The 2018 Ryder Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the Ryder cup has turned into the all star game in baseball. The guys that should be there are not, it’s a popularity contest

The 11 on the team so far are the top 11 in the standings.

Today Euro Ryder Cup captain Thomas Bjorn apparently ignored the sensational play of Wallace and Cabrera Bello .
Bjorn selected Garcia, Casey, Stenson, and Poulter, most of whom are well down the points ranking list.

Thats a fair point but I don't recall seeing Phil contend in any majors this year and in all except the Masters Tiger has outplayed Phil by a large margin. I agree about Xander but Finau has the hotter hand right now I think and sometimes you have to ride the hot hand.

I dont disagree. They said early on that wins meant more.

To me if Tiger were to make the team, Phil would have to also, especially considering he outplayed him at Northern Trust and Dell.
To me I guess we can pick stats that fit something, but if its hot hand, Phil has played better in the FedEx Cup. If its wins, he is the only one of the four with a win this year.

Or we go strictly by the standings and I believe the top 11 are what have been selected, right?

I dont disagree. They said early on that wins meant more.

To me if Tiger were to make the team, Phil would have to also, especially considering he outplayed him at Northern Trust and Dell.
To me I guess we can pick stats that fit something, but if its hot hand, Phil has played better in the FedEx Cup. If its wins, he is the only one of the four with a win this year.

Or we go strictly by the standings and I believe the top 11 are what have been selected, right?

That is correct. Like I said I don't mind Phil, but if he wasn't on the team this year I wouldn't be sad about it. Do wins really tell you anything? Especially if they are early in the year with weak fields? I don't think so.

Also in my eyes Captains picks should be just that, guys who the captain thinks will help the team win. Technically they could be anyone right? If not why not just make the whole thing points based and the top 12 get in and eliminate all the drama?

That is correct. Like I said I don't mind Phil, but if he wasn't on the team this year I wouldn't be sad about it. Do wins really tell you anything? Especially if they are early in the year with weak fields? I don't think so.

Also in my eyes Captains picks should be just that, guys who the captain thinks will help the team win. Technically they could be anyone right? If not why not just make the whole thing points based and the top 12 get in and eliminate all the drama?

Yeah I dont disagree. I just think a guy like Phil is so warranted with his recent play and getting a win. Although I do think wins say something. Folding on Sunday or under pressure is not ideal : )
The guy that screwed this whole thing up was Webb Simpson.

Glad that PGA Champion Brooks Koepka mentioned how he heard Tiger out there on Sunday, ya know, applying pressure and getting the Tiger roars from the crowd on his way to shooting an unfolded 64

I didn't want Phil to make the squad because I don't care for him. Hopefully he brings his A game however as this will probably be his last Ryder Cup as a non Captain.

Xander is continuing to play well

I didn't want Phil to make the squad because I don't care for him. Hopefully he brings his A game however as this will probably be his last Ryder Cup as a non Captain.
He should relinquish the spot to Xander and be an Ass Cap this year

He should relinquish the spot to Xander and be an Ass Cap this year

The right thing to so is see Xander and Finau are better options for the team than he is and remove himself. Be an assistant captain and still be part of the team that way.

The right thing to so is see Xander and Finau are better options for the team than he is and remove himself. Be an assistant captain and still be part of the team that way.

But that's not happening. If Phil is the weak link on the team just have him sit more during partner-play and hope for the best during singles play. He'd be like a pseudo assistant playing captain.

But that's not happening. If Phil is the weak link on the team just have him sit more during partner-play and hope for the best during singles play. He'd be like a pseudo assistant playing captain.

I’m sure that would sit will with him and his ego to sit.

I know it won’t happen, but from my perspective it’s time for the younger guys to get the experience, especially overseas, and his spot is as an assistant captain for them to lean on.

Fans.
Phil has a win and is outplaying Tiger in the playoffs and you don’t hear the same people saying Tiger shouldn’t be there.

Fans.
Phil has a win and is outplaying Tiger in the playoffs and you don’t hear the same people saying Tiger shouldn’t be there.

I don’t think Tiger should be there either. Even playing at his best he hasn’t been a stalwart on RC teams iirc.

My perspective has do with its time to get these young guys some experience and have the vets mentor them along the way .

Man watching the debate of Tiger-Phil even in 2018 is hilarious.

I'll just support the US Ryder Cup team whoever is named. Proud Nation over here in the US of A.

Phil has outplayed Tiger in playoffs is interesting as it may not be the case after this weekend.

Tiger has DESTROYED Phil in the majors.

Tiger has outplayed Phil by a TON over the last few months (or many months depending on how you look at it).

Im just not sure why the Phil fans cant accept he has played like trash for the large majority of the last 6 months.
Pointing to a win basically during the winter doesnt offset playing like garbage imo.

