimes this game is more mental than physical. Great job and you gave him a run for his money. You know where your faults are and recognize they need work. That's a step to the top of the podium next year. Good luck.

Great effort !

When looking back on ‘nearly’ occasions, I always consider that the people or teams that beat me probably had a couple of 3 stabs, left one in a trap, went OOB or whatever.
The truth is unless it’s a unicorn round, everyone leaves something out there.

Still a great job by you. Well done.

Thanks for the recap. At least you can drink on him for the hole in one!

If you played that well with your nerves acting up, well done. Should be a good experience for next year too.

Well played! Enjoyed the recap. Sounds like you recognized a few weaknesses and can build on those to take the crown next year.

It's easy to play the "if I just hadn't hit that bad shot on 14" game. However, we have to remember that bad shots could happen anywhere. If the good shot you hit on 12 had been a shank, you would have lost by a lot more.

In other words, don't fret over a bad swing. Instead, analyze the bad decisions you made and commit to improving on those next year, perhaps even more so than technical skills you want to improve.

I hope to make a similar post to this next year, except in the Net Division, and maybe a couple years now, in the Gross division, for my club.

Sounds like your hard work has been paying off and you really came oh so close. Look at it this way, it took an Ace to beat you.

You had a great weekend, solid golf, it wasn't yours to win, you'll get them next year.

Sounds pretty solid to me ... No matter how good you play you always leave stuff out there.

1 thing though, sounds like you put too much pressure on yourself pre-game.

Forget the score, forget the tourney, play your best, you can't control his score. (Proved by the hole in 1)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Last 10 holes in -2! That is something to build on. We all leave some shots out there, I'm sure the champ did too - just one less.

Where is your Club Championship? What club do you belong to?

Back