Nike Signs Kaepernick: Good/Bad Business Decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will leave my opinions out of the political side of this message. I will add, if this add causes Nike's stock price to drop and the price of a pair of Flyknit Trainers to come down, I am in favor.

It is a bad choice IMO. There are much better (read likeable) athletes that could be the face of Nike. He has lawsuits pending with the NFL, the guy is a follower not a leader. It won't effect whether I buy anymore Nike gear, but for a lot of people it will I believe. I know people who stopped watching the NFL when they let Vick back after his dog fighting controversy.

Not an american, so not going to comment on the flag/patriotism thing.

However, good or bad, depending on your narrative, Kap and Nike caused the initial topic to come into the forefront again.

Did it? I read this ad as Kap 'sacrificing everything' (which is a lie) making the ad almost wholly about himself.

My personal thoughts are that I don't care. My thoughts on this as a business decision are that I would not have made this decision. I believe there is a large portion of the population who is very sensitive to this national anthem controversy with the NFL. They are middle class, white, conservative, and they voted for Trump. They aren't going to like this one bit and they are likely boycotters of Nike. I also believe there will be some extra business coming Nike's way, but I don't know how whether how much of this will be buying new-Kaepernick related Nike attire verses other Nike attire or verses Adidas/Under Armour attire. My gut says this costs Nike about 2%-3% and possibly as much as 5% in sales over the next year or two and it's harder to look further out than that.

Also the NFL has been trying to move past this as fast as possible and I'm sure that they really appreciate one of their biggest partners dropping this campaign on the Monday before they kickoff their 2018 season.

I think the argument could be made that Kaepernick sacrificed his NFL career for his protest. Like him or not, there are quite a few back up QB's and a couple starting QB's out there that are worse than Kaepernick, yet they still have jobs in the NFL at the moment. Whether or not Nike will face backlash financially for this campaign is yet to be seen, but for Kaepernick I'd say this is a huge positive (and not just financially) as it gets/keeps people talking about what he's protesting.

I think the argument could be made that Kaepernick sacrificed his NFL career for his protest. Like him or not, there are quite a few back up QB's and a couple starting QB's out there that are worse than Kaepernick, yet they still have jobs in the NFL at the moment. Whether or not Nike will face backlash financially for this campaign is yet to be seen, but for Kaepernick I'd say this is a huge positive (and not just financially) as it gets/keeps people talking about what he's protesting.

I'm sure the CFL would sign him if football is life.

Someone posted here in the past or maybe I saw it in a feed on social media but what I read was that he didn’t start down this social justice warrior type path and being an activist until he met his current/recent gf. Apparently she was an activist and her circle of friends are as well. He seems to be the guy that goes with he flow of the crowd he is around.

the girlfriend is the one i've heard about as well. and if i'm not mistaken, she takes things to a pretty hateful and disgusting extreme. but i'm just going on what i've heard, as i haven't actively sought out any of her content.

Did it? I read this ad as Kap 'sacrificing everything' (which is a lie) making the ad almost wholly about himself.

I'm not big on the sacrificing everything remark either. He sacrificed his NFL career, but now that doesn't matter as Nike just gave him a star performer deal worth several million $'s.

the girlfriend is the one i've heard about as well. and if i'm not mistaken, she takes things to a pretty hateful and disgusting extreme. but i'm just going on what i've heard, as i haven't actively sought out any of her content.

We have seen/heard similar things about her and like you haven’t really looked into her much but the reports indicated her influence on him has been strong, which is completely opposite if how he was raised.

I'm not big on the sacrificing everything remark either. He sacrificed his NFL career, but now that doesn't matter as Nike just gave him a star performer deal worth several million $'s.

Did he really sacrifice his career? or was it 1) his style of play got figured out by the defensive coaches around the league that has also had an impact on the success of similar QBs to include top college guys that aren’t playing much or even in the league and 2) bad management by him and/or his people since the ravens were going to sign him until he/his gf posted some nonsense on social media and also turning down a contract from the Broncos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can make the case that he is better equipped skill wise than some backups in the league.
Just as you could have made the same case for Tim Tebow a few years back.

