what bounce on your highest lofted wedges

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
When it comes to your highest lofted (say 52 or 54 to 60) degree wedges...basically sand and lob, what is the bounce?
Do you have one higher and one lower bounce just so you can use one vs the other for the scenario? Is it even something you bother to even know? I assume many armatures don't even really know nor understand it and probably have whatever their set comes with (if they are set wedges). Also id assume many just are not certain what they need and so they play wedges with mid bounce just for sake of happy medium.

for me, my new ping g400 set of irons (not yet received them) I ordered 5 through SW. I know that the SW is 13* (and I think the UL is 12 , have to look that up again to be sure). And so the only reason I didn't order the set LW was because that too is 13*. And being they are all higher bounce wedges I want a 58 LW with a 10. Im actually considering a Cleveland cbx 58 which is at 10*. This way I can play the two bounces depending on my sand conditions greenside which can change drastically from deep and soft to very firm. And also similar can be the case for dry or wet chipping scenarios.

Is it the exact right thing to do? Im not totally sure but makes sense to me to "not" have all high bounce wedges. This way ill have at least some versatility for conditions. My vokey wedge (60*) is at 10 now. But im looking at the CBX 58 to now replace that 60 (imo a tad easier to play regularly than a 60) for shots that are more than just a chip or short pitch. High loft/low bounce not exactly the easiest clubs for many us amateurs to hit. So I think 58/10 will prove better for me than my current 60. Who kjnows we'll see. but Ill now have a sw at 13 and a 58Lw at 10. Hopefully works ok.

What about your wedge bounce? whats you logic if any and/or what do you play (perhaps you change them round to round based on courses and conditions?) whatever the case let us know what you do. You can also comment if you like on my scenario. Always good to get opinions.

I can't remember what the number is, but all 3 of my RTX 2.0 wedges (48/52/59) are the same 2-dot bounce option in my bag

I am considering different bounce options when I replace them but haven't decided which way to go yet

12* in my 54 X Grind and 11* in my 58* W Grind. I use the 54 everywhere because the grind allows it to be very versatile and I use the 58 in the sand around the greens and full shots from about 80-85 yards.

Whatever works for you works. I'm not interesting in getting caught up in seeking validation from others.

I think 10* to 14* of bounce for wedges offers good forgiveness.
I think Vokey has caused a lot of high scores because he repeatedly advises people to choose bounce based on the type of ground conditions one plays. Specifically, low bounce for hard ground and, or, firm bunkers. But the low bounce wedges offer little to no forgiveness.
The popular GI and SGI iron sets most always have relatively high bounce, and this helps make the sets more playable and forgiving, even from hard ground conditions. I think the same is true for wedges.

10* is my highest. Haven't had any issues or situations where I needed more yet.

I used to play higher bounce wedges but now I have an 8 bounce on my 60 deg and 10 bounce on my 56 deg. Don't know if it's that or the proper grind but my wedge game has gotten alot better. Although after playing a fairly soft and wet course on Thursday they didn't work so well....

highest lofted specialty wedge has 11* of bounce, 60* of loft. sand wedge has 12* of bounce, and weak gap wedge has 8* of bounce.

6* in my 58* wedge, lowest I’ve ever played there but it’s perfect for the way I use that club.

56* with 14* of bounce. I LOVE this club. Works everywhere but the hardest of lies. In which case I have a 60* with 4* of bounce.

I just got a New Level 60* wedge that has a 14* bounce. I've never played a club with that much bounce before but Eric assured me that even though the bounce is high I would be able to open it up and without any issue because of the "M" grind sole. My first outing with these confirmed what Eric said.

I just got a New Level 60* wedge that has a 14* bounce. I've never played a club with that much bounce before but Eric assured me that even though the bounce is high I would be able to open it up and without any issue because of the "M" grind sole. My first outing with these confirmed what Eric said.
I would think firm sand could be problematic and is one the reasons while my new SW will be 13, I will still have a 58 with a 10. Yes the loft is higher but still imo better option for the greenside bunker that is thin and/or hardpack sand like after rain etc.. To be fair my miss in sand is more thin than fat so helps me there too somewhat. Though I must say I did get out of green bunkers pretty well last couple rounds with both higher and lower bounce wedges. Now if I could just stop landing in them...well...another topic..lol

56* with 14* of bounce. I LOVE this club. Works everywhere but the hardest of lies. In which case I have a 60* with 4* of bounce.

