Nike Signs Kaepernick: Good/Bad Business Decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
Supposedly Nike has signed Kaepernick to a top tier contract and has created an ad campaign around him. Is this a good or bad business decision?

On one side, I expect a lot of people who are opposed to kneeling during the national anthem deciding to boycott Nike stuff.

On the the other hand, I could see the Kaepernick backers becoming stronger supporters/consumers of Nike gear.

The question is will the supporters purchase enough to make up for the people who decide to boycott Nike.

Hasnt he been under contract with Nike since 2011?

Sorry but this is more appropriate and I will leave my commentary at that
e30855b6d7924bd574c39d727ddb36cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume Nike did their due diligence in figuring out if this would harm/help them. I think they'll be just fine.

I also doubt many people are going to boycott Nike.

Sets a bad image for Nike. This dude is toxic and while the sneaker culture and others will not care one way or the other, those with disposable income will voice their displeasure with their buying power. They could have used him in a better campaign ad to bring awareness to the issues he’s fighting for. Using the wording is what doesn’t sit right with me because he hasn’t sacrificed anything.

Nike is down already this morning and not sure if it’s the market overall or a direct correlation to this ad. Hard to believe the ad has this much effect this soon on the markets, but they are losing market cap right now based on early stock trading.

I assume Nike did their due diligence in figuring out if this would harm/help them. I think they'll be just fine.

I also doubt many people are going to boycott Nike.

Boycott? No....but I haven’t bought Nike stuff for any athletic or casual wear purposes for a long long time. So it basically gives me another reason to keep buying what I like more to begin with .

Hasnt he been under contract with Nike since 2011?

From the news feed:
Kaepernick already had a deal with Nike that was set to expire, but it was renegotiated into a multi-year deal to make him one of the faces of Nike's 30th anniversary "Just Do It" campaign, according to a person familiar with the contract. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because Nike hasn't officially announced the contract.

Sets a bad image for Nike. This dude is toxic and while the sneaker culture and others will not care one way or the other, those with disposable income will voice their displeasure with their buying power. They could have used him in a better campaign ad to bring awareness to the issues he’s fighting for. Using the wording is what doesn’t sit right with me because he hasn’t sacrificed anything.

Nike is down already this morning and not sure if it’s the market overall or a direct correlation to this ad. Hard to believe the ad has this much effect this soon on the markets, but they are losing market cap right now based on early stock trading.

Going to be interesting to see but there was buzz around social media about a boycott. If the markets feel like consumers will not be buying anything Nike as a result it could have the current impact. Nike has the nfl jersey contract and with the nfl already reeling from the kneeling during the nthdm thisxisnt going to help

This could turn into a debate, and with a quickness. Just like anything, there is going to be an initial, emotional reaction and then in a month or so people will go back to what they always do and forget.

I will, however, share a thought/story from a brilliant former football teammate of mine, who happens to be African American. Just think on this one.

"Saw a homeless vet outside the Starbucks on [street names] today on my break from the submarine of football. I gave him some change and still felt guilty (no shirt, in jeans in this heat) that I didn't have more to give. Then get home and see the news of the burning/cutting and destruction of all the Nike clothing and shoes because of the Kaep ad and just shake my damn head and laugh. Maybe, just maybe, those items should've been donated to homeless vets seeing as it's 'all about the troops,' right?"

I am way too ignorant to the cause Kaep stands for to even make a statement. I'm a 31 year old white male who is employed and my kids have little to moderate exposure to different races through school and sports. I wont be one of those "go away and let me enjoy my football" guys because clearly there are many who agree with the stance he is taking. Sacrifice happens in many forms and no one has the right to judge what others sacrifice. Just sad that still in today's country what color you are and what you stand for bothers others. Tillman died fighting for the hope that one day it doesnt matter who you are, we can all respect each other

In my opinion, this will definitely create some hard stances on both side -- in support and boycotting. Not sure it's the best move for Nike, because I'm not sure it'll move sneakers and athletic gear since he's not playing a sport.....?? That said, the campaign "message" seems to apply, but again, he's not playing a sport right now.

Perhaps a plea for someone to sign him...?

Going to be interesting to see but there was buzz around social media about a boycott. If the markets feel like consumers will not be buying anything Nike as a result it could have the current impact. Nike has the nfl jersey contract and with the nfl already reeling from the kneeling during the nthdm thisxisnt going to help

That’s my point. Hard to tell if this drop is a result of this or just the market in general.

Nike has a market cap of $128 billion. Stock closed last week at $82.20... opened today at $79.39...currently at $79 (real time trading) so they’ve lost a good chunk of change.

Overall i agree the nfl didn’t need this right now given all the other crap they are dealing with.

This dude is toxic

aside from the kneeling, i very much agree with this. he seems to surround himself with loud, controversial and hateful people.

if it's just about kneeling and social justice, i think it's a brilliant (if pandering) move by nike. but given the extremes to which he and his circle of influence can take matters, i think the risk is too great that he will say something so outlandish and offensive that nike is forced to distance themselves.

I don't think it hurts Nike at all in the long run. Short term - yeah it could, but I get the feeling they know what they're doing.

