Callaway "Players/GI" Hollow Body Irons in 2019?

I don't have any numbers but going off what I have read/heard the answer is a resounding yes. It's a new category "players distance iron" and they have the best offering IMO.

"

Better than their last players' iron for sure.
Not taking over the top spot in market share, no.

Thanks, guys. Hate no longer knowing this stuff.

Constantly on backorder and the utility iron has a backorder of November. To many they are the pxg killer. Imo pxg are softer and better performing. I also think once people start hittting the ping i500 the 790s will lose appeal.

Welcome to any high end Taylormade offering in Canada. Always backordered. Also leaves the question of how many sets they actually planned to produce vs. individual orders.

Always backordered. Also leaves the question of how many sets they actually planned to produce vs. individual orders.

With new owners, and previous lackluster sales in the TP models, they have been very conservative. Personally I think that is a good thing. Apple and Sony taught us it also creates demand.

i500, ap3, c300 forged, kftb

i would think callaway has something in this lineup too, no? rogue or rogue pro? cf16?

but of what you listed, my perception is that p790 is outselling all of those by a fair margin.

Heavier weight like tungsten most definitely can help move weight low.
Tungsten can be a pricey proposition, so it has been avoided in some cases. Similar to a few other tech items in manufacturing.

Absolutely. And I completely understand that the Epic's feel a bit more harsh than some of the other irons in this category (which is why Urethane Microspheres are now a thing).

Call me a homer, but I think Callaway's R&D is already on top of the engineering benefits provided by these construction techniques. That's why cup face has been such a big deal, and why they're ahead in overall market share.

Competitors have found a way of catching up with hollow body designs. But I wouldn't be surprised if Callaway has something special up their sleeves without resorting to building a copy cat type of club.

Haha. You’ll probably want to stop after this sentence too then. To me they are very close in performance and ping wins in the looks department. I’ll give 790s sloth advantage in sound/feel especially on the low hits. Talking to my fitter the other day on why he switched and he said performance and looks were the two biggest and flight control was the third.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup, I hate you. Not really, but just in this moment. Also because I got a text from O'Carroll the other day that said i500 with LZ shafts are money haha

I'm going to have to start ignoring your posts because they will only cost me money.

Haha. You’ll probably want to stop after this sentence too then. To me they are very close in performance and ping wins in the looks department. I’ll give 790s sloth advantage in sound/feel especially on the low hits. Talking to my fitter the other day on why he switched and he said performance and looks were the two biggest and flight control was the third.

yup, I hate you. Not really, but just in this moment. Also because I got a text from O'Carroll the other day that said i500 with LZ shafts are money haha

i would think callaway has something in this lineup too, no? rogue or rogue pro? cf16?

but of what you listed, my perception is that p790 is outselling all of those by a fair margin.

Probably the Epic line? Not sure.

With new owners, and previous lackluster sales in the TP models, they have been very conservative. Personally I think that is a good thing. Apple and Sony taught us it also creates demand.

Had a feeling that may be the case. It makes sense given their history and costs vs. volume. With so much in club fitting and people waiting for what they want vs. buying off of the shelves, large inventory numbers just don't make sense.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off track here from the original Callaway topic.

No worries there’s room on the hate list still haha.

That combo would be money for anyone looking for that help in launch and spin and the feel the lz offers. I hit the 210s with just the px 6.0 and it took my love for that head with lighter shaft options like Nippon 105 or dg 120 up a notch.

Probably the Epic line? Not sure.

CF16 and Apex before it are definitely in this lineup. You could argue that while Cobra was probably the first with it, Callaway made this category popular with the Apex relaunch.

Aren't they already in pretty solid control of CG when they are customizing the shape of the tungsten insert in each iron like on the Epic line?

I'm probably missing something, but I think just adding a hollow body iron to the lineup just to chase a trend seems pretty silly. Callaway has already incorporated technologies that provide the benefits other manufacturers are getting from a hollow body shape but without using that specific construction style.

From the numbers I've seen comparing these types of irons, the Epic Pro is right up there in ball speed, distance, and slightly better in shot dispersion than the other two hollow body irons mentioned in this thread. The only they're missing is that they don't look like a blade. This is obviously just personal preference, but if I really want irons that look like a blade I'll just play blades.

I know that you have those irons in your bag from the Grandaddy. But the elephant in the room is that the Epic/Epic Pro irons were priced at a significantly higher price point than the i500 and the P790 irons are and they were billed as a limited release. Seems like the only company that some will pay the premium for is PXG, and even they are bending a bit on price by discounting the Gen 1 irons now.

From a performance standpoint in terms of ball speed/spin, Callaway probably gets pretty close with the Apex CF16 line. But that line is getting close to being 3 years old, and the profile isn't as sleek as something like the P790, i500 and 0311T/0311P. The Rogue and Rogue Pro irons, for whatever reason, don't seem to have as much buzz as other iron sets out there, despite Callaway being the #1 seller of irons in the market.

what else would you include the "players distance iron" category?

i can see how the p790 would fit some people, but i can also see how it could hurt others. i got great ball speeds out of it, but the launch and spin were pretty bad for me and of the irons i tested that day it performed the worst. i have hit it a few times since then with different shafts, and always come away scratching my head because what i experience is so different from others.