60/4.....you can cut paper with that and maybe even trim the beard..lol

58 has 9 degrees

54 has 11.

Never really worried about either one on tight lies, but definitely do prefer the help on the super soft ones.

12°. I like big soles and I cannot lie.

58 has 9 degrees

54 has 11.

Never really worried about either one on tight lies, but definitely do prefer the help on the super soft ones.

12°. I like big soles and I cannot lie.

love that junk in the trunk

i see you have the md4 w grind in your signature. that's probably my all-time favorite sole/bounce design i've ever played. i like the s grind better on full swings, but the w grind was like cheating around the greens.

my 60 has 14° of bounce, but it doesn't play like it.

I don't think it matters - what matters is whether the club does what you want it to do without getting stuck in the ground or blading a delicate shot around the greens, and doesn't limit your creativity.

My Edel has 59 had 18 degrees of bounce but it was all in the middle and at the front - leading edge was low to the ground - had heel, toe and trailing edge relief. It's great on tight lies.

It's all how it plays for you.

60/4.....you can cut paper with that and maybe even trim the beard..lol

It's an old (20 or 25 years I think) Tom Watson RAM lob wedge I picked up at Wal-Mart for 16.99. It's MONEY inside of 40 yards as long as I don't skull the shot. I won a $100 bet the other day from by buddy. 40 yards from the green with a 40' tree between me and the pin, but a bunker in front as well. He said, "You're dead here". I'm like, "Nah, I'll bet you a hundred I can go over the tree and bunker, and get it with 15' of the pin." I shoulda taken side bets with the other two guys, but I'm not that confident in pulling that shot off. Not for $400 if I miss it.

I always like to screw around at the range practicing trick shots. Hell, if I put as much effort into practicing normal shots I'd be single digits.

I'm really not sure to be honest, I know it's a 2 dot (56* RTX3).

60* has 14* of bounce.

I am in a similar situation to you, and my thinking is the same. In Central Texas, there are a lot of tight lies around the greens (and in the fairways) and I play mostly munis, which very rarely have enough fluffy sand for an explosion shot. My irons are Ping G, and I also bought the sand wedge. I'm kind of regretting it now, though.

My highest lofted wedge is a 58 degree Vokey with 8 degrees of bounce (M grind, I think). I use it for most everything inside 40-50 yards, unless I want a low, running chip. Since I have gotten so comfortable with this club, and since I can't hit full wedge shots, I have thought about picking up a similar club in 54 degrees. As it is now, I rarely use the Ping SW, since I have very little control over how far it goes and a large propensity to chunk it into the turf.

It's always tempting to buy more clubs, but I have just about convinced myself to keep the 54 with all the bounce in the bag for the few times I end up in real bunker sand, and to just work on learning how to hit it consistently from decent lies.

love that junk in the trunk

i see you have the md4 w grind in your signature. that's probably my all-time favorite sole/bounce design i've ever played. i like the s grind better on full swings, but the w grind was like cheating around the greens.
I use then for all swings. On the descending strike of a full swing, the big ole sole doesn't get in the way. Around the greens, you're right, darn near cheating.

I am in a similar situation to you, and my thinking is the same. In Central Texas, there are a lot of tight lies around the greens (and in the fairways) and I play mostly munis, which very rarely have enough fluffy sand for an explosion shot. My irons are Ping G, and I also bought the sand wedge. I'm kind of regretting it now, though.

My highest lofted wedge is a 58 degree Vokey with 8 degrees of bounce (M grind, I think). I use it for most everything inside 40-50 yards, unless I want a low, running chip. Since I have gotten so comfortable with this club, and since I can't hit full wedge shots, I have thought about picking up a similar club in 54 degrees. As it is now, I rarely use the Ping SW, since I have very little control over how far it goes and a large propensity to chunk it into the turf.

It's always tempting to buy more clubs, but I have just about convinced myself to keep the 54 with all the bounce in the bag for the few times I end up in real bunker sand, and to just work on learning how to hit it consistently from decent lies.

something here a bit contradicting. You don't use the sw much cause you chunk it in too often. But yet you use the 58 with 8bounce. That should offer you more chunk troubles than the sw which is probably 12 or 13 bounce. If anything its the 58/8 you should be chunking more (I would think).

12 degrees bounce on my highest lofted wedge.

Back