In both cases, teams didn't want to deal with the circus that came with it. Interesting parallel is that for all of the hatred that Tim Tebow got, he just kind of showed up to work hard. No off field incidents, etc.
There are so few cases where a player that oozes talent did not find their way back into the league. I mean Mike Vick, Ray Lewis, Adrian Peterson, etc. The list is huge. If the guy had enough talent to make a difference, there is little doubt a team would sign him.

Whoever above said that Kap may be influenced by the crowd with which he surround himself, probably got it right. He's young, he's still forming another side of his personality, and may not be aware of how people are influencing him - it's that self-awareness thing and how people tend to manipulate others - unless you're aware ... and if he is aware, then it's who he is ... for now. We all change.

I don't know ow if it's good or bad for Nike, but it's certainly creating a buzz... And unfortunately a divide.... With Pat Tillman being thrown in the mix...

I've seen the Tillman thing all over social media. I think Tillman would have supported Colin honestly (whether it was the actual cause or his right to kneel), even though some of Colin's actions have been less than stellar.

Our troops, including my brother, fight/fought for the people of our country and their constitutional rights. And a few of those rights are the freedom to peaceful protest and the freedom of speech. There is certainly a divide in this country and people will use anything to back their agenda.

The Tillman thing pushes him being heroic, and I agree him and most other soldiers, law enforcement and such, are heroic... But standing up for rights and equality like Rosa Parks, MLK, Abraham Lincoln, and others is as well... Just in a different way. Many people hated those people during the day... But what came of it are changes that are still being fought for today. Colin has given up millions of dollars, along with his reputation and safety, to back something he believes in... And that's pretty heroic... No matter if you agree with his stance or not. I feel we'd be much better off as a society if people had the spine to do the same thing in many other situations (politicians, Wall Street, corporations all come to mind).

There are plenty of things in Nike's past (and many other companies) to make anyone want to boycott them (slave labor, sweatshops, etc...) and people will push it on this campaign as well...and honestly I'd bet many of those folks pushing the boycott today, didn't buy their products much before .

But as we know... Time will pass and so will this issue.

If you're in the stock for the long run... The old phrase 'buy low' comes to mind...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm sure the CFL would sign him if football is life.

CFL is not the NFL though, which is why I mentioned it could be said that he sacrificed his NFL career.

I don't think he was originally sitting because of this protest though. I believe he was sitting because he was mad that he was benched for Gabbert. He didn't come out and say why he was sitting/kneeling until a member of the media asked him 3 games into him sitting. If the media never asked, I'm guessing Kaepernick would have never said anything. But he had to have a reason for sitting as being "mad" wouldn't be acceptable to anybody in the league.

I wonder how the golf world would respond if Phil or Spieth did something like this. Would we stop buying Callaway or Titleist?

You can make the case that he is better equipped skill wise than some backups in the league.
Just as you could have made the same case for Tim Tebow a few years back.

In both cases, teams didn't want to deal with the circus that came with it. Interesting parallel is that for all of the hatred that Tim Tebow got, he just kind of showed up to work hard. No off field incidents, etc.
There are so few cases where a player that oozes talent did not find their way back into the league. I mean Mike Vick, Ray Lewis, Adrian Peterson, etc. The list is huge. If the guy had enough talent to make a difference, there is little doubt a team would sign him.

Didn’t the Ravens offer him a contract until his GF posted a pic of Ray Lewis and the owner of the Ravens on social media referencing slave owners or something?

I don't know ow if it's good or bad for Nike, but it's certainly creating a buzz... And unfortunately a divide.... With Pat Tillman being thrown in the mix...

I've seen the Tillman thing all over social media. I think Tillman would have supported Colin honestly (whether it was the actual cause or his right to kneel), even though some of Colin's actions have been less than stellar.

Our troops, including my brother, fight/fought for the people of our country and their constitutional rights. And a few of those rights are the freedom to peaceful protest and the freedom of speech. There is certainly a divide in this country and people will use anything to back their agenda.

