Would you watch regularly aired 1 on 1 matches?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
With all the hype of Tiger vs Phil, would you be interested in bringing back something like Shell's Wonderful World of Golf?

A scenario where top players are paired against each other in a 1 on 1 winner take all match? It doesn't have to be high stakes, just bragging rights or whatever is negotiated. Imagine this with a new pairing, televised, once a month.

Would you watch?

maybe not once a month. But yeah, as long as I didn't have to use PPV for it.

Probably not.

More often than not they just end up screwing around and not taking it seriously .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure. Once a month would be fine by me.

I would have them ride in carts though, so the match could be around 2 hours. Better for TV that way.

Probably not... it seems like there would be too much 'downtime' to hold my interest.

Once a month? Maybe. Few times a year would be more likely. It would depend on who they got to do them. Are we going to have sound guys walking with the golfers as they walk between shots so we can hear the banter between them? Have to imagine some of those guys would do a pretty decent job of talking trash to one another that could fill the void between actual shots.

As long as it isn't pay per view I would.

definitely. and it would be cool if the competitors were mic'd so we could hear all the trash talk, caddie banter, etc.

Assuming they aren't pay per view, I would probably watch if I wasn't busy.

I would make time to watch Tiger, Rory, Fowler, Hadwin, but I'm not making a point of tuning in for Billy Ho vs Keegan or something.

As long as they aren't pay per view I would watch. Some sort of online streaming or ability to watch online later would also be beneficial.

With all the hype of Tiger vs Phil, would you be interested in bringing back something like Shell's Wonderful World of Golf?

A scenario where top players are paired against each other in a 1 on 1 winner take all match? It doesn't have to be high stakes, just bragging rights or whatever is negotiated. Imagine this with a new pairing, televised, once a month.

Would you watch?

If not PPV, most definitely. If PPV, the chances drop to slim to none.

Sure. Once a month would be fine by me.

I would have them ride in carts though, so the match could be around 2 hours. Better for TV that way.

Yeah, I don't want to wait for them to walk down to their balls and spend 5 minutes each assessing the shot. Not enough action for TV, unless they sped it up somehow.

Maybe if it was just a few times a year it would be entertaining. If it was something pretty regular I'd probably lose interest honestly.

As long as they're not pay per view - Yes. I have no interest in paying for this stuff.

Would depend on who's playing. Probably wouldn't watch often.

I don't know - I think they'd have to be pre-recorded and edited. Because otherwise, there's just so much downtime.

I don't know - I think they'd have to be pre-recorded and edited. Because otherwise, there's just so much downtime.

But think of the commercials!!!!

Seriously though, they’d have to be edited or give the guys carts. Ooohhhh. Race Carts!!!!

I doubt it.

Live? Likely not. Would be a snoozefest between shots.

Pre-Recorded/Edited? Sure.

Let's say pre-recorded, edited, mic'd up. The whole thing would last 90 minutes tops with commercial breaks.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

I find the number of "No, I wouldn't watch" responses a little surprising... With the Ryder Cup coming later in the month, I'd be curious how many of those that responded "no" will be watching the head-to-head matches. Sure, national pride is on the line for the RC, but it's still head to head...why couldn't you do these 1v1 matches in a bracket-style tourney throughout the year, culminating in a "major" event....???

EDIT: The WGC bracket event is one of my favorite events of the year....

That's a fun idea as well!
I find the number of "No, I wouldn't watch" responses a little surprising... With the Ryder Cup coming later in the month, I'd be curious how many of those that responded "no" will be watching the head-to-head matches. Sure, national pride is on the line for the RC, but it's still head to head...why couldn't you do these 1v1 matches in a bracket-style tourney throughout the year, culminating in a "major" event....???

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

EDIT: The WGC bracket event is one of my favorite events of the year....

With Cup matches though, there isn't just one match you have to follow through the entire round. You have 12 matches all going on at the same time so you aren't stuck watching every single thing a single group does from the first tee to the last hole.

And don't the Match play bracket events still have two matches the last day (for first place and third place)?

I think the OP was talking about a single match only, no other matches going on to go to when one match has downtime.

I couldn't tell you shot for shot of any matches I saw, but when I was young I would watch Shell's Wonderful World of Golf a bit with my dad.

All I can say now, if they were miked up and coughing up some dialog, I would probably watch.........at least a few.

Back