Callaway "Players/GI" Hollow Body Irons in 2019?

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So after watching some YouTube reviews last night on the i500,i700 and P790's, I realized that Callaway doesn't have a "Players/Game Improvement" Hollow Body Iron in their line up and are the only "Major" without one - If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

If I'm right, think the Grandaddy guys will see one in December of this year?
Maybe a Hollow Body with Microspheres?

Last edited:
The Big Bertha line is hollow body.

So after watching some YouTube reviews last night on the i500,i700 and P790's, I realized that Callaway doesn't have a Hollow Body Iron in their line up and are the only "Major" without one - If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

If I'm right, think the Grandaddy guys will see one in December of this year?
Maybe a Hollow Body with Microspheres?

Big Bertha is a long time hollow body, but its not the same, slimmed profile as the i500 or P790, so I understand why you might not qualify it.

A hollow body with microspheres was the Epic irons, right? Maybe something along those lines that is affordable to the masses is in the pipeline.

I'm just over here waiting for more info on the Xander irons....

Big Bertha is a long time hollow body, but its not the same, slimmed profile as the i500 or P790, so I understand why you might not qualify it.

A hollow body with microspheres was the Epic irons, right? Maybe something along those lines that is affordable to the masses is in the pipeline.

What if it is the Xander irons????

So I changed the title of the thread to "Players/Game Improvement" Hollow Body Irons.
I think microspheres started with the Rogue Line.

You and me both brother!

I could totally be wrong about this, but I think Callaway's cup face brings most of the hollow body benefits to their iron lineup already.

I look at the construction of my Epic Pros, for example, and don't see what any of the new hollow body irons have that mine are lacking.

Callaway needs an answer to the P790's. I am sure they will do something with Graphene or Microspheres and call it revolutionary.

Their Apex line is arguably some of the best clubs ever IMHO. A little high tech improvement and call it a day.

Not quite the same but the XForged UT are fantastic. I could be interested in a hollow body set in the future or a combo.

I could totally be wrong about this, but I think Callaway's cup face brings most of the hollow body benefits to their iron lineup already.

I look at the construction of my Epic Pros, for example, and don't see what any of the new hollow body irons have that mine are lacking.

The only thing a full hollow body would offer, IMHO, is more option for placement of mass to affect CG.

The only thing a full hollow body would offer, IMHO, is more option for placement of mass to affect CG.

Hollow body can allow for a couple of things.
One of them is mass movement without question.
The other in the past has been thinner faces. This can now be accomplished a number of ways such as cupped face design, pocket cavities, etc. Thinner face can allow for more ball speed and reduction of spin.

There are trade offs, such as consistency in some areas, etc. These have been discussed in spots on THP as well.

Callaway needs an answer to the P790's. I am sure they will do something with Graphene or Microspheres and call it revolutionary.

Are P790's selling that well?

I remember sitting at Titleist last August and they were very proud of the way they eliminated "hot spots" from their hollow body design of the AP1. Really working on trying to make them as consistent as what a player would get from AP2. It was a really good conversation I thought.

I don't have any numbers but going off what I have read/heard the answer is a resounding yes. It's a new category "players distance iron" and they have the best offering IMO.

"

I don't have any numbers but going off what I have read/heard the answer is a resounding yes. It's a new category "players distance iron" and they have the best offering IMO.

"

what else would you include the "players distance iron" category?

i can see how the p790 would fit some people, but i can also see how it could hurt others. i got great ball speeds out of it, but the launch and spin were pretty bad for me and of the irons i tested that day it performed the worst. i have hit it a few times since then with different shafts, and always come away scratching my head because what i experience is so different from others.

Constantly on backorder and the utility iron has a backorder of November. To many they are the pxg killer. Imo pxg are softer and better performing. I also think once people start hittting the ping i500 the 790s will lose appeal.

Constantly on backorder and the utility iron has a backorder of November. To many they are the pxg killer. Imo pxg are softer and better performing. I also think once people start hittting the ping i500 the 790s will lose appeal.

I'm going to have to start ignoring your posts because they will only cost me money.

Hollow body can allow for a couple of things.
One of them is mass movement without question.
The other in the past has been thinner faces. This can now be accomplished a number of ways such as cupped face design, pocket cavities, etc. Thinner face can allow for more ball speed and reduction of spin.

There are trade offs, such as consistency in some areas, etc. These have been discussed in spots on THP as well.

Aren't they already in pretty solid control of CG when they are customizing the shape of the tungsten insert in each iron like on the Epic line?

I'm probably missing something, but I think just adding a hollow body iron to the lineup just to chase a trend seems pretty silly. Callaway has already incorporated technologies that provide the benefits other manufacturers are getting from a hollow body shape but without using that specific construction style.

From the numbers I've seen comparing these types of irons, the Epic Pro is right up there in ball speed, distance, and slightly better in shot dispersion than the other two hollow body irons mentioned in this thread. The only they're missing is that they don't look like a blade. This is obviously just personal preference, but if I really want irons that look like a blade I'll just play blades.

what else would you include the "players distance iron" category?

i can see how the p790 would fit some people, but i can also see how it could hurt others. i got great ball speeds out of it, but the launch and spin were pretty bad for me and of the irons i tested that day it performed the worst. i have hit it a few times since then with different shafts, and always come away scratching my head because what i experience is so different from others.

i500, ap3, c300 forged, kftb

Aren't they already in pretty solid control of CG when they are customizing the shape of the tungsten insert in each iron like on the Epic line?

I'm probably missing something, but I think just adding a hollow body iron to the lineup just to chase a trend seems pretty silly. Callaway has already incorporated technologies that provide the benefits other manufacturers are getting from a hollow body shape but without using that specific construction style.

From the numbers I've seen comparing these types of irons, the Epic Pro is right up there in ball speed, distance, and slightly better in shot dispersion than the other two hollow body irons mentioned in this thread. The only they're missing is that they don't look like a blade. This is obviously just personal preference, but if I really want irons that look like a blade I'll just play blades.

Heavier weight like tungsten most definitely can help move weight low.
Tungsten can be a pricey proposition, so it has been avoided in some cases. Similar to a few other tech items in manufacturing.

I prefer a face cup over a welded face anyway. But i'm sure robotic welding has improved.

The Xander irons did not look hollow body. But maybe they have a face cup with more mass in the sweet spot. Guess we'll stay tuned.

Back