You are pretty low spin on your shots, right? I can see how these types of clubs wouldn't work well with that type of player. FWIW, I'm a bit of the same way but am lucky in that my launch is fairly high. Still, I've had to go to a ball that spins a good bit to get better performance out of my Apex CF16 irons for stopping power (Chrome Soft X). TXG did a video recently that talked about how the "players distance irons" are really good for someone that actually spins the ball a bit too much, whether that is through applying too much sidespin or another issue.

Players Distance Iron is a good description. Rogue X is the best selling iron in the Rogue line. Got to get into the Player Distance Iron Category. Callaway loves to boast about Distance Gains.

Players Distance Iron is a good description. Rogue X is the best selling iron in the Rogue line. Got to get into the Player Distance Iron Category. Callaway loves to boast about Distance Gains.

Way too chunky for the "Player" part of "Players Distance Iron".

I know that you have those irons in your bag from the Grandaddy. But the elephant in the room is that the Epic/Epic Pro irons were priced at a significantly higher price point than the i500 and the P790 irons are and they were billed as a limited release. Seems like the only company that some will pay the premium for is PXG, and even they are bending a bit on price by discounting the Gen 1 irons now.

From a performance standpoint in terms of ball speed/spin, Callaway probably gets pretty close with the Apex CF16 line. But that line is getting close to being 3 years old, and the profile isn't as sleek as something like the P790, i500 and 0311T/0311P. The Rogue and Rogue Pro irons, for whatever reason, don't seem to have as much buzz as other iron sets out there, despite Callaway being the #1 seller of irons in the market.

Absolutely, I highly doubt I'd be playing the Epic Pro irons if it wasn't for THP and the Grandaddy. Now that they're available on CPO though it's a bit of a different story...

My main point was that Callaway has been releasing irons for quite a few years that have many of the same advantages of the new hollow body models without the shape.

I think the big buzz around these types of clubs is that it allows people that need the help technology provides the ability to play something that looks like a blade.

I totally get that though. I'm interested in hitting the new Ping line, even if I'm not likely to switch any time soon.

Sure looks like the hollow body iron is about to explode, so I'll be surprised if Callaway doesn't have something with a players' profile in the works. I think we'll see hollow irons offered in nearly every category from most manufacturers. I'm not sure if Srixon and Mizuno will be launching full sets, but then I don't think Titleist intended too, either. Maybe Srixon will allow Cleveland to handle the category, which is probably a better fit from a marketing standpoint.

You are pretty low spin on your shots, right? I can see how these types of clubs wouldn't work well with that type of player. FWIW, I'm a bit of the same way but am lucky in that my launch is fairly high. Still, I've had to go to a ball that spins a good bit to get better performance out of my Apex CF16 irons for stopping power (Chrome Soft X). TXG did a video recently that talked about how the "players distance irons" are really good for someone that actually spins the ball a bit too much, whether that is through applying too much sidespin or another issue.

I wouldn’t consider pxg bending on gen 1 as the current offering for them is a limited time offer. I agree with the desire to purchase high end domestic bring more towards pxg and titleist c16. Those two brands are offering limited quantities in the c16 and in pxg’s case the exclusivity and prestige which has been the motto from the get go where Callaway has the perception of a big oem and clubs on the lower end of the price spectrum and not really as his high end brand or one that would bring prestige in owning the club especially when similar designs can be had from them at a lesser price especially with the rogue line coming out within a year of the epic

I wouldn’t consider pxg bending on gen 1 as the current offering for them is a limited time offer. I agree with the desire to purchase high end domestic bring more towards pxg and titleist c16. Those two brands are offering limited quantities in the c16 and in pxg’s case the exclusivity and prestige which has been the motto from the get go where Callaway has the perception of a big oem and clubs on the lower end of the price spectrum and not really as his high end brand or one that would bring prestige in owning the club especially when similar designs can be had from them at a lesser price especially with the rogue line coming out within a year of the epic

What would you call C lineup from Titleist to their next lineup? after launch of the limited edition C they were excited to unveil how that tech was put into the regular lineup. In fact Josh Talge, senior VP there told @ddec and myself how the concept car acceptance told them they had the aesthetics right.

It’s easy to forget that Callaway is the company that shifted the prices of golf clubs to the masses. This came with driver, relaunch of Big Bertha and Apex.

Last edited:

same shaft in 6i for srixon 565, 718 ap2 i200, and p790 my spin numbers were 4,402, 5,250, 4,748 and 4,262, respectively. that shaft (accra 95 proto) was a struggle for me, though. i tried my gamer shaft (modus3 105) in the 565 and ap2 and my spin numbers were 5,305 and 6,214, respectively. never did re-try the p790 with my gamer shaft because i disliked pretty much everything about it and the fitter said it wouldn't work for me.

Callaway needs an answer to the P790's. I am sure they will do something with Graphene or Microspheres and call it revolutionary.

They have the Apex line which is in the same category of the P790 line...

They have the Apex line which is in the same category of the P790 line...

Yeah and need to release new version as loosing share. Know several people went in to replace apex with rogue and left with a 790

Back