Guess that means Ted Potter Jr should get a spot too since he won earlier this year too.

And the real travesty isnt even Tiger and Phil its the spot Phil got that either Xander or Finau wont get.

Phil has outplayed Tiger in playoffs is interesting as it may not be the case after this weekend.

Tiger has DESTROYED Phil in the majors.

Tiger has outplayed Phil by a TON over the last few months (or many months depending on how you look at it).

Im just not sure why the Phil fans cant accept he has played like trash for the large majority of the last 6 months.
Pointing to a win basically during the winter doesnt offset playing like garbage imo.

Guess that means Ted Potter Jr should get a spot too since he won earlier this year too.

And the real travesty isnt even Tiger and Phil its the spot Phil got that either Xander or Finau wont get.

I agree with everything you said.

I think if Xander wins or comes close to winning (top 3) he should get the pick over Finau - I think he should get the pick over Finau regardless.

I think when Furyk was first named Captain he said he wanted more Winners than guys who place well.

I think if Xander wins or comes close to winning (top 3) he should get the pick over Finau - I think he should get the pick over Finau regardless.

I think when Furyk was first named Captain he said he wanted more Winners than guys who place well.
It would be tough to snub Finau though cause him and DJ lead the tour in top 10 finishes.
Furyk created this mess by taking Phil otherwise he would have the 2 hot hands on the squad but like you said maybe not what he wants.

Id wonder if going forward they dont lock the top 8 in until a few weeks later since there is a lot of shifting and then hold off on doing the rest til East Lake.

I'm still a Finau over Xander guy. If X gets the win, I can't fault that pick one bit. If he finishes say 4th and Finau is still in the top 10, I'm going Finau. Also, if X doesn't qualify for the Tour Championship, I'm not taking him. Lot's of ifs. I still with he took someone other than Phil earlier this week, it would have made things much more interesting if you ask me.

It would be tough to snub Finau though cause him and DJ lead the tour in top 10 finishes.
Furyk created this mess by taking Phil otherwise he would have the 2 hot hands on the squad but like you said maybe not what he wants.

Id wonder if going forward they dont lock the top 8 in until a few weeks later since there is anlot of shifting snd then hold off on doing the rest til East Lake.

I'm on board with this idea.

I'm still a Finau over Xander guy. If X gets the win, I can't fault that pick one bit. If he finishes say 4th and Finau is still in the top 10, I'm going Finau. Also, if X doesn't qualify for the Tour Championship, I'm not taking him. Lot's of ifs. I still with he took someone other than Phil earlier this week, it would have made things much more interesting if you ask me.

I like the winners going - to that point Finau and Xander have different games, I wonder if the decision come down to who fits in better for pairings

How do the picks go if they had to be made after the PGA? Was it 9 on points, 3 captain’s picks last time? Or was that 2014?

Anyone remember who was 9th in points then? Was it Phil or DeChambeau? I think Tiger would be in and Finau and whoever was not 9th.

I don’t think Tiger should be there either. Even playing at his best he hasn’t been a stalwart on RC teams iirc.

My perspective has do with its time to get these young guys some experience and have the vets mentor them along the way .

I agree with this. Furyj said wins matter and then just went chalk. He went right by the rankings and I guess I’m okay with that.

Phil got the win and outplayed TW going into this week of playoffs, so far TW outplaying this week, but we shall see.

Webb screwed this whole thing up.

I'm on board with this idea.

I like the winners going - to that point Finau and Xander have different games, I wonder if the decision come down to who fits in better for pairings

that they do, and for that I like Finau. Don't get me wrong, I like Xanders game, but I really like what Finau would bring to the team. Plus he's shown up for some big events this year carding top 10's in the first 3 majors. I think he can be a weapon in the fourball sessions.

If you are in to statistics, check out these strokes gained numbers. Finau a clear winner there.

Finau
Off the tee: 20
Approach the green: 22
Around the green: 30
putting: 82
tee to green: 13
total: 11th

Xander
Off the tee: 58
Approach the green: 78
Around the green: 127
putting: 113
tee to green: 75
total: 77

#TeamTony

#10 in birdie or better %. Takes birdies to win holes in match play.

that they do, and for that I like Finau. Don't get me wrong, I like Xanders game, but I really like what Finau would bring to the team. Plus he's shown up for some big events this year carding top 10's in the first 3 majors. I think he can be a weapon in the fourball sessions.

If you are in to statistics, check out these strokes gained numbers. Finau a clear winner there.

Finau
Off the tee: 20
Approach the green: 22
Around the green: 30
putting: 82
tee to green: 13
total: 11th

Xander
Off the tee: 58
Approach the green: 78
Around the green: 127
putting: 113
tee to green: 75
total: 77

Thats assuming the intangibles all being equal (which I think they are) in terms of off course and what not - one patrick reed is enough lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back