Footprints round the hole ? (Solution)

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I play with a group who have a rule. Last one in the hole removes the balls.

That way only one person is leaning over to pick the balls up, and youre not waiting for guys to putt out and retrieve the ball.

If you want something that
a) speeds up play and
b) has less people tramping near the hole

This is a good solution.
I recommend giving it a try.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Interesting solution to the issue, I like it. I will say that not being able to fix cleat/shoe marks on the green is incredibly stupid. Also, not holing everything out inside of 3 feet can cut down on a lot.

Except, by rule, if a ball goes into the hole, hits another ball already in the hole, and bounces out, the ball is still in play.

Also, don't step in other people's lines. Courses with full tee sheets will always have cleat marks around the hole. I would rather that than an empty tee sheet.

It's an interesting idea, but I just don't see the benefit unless you are in the first couple groups off in the morning. Even then it's not exactly difficult to avoid a playing partners line when picking your ball out of the hole.
If you tee off at 3pm, those greens are going to have marks everywhere around the cup no matter what.

We have a similar problem usually after ladies league. It also depends on how soft the greens are also. Here lately it hasn't been as bad because they are hardening the greens back up and rolling them.

Good idea though.....

Except, by rule, if a ball goes into the hole, hits another ball already in the hole, and bounces out, the ball is still in play.

If the group as a whole decides to do this and if this happens.....im sure they wont play it that way. I wouldn't for sure.....

I think that's a fine way in a casual round..as it may save a few minutes on the day. But there are so many variables in that...as someone said, if the ball goes in, hits the other balls and comes out, it's technically not in the hole.

My big issue are the marks on the green I wish you were allowed to stamp down spike marks on the green. We've got guys that grind their feet picking the ball out of the hole and it's brutal. Borders on damaging the green honestly. Drives our group crazy...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I don't mind the cleat marks, it is part of it. It is the people who can't pick up their feet and leave bad scuffs all over.

I think that's a fine way in a casual round..as it may save a few minutes on the day. But there are so many variables in that...as someone said, if the ball goes in, hits the other balls and comes out, it's technically not in the hole.

My big issue are the marks on the green I wish you were allowed to stamp down spike marks on the green. We've got guys that grind their feet picking the ball out of the hole and it's brutal. Borders on damaging the green honestly. Drives our group crazy...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Starting next year you'll be allowed to fix them!

That’s the way my buddies play and I play. The greens on our local courses are usually a wreck. I feel a little better when I fix an extra ball mark and don’t contribute to the mess around the hole.

I do agree that people need to be more mindful of what they do on the green, I play a public course and usually tee off at 6:30 AM so the greens are usually wet and soft, you would not expect to see much around the hole but there is a group of older guys that are out at first light and it looks like they are dancing a jig around every hole. They don't even think about other people on the course and that disturbs me. If there going to tread all over right around the cup they could at least wear spike less shoes.

All balls out of the hole before I putt. Reasons have been stated above, but also the ball doesn't want to go in the hole if there is already a ball there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think more golfers need to use spikeless shoes, to be honest. I know it won't happen but the newer spikeless golf shoes have been pretty damned good, lately. Never mind the fact that most are infinitely more comfortable.

As stated before, I can't stop the 200 people who have played before me.

The one thing that Ive started noticing, the fog pullers tearing up the edge of the whole. Starting to tap that down on those putts 10 feet and closer. Saves me a stroke or two.

Lol
All balls out of the hole before I putt. Reasons have been stated above, but also the ball doesn't want to go in the hole if there is already a ball there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Youre right but I have Never seen it happen, there's more than enough room for 4 balls in the cup.

I practice with 6 balls and have only had my 6th do that once.

Not a bad idea but not for me. I like to hear to beautiful sound of my ball rattle into a cup 18times. A big part of what I pay for to go play.

The issue I see is with people dragging their feet and scuffing up the green.

Back