The Worst Weather You've Golfed In

32F, 25 mph winds, gusts in excess ... last winter...

February in Delaware. 37 degrees, raining with 20knot wind. No rain gear at the time to speak of. The only time i’ve ever not enjoyed playing golf.

National junior golf tournament at Purdue University Golf Course, West Lafayette, Indiana. It was about 100 humidity.
I've played in 120* temps in the So. Cal desert and it was MUCH more comfortable than that Indiana humidity.

32F, 25 mph winds, gusts in excess ... last winter...

bout like this, except a tad warmer; 38° and a bit gustier.
I was only 1 over after 7 holes with a 14 handicap. I was on fire......until I turned into the wind. 175 yard par 3, hit a easy 3 iron, caught wind and drifted 40 yards right into lateral hazard.

Dumby me could dropped "up there" but pulled a Tin Cup and reTeed. I think the next ball landed on top of the other one. Took a snowman. They cancelled the tournament after my 9th.

It wasn't that cold, but we played an outing in pretty substantial rain. We got totally drenched, but by that point, we kept going since we couldn't get any wetter and just had a good time.

Edit: I forgot about finishing the last two holes of another outing in a hailstorm and having to drive back to the clubhouse while getting pelted.

Playing in the hail sounds insane. Could make it hard to find your ball.

Oh, I've golfed in so many bad conditions here in the dead center of Canada. I've played on xmas day with it as -10C. I've golfed in wind with gusts up to 80km or more. But the possible worst was a torrential downpour, with a huge wind, in our 4 some I believe clubs went flying around 5-6 times as they were too wet to hold onto, lol. And after I had a party at my house and my one buddy was soo sick he asked for a sweater as he was shivering, I brought him a Montreal Canadiens jersey, and he was so sick he never complained and just put it on, lol. He's a huge Flames fan.

Upper 30's with wind and rain is about as bad as it gets. Especially towards the end of the round when it's impossible to keep anything dry.

The most miserable I've been on the course though is a match back in high school. I wasn't smart enough to check the forecast for an away match, and only had a thin sweatshirt in my bag. I also had the bright idea to break in a new pair of shoes that day. It was low 40's with wind, my feet got kind of torn up by the shoes, and I was completely frozen by the time I got back to the clubhouse / bus.

Probably a family reunion a couple years ago where we started the round dry and before we finished 9, it was raining so hard the cups had completely filled with water. They called us in before making the turn.

I have a few rounds in snow and hail. I don’t recommend playing in hail.

2bbcf5ac52a0e82e5b55812d8362eb01.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This spring. 35* and it's poring rain with 30 mph gusts. I stopped playing for almost a month after that.

My family went to Ireland years ago where my Grandparents were born. It was maybe 45/50 degrees the whole time we were there and it rained everyday I think. We played one round at about 40 degrees and pouring rain. We did it because others were out there and we wanted to play a particular course, and that day was our only chance.

Regional Rivalry May 2017. NorCal brought the rain with them. It sucked.

Was playing once in college when a hail storm came up out of nowhere. Of course, we were on the hole farthest from the club house and walking the course. We ducked under some trees for cover. It only lasted a minute or two. I can’t remember if we finished that round or not....

A high school golf match many moons ago. 35 mph wind and driving rain. Felt like I was in Scotland!

Played when a snow squall came through. It dropped heavy wet flakes. They melted pretty quick after the sun came back out but it was interesting being caught in one.
Also played in the typical wind and rain storms. The worst ever being a cold and windy round which really sucks. The cold goes right threw you.

Back in the mid 90's when the ice storm hit the Philly area I remember playing a course where it was in the low 40's and sunny. The course had some sections of fairways that were covered in thick sheets of ice/snow. Most was grass and mud. Some of the greens that didn't get much sun they plowed the snow off of. One of those things when you're in your early 20's that was fun to do at the time.

Played the last of our 4 rounds at Bandon Dunes on Old MacDonald. Was a 7am tee time. I poured myself into bed just before 3am, but that is a different story for a different thread.

It was 42* F when we teed off with probably a 15 mph wind. This was by far the best weather we had the rest of the round. It took turns raining with 30+ mph winds, sleeting and hailing all with winds at least 20 mph. We finished the round and our forecaddie goes "man, you guys are troopers, I have had many groups walk off in way better weather than that".

I personally hadn't considered quitting but I probably had an average of 0.12 BAC for the round. The good news was I felt smart for having a waterproof bag and spending the money on good rain gear (Galvin Green FTW!).

May this year up at Sheringham on the North Norfolk coast for a golf weekend. The course is a links, literally on the cliffs edge.

Saturday was 6°C feeling like 0°C (43°F, 32°F) thanks to 30-35mph wind (coming whistling in off the North Sea - straight outta Tromsø) with very heavy rain, blowing in horizontally, and even the unbelievably well draining links soil couldn't cope with the amount of rain coming down. We had puddles on the greens that never get waterlogged, and all the GoreTex in the world didn't help. Everything was wet and cold and squelching as you walked. Everything.

Sunday was dry and also 6°C, but felt like -2°C (28°F) due to 35-40mph winds (again Arctic in origin). You wouldn't have known that the previous day was so wet, though.

Examples:-

1. I had a clic-gear 3.5 trolley and a cart bag with 12 clubs, an umbrella, a dozen balls, hats, tees, ball markers, pencils, towel etc. so you have an idea of the weight when I tell you that it got blown uphill over 20 yards, a climb of maybe 6 feet, and through the semi rough, not even the fairway. The umbrella wasn't deployed, incidentally. The bag was the only "sail" on this particular vessel.

2. I chipped into the wind, overshooting by 20 feet onto the back fringe. By the time I got to my ball it had been blown back 18 feet for a gimme par. (I know - disgusting cheat) Another in our 4-ball hit it stiff to 3 feet, but by the time he got there, he was 30 feet short, his ball being blown away from the hole...and uphill.

3. One of our group sank a 25 footer after he deliberately (and this was his phrase) "anti-borrowed" - ie aimed low of the hole, and let the wind blow his ball up the slope and into the hole.

Carnoustie last year maybe 30 degrees and constant rain with 25 mph winds all day

This year at the Morgan cup was the worst weather I PLAYED in. Everything was soaked at the close of that round. I’ve been in worse weather but stopped playing.

Played in a monster downpour for more than 50% of a end of league tournament last year. Was miserable. I’d rather golf in 40 degrees and dry than 80 and raining.

Played in a tournament 3 years ago in 39 degrees, pouring rain, 20+ mph winds, and greens stimped at 13 or 14. If you had a downhill, downwind putt, the ball wouldn't stop. They cancelled it after 9 holes. Most miserable few hours of golf I've played in.

The last 9 holes of the Ohio gathering a few years ago was awful. Pouring rain and about 45 degrees.

It wasn't that cold, but we played an outing in pretty substantial rain. We got totally drenched, but by that point, we kept going since we couldn't get any wetter and just had a good time.

Edit: I forgot about finishing the last two holes of another outing in a hailstorm and having to drive back to the clubhouse while getting pelted.
Your post reminded me of another that was actually worse than my very cold week listed the post above.

Another time in Myrtle we played World Tour, temps in the low 40's. Absolutely tolerable but while it wasn't forecasted, it rained on us. Not prepared, I froze my butt off for the rest of the round.

It was actually a worse experience than the week spent in 20° or more colder temps because on those days, at least I was prepared.

Wet, windy and cold is no way to golf!

Sleet and snow in Bandon Oregon.

Back