Rules question....

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.1
While watching the PGA tournament this weekend, I noticed Jordan Spieth on a couple of occasions reach forward with his putter either on or near his line and tamp down on the green.
I assume this is to knock down something sticking up. Isn't this illegal ? I know you can fix ball marks but that is usually done with a tool and then tamped down.
He clearly did not repair a mark and then tamp it down. Both times I noticed this, he had already placed his ball and remove his mark.
Am I wrong here?
No, I am not a Jordan hater, just asking for clarification or if anyone else saw this.

While watching the PGA tournament this weekend, I noticed Jordan Spieth on a couple of occasions reach forward with his putter either on or near his line and tamp down on the green.
I assume this is to knock down something sticking up. Isn't this illegal ? I know you can fix ball marks but that is usually done with a tool and then tamped down.
He clearly did not repair a mark and then tamp it down. Both times I noticed this, he had already placed his ball and remove his mark.
Am I wrong here?
No, I am not a Jordan hater, just asking for clarification or if anyone else saw this.

Tapping down "old ball marks" is permitted, but correct protocol is to let your playing partners know you are doing so, and sometimes ask for confirmation that it is in fact an old ball mark.
These days all the regular Tour players are making millions of dollars, so they are friendly with each other, and strict observance of the Rules is too often neglected.

Back