The Tillman thing pushes him being heroic, and I agree him and most other soldiers, law enforcement and such, are heroic... But standing up for rights and equality like Rosa Parks, MLK, Abraham Lincoln, and others is as well... Just in a different way. Many people hated those people during the day... But what came of it are changes that are still being fought for today. Colin has given up millions of dollars, along with his reputation and safety, to back something he believes in... And that's pretty heroic... No matter if you agree with his stance or not. I feel we'd be much better off as a society if people had the spine to do the same thing in many other situations (politicians, Wall Street, corporations all come to mind).

There are plenty of things in Nike's past (and many other companies) to make anyone want to boycott them (slave labor, sweatshops, etc...) and people will push it on this campaign as well...and honestly I'd bet many of those folks pushing the boycott today, didn't buy their products much before .

But as we know... Time will pass and so will this issue.

If you're in the stock for the long run... The old phrase 'buy low' comes to mind...

Wait, did you just compare Kapp to Lincoln?

Kapp is an idiot. I don’t think he brought to light any real issues involving minorities. Hope Nike feels a backlash on this one.

Didn’t the Ravens offer him a contract until his GF posted a pic of Ray Lewis and the owner of the Ravens on social media referencing slave owners or something?

The Ravens were planning on bringing him in to discuss coming back and working out. Then that came up. Here is Ray Lewis talking about it.
That is why I have never thought the idea of his kneeling was the issue, its the complete PR circus that comes with it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...olin-kaepernick-because-of-girlfriends-tweet/

I'm saying there are plenty of people that were hated for bringing up social issues... because we're seeing more outcry, protests and voices on many social issues of many areas that we have never seen before. People are speaking up... And much of it has happened since he first took a knee...

Wait, did you just compare Kapp to Lincoln?

Kapp is an idiot. I don’t think he brought to light any real issues involving minorities. Hope Nike feels a backlash on this one.

Paxton Lynch got cut so the Broncos could bring in Chris Hogan. If that move right there doesnt tell you its about the PR circus, nothing will. Its not about talent and im shocked a team hasnt brought him in yet. It will probably happen, but the window is closing. Maybe the Raiders will be the team to bite. They need to make a move that doesnt make them look like fools

I am sure this campaign was vetted and researched for months and months. Nike is beholden to their stockholders so my guess is while this campaign is motivated by social issues it's also a means to generate revenue. For every conservative burning their Monarch Ones they bought from Kohl's for 59.00, a liberal is buying a pair of Pegasus today to show their support.

Wu-Tang said it best, C.R.E.A.M.

Paxton Lynch got cut so the Broncos could bring in Chris Hogan. If that move right there doesnt tell you its about the PR circus, nothing will. Its not about talent and im shocked a team hasnt brought him in yet. It will probably happen, but the window is closing. Maybe the Raiders will be the team to bite. They need to make a move that doesnt make them look like fools
PR circus is definitely the issue... Both in person and everywhere else. The NFL don't care about the issue. We all know that. They've let plenty of wife beaters and more back plenty of times. But the public backlash is so huge, including involvement from the presidential office... it's one time they won't budge...the collusion is real.

If people don't think the media circus matters, then Dez Bryant would be employed : )

Eh, the Browns did offer him a contract. Yes it was a veteran minimum deal, but if he could put ego aside he would be employed right now

If people don't think the media circus matters, then Dez Bryant would be employed : )

but Dez was offered a contract. His ego is why hes unemployed right now

I am sure this campaign was vetted and researched for months and months. Nike is beholden to their stockholders so my guess is while this campaign is motivated by social issues it's also a means to generate revenue. For every conservative burning their Monarch Ones they bought from Kohl's for 59.00, a liberal is buying a pair of Pegasus today to show their support

Interesting take that it becomes about political wings. I'd argue is more of a drive towards a particular demographic and one that I don't personally fit in by country of origin.

Kap hasn't been relevant for a looooong time in actual sports.

PR circus is definitely the issue... Both in person and everywhere else. The NFL don't care about the issue. We all know that. They've let plenty of wife beaters and more back plenty of times. But the public backlash is so huge, including involvement from the presidential office... it's one time they won't budge...the collusion is real.

A bunch of people that deal in similar business and don't want to deal with a circus does not equal collusion.
As indicated with the Ravens until that awful social media message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back