Personally it won't have any effect on whether or not I buy Nike. They took a stance and that's their right. I've always enjoyed their clothes/shoes and if it fits and it's comfortable I'll buy it. If I boycotted every company I had disagreements with, I probably wouldn't be wearing much of anything.

That’s my point. Hard to tell if this drop is a result of this or just the market in general.

Nike has a market cap of $128 billion. Stock closed last week at $82.20... opened today at $79.39...currently at $79 (real time trading) so they’ve lost a good chunk of change.

Overall i agree the nfl didn’t need this right now given all the other crap they are dealing with.

With you. My initial gut is investors are worried but the heads says this early on the day it may just be normal market movements.

From a market and Nike reaction it will be an interesting story to follow

I am way too ignorant to the cause Kaep stands for to even make a statement. I'm a 31 year old white male who is employed and my kids have little to moderate exposure to different races through school and sports. I wont be one of those "go away and let me enjoy my football" guys because clearly there are many who agree with the stance he is taking. Sacrifice happens in many forms and no one has the right to judge what others sacrifice. Just sad that still in today's country what color you are and what you stand for bothers others. Tillman died fighting for the hope that one day it doesnt matter who you are, we can all respect each other

I agree with this so much.
The flip side is the company is going dead on with the idea that "controversy creates cash" and if Mr. Kaepernick believes this strongly in the message, I am not sure this is the best way to deploy it. Sacrificing everything perhaps would be better suited with a picture of Mr. Tillman.

aside from the kneeling, i very much agree with this. he seems to surround himself with loud, controversial and hateful people.

if it's just about kneeling and social justice, i think it's a brilliant (if pandering) move by nike. but given the extremes to which he and his circle of influence can take matters, i think the risk is too great that he will say something so outlandish and offensive that nike is forced to distance themselves.

Yep, the kneeling and all of that it’s their right. I may not agree, but I get it and I’ve seen the bias in the inner city they are protesting about.

So many more reasons our inner cities are the way they are and blaming it all on LEO’s is an easy way out and a way to deal with the real issues.

That aside given all the publicity so far, Nike probably will have to make a statement/stand sooner or later if this blows up more than it is.

Supposedly Nike has signed Kaepernick to a top tier contract and has created an ad campaign around him. Is this a good or bad business decision?

On one side, I expect a lot of people who are opposed to kneeling during the national anthem deciding to boycott Nike stuff.

On the the other hand, I could see the Kaepernick backers becoming stronger supporters/consumers of Nike gear.

The question is will the supporters purchase enough to make up for the people who decide to boycott Nike.

I've seen some comments on Facebook about boycotting Nike apparel. Honestly though, what I buy has nothing to do with the people Nike uses to advertise outside of their golfers. I'm pretty numb and will continue to be.

All that said, the ad is total BS. Dude made like 40 million in the NFL and is probably making a crap ton with Nike. "Sacrifice everything"? I think that dude is more numb to his cause than most are.

I don't know if it is a good or bad decision. They are getting tons of attention so it is working. If we believe all exposure is good exposure it is working. But I don't know...there are already some pretty hard entrenched feelings about this. If those feelings can hurt the uber-strong NFL...maybe not a smart move by Nike.

Bad decision? No.

I've always felt the protest was not against the anthem itself but against violence to a particular race. Now I don't think they are doing it in the right place or time and can do it on their own time - if you're taking a knee and not doing anything else, are you really committed?

If Nike takes that approach, that Kap is the face of a righteous protest and doing the right thing, it may work - But it's a hard sell with certain aspects of our citizenry.

Volume in the stock is pretty high for a 1/2 hour in to trading, down only 2+%. I expected more.

The ad seems little hypocritical to me and I think it divides more that it conquers - of course one could say that is what exactly what the ad is suppose to do.
With the networks not showing the National Anthem anymore to avoid this controversy, the ad is perfectly placed, the week of the start of NFL season.

Can't imagine the conversations inside Nike that were had about whether to produce this ad or not. Maybe there was no back and forth as I think there should have be.

Wonder how long it will take the President to mention it on Twitter or at a Rally.

I agree with what some people have already said in that all publicity is good publicity. I looked up the ad to see what it was, and I have to admit that the with the wording does not fit with the image. While Kaepernik has been "shunned" by other in the NFL and some in the public he has yet to give everything. I am not really sure how this will affect the company as a whole but I know that it will not influence me on way or another to by a product.

My knee-jerk reaction to this is one of complete confusion. Portraying Kaepernick as someone who has "sacrificed everything" just does not resonate with me even a tiny bit. I do respect that there are those out there who feel like Kaepernick is their voice, but for me this ad just takes it way too far.

That said, this won't change my buying habits at all for the better or for the worse. If I boycotted every company who sponsored someone I didn't fully understand or agree with I'd be running around naked.

Not an american, so not going to comment on the flag/patriotism thing.

However, good or bad, depending on your narrative, Kap and Nike caused the initial topic to come into the forefront again.

Someone posted here in the past or maybe I saw it in a feed on social media but what I read was that he didn’t start down this social justice warrior type path and being an activist until he met his current/recent gf. Apparently she was an activist and her circle of friends are as well. He seems to be the guy that goes with he flow of the crowd he is around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back