Club Length Variations

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting conversation with a club builder today about shaft length and the variations that come from amateurs. Pertaining strictly to the driver, it brought up some interesting questions and how length is often overused as a crutch of evil when its not really being measured the same way each time.

Do you grip the club in the exact same spot every time?
Do you stand the exact same distance from the ball every time?
Is the club grounded or hovered in the same location each time?
Do your golf shoes features all of the same spikes?

In his views (although I tend to share them), he brought up the fact that trimming an inch, or a half inch, etc is more of a mental dynamic than physical since the above will change from swing to swing. Now with that said, he made sure I mention that he is not downplaying the idea that length and fitting is important, as is how much of a role the mind plays.

The view was that each of the above could count for a 1/4 inch difference from swing to swing or round to round. Very interesting take and one that makes a lot of sense to me.

Do you grip the club in the exact same spot every time? I try to, but if I don't i'm not far off

Do you stand the exact same distance from the ball every time? The shorter the club the closer i'm standing to the ball

Is the club grounded or hovered in the same location each time? Club is always grounded and in the same spot each time

Do your golf shoes features all of the same spikes? I wear spikeless a majority of the time, but the spiked shoes i do have all have the same spikes.

This is a great thread, all of my lengths are standard. I wonder about this.

Do you grip the club in the exact same spot every time? No, probably not, I like to think I do, but is it exact, definitely not.

Do you stand the exact same distance from the ball every time? No, this is one of the things I can struggle with, I feel like it's similar to alignment, I'm not off by a lot, but I can tell by my shots when I am.

Is the club grounded or hovered in the same location each time? No, definitely no based on turf conditions and tee box conditions this is definitely a variable, I try to align it the same everytime but like the above, it's probably off more than it's on.

Do your golf shoes features all of the same spikes? Hahaha getting close to them all being similar, I prefer spikeless and most of my shoes match now, but some are different and I do have a couple pairs of spikes for really wet weather.

• Admin
So you are borderline exact mike?
How do you know you are standing almost the exact same distance away from the ball each time? I mean we are talking 1/4 of inches here.

My answer is probably no to all of the above, all though I like to think I do. The only exception is probably the shoes, since I wear the same spikeless pair every time. But he brings up an interesting point that I've heard more than once from instructors..."What we (students) think we are doing, and what we actually are doing are often drastically different."

Last edited:
This was actually covered during my last fitting - the fitter suggested that the 1/2" is probably not going to matter so much during the swing itself, but rather what feels "right" at setup. Especially with driver, I've found that the ideal length has been different for me with different head/shaft combos. His take was that finding what felt "right" would lead to more of the things you mentioned falling into place and having less deviation.

Of those, the only thing I would say I do close to the same every time is where I grip the club, and that's because I tend to grip way out at the butt end with every club. The rest I guarantee I'm within the noise.

Interesting discussion

Do you grip the club in the exact same spot every time? I try to. I look at where my hand is on the club as I grip it.

Do you stand the exact same distance from the ball every time? I believe so. My goal is to have 1 hand width with my thumb extended between the butt of the club and my body

Is the club grounded or hovered in the same location each time? This one I think varies on my driver.

Do your golf shoes features all of the same spikes? Yes. I wear Puma spiked shoes and they have the std puma spikes

the fitter suggested that the 1/2" is probably not going to matter so much during the swing itself, but rather what feels "right" at setup. Especially with driver, I've found that the ideal length has been different for me with different head/shaft combos. His take was that finding what felt "right" would lead to more of the things you mentioned falling into place and having less deviation.

My thoughts exactly, proper length club is not the magic solution, but it lessens the variability of the other factors. Allows you to find a more "natural" swing and setup, which makes it more repeatable.

I can tell you the answers to all above questions. No.

I wear different shoes, choke up and down the club, have alignment issues, stand too close/far from the ball, all the time.

I am pretty sure I do not tee the ball up at the same height every time, too.

So, for me, the length discussion does not have too much merit. Although it is easier to hit a shorter club in the center of the clubface.

1.Do you grip the club in the exact same spot every time? Yes I believe I do. My shaft has been shortened and I grip at the same spot every time.
2.Do you stand the exact same distance from the ball every time? No, I think I am the same distance more often than not but not every time.
3. Is the club grounded or hovered in the same location each time? No, I ground the club every time and do a forward press but where the ball is in my stance is not always the same.
4. Do your golf shoes features all of the same spikes? No, I have 5 pair of shoes (1 spike-less, 2 with the same, and 2 with same spikes)

1. I switched to an interlocking grip this summer and it helped a great deal with keeping my hands in position. I also started using alignment marks on the grips to make sure my hands were on the club in the same position. Also the reason I like the Cally adjustable hosel better than some of the others, grips stay the same.

2. This is where I struggle the most with a driver and what I need to get figured out. It's hard to hit the center of the face if you're not standing in the same position every time. I feel like I did better last time I went to the range, I just have to make sure I use the same pre shot routine until it's engrained.

3. Grounded, everytime since I started playing. Hovering just feels to foreign to me.

4. One pair of golf shoes and I use them until they're wore out.

Do you grip the club in the exact same spot every time? I'd like to think so, but I can't be sure. It's not like I'm using an index line on the grip or anything. I do choke down if I'm struggling.

Do you stand the exact same distance from the ball every time? I know for a fact the answer to this is no. This is something I struggle with.

Is the club grounded or hovered in the same location each time? I think so. Usually just inside the first outside turbulator.

Do your golf shoes features all of the same spikes? Actually yes. My two primary pairs of shoes are the same exact shoe in different colors. I haven't played any of my spikeless variants since mid-late summer.

I do my best to grip it in the same place every time, but I'd buy that I have 1/4 inch variations here and there. I know I don't stand exactly the same distance, but it seems pretty close. I'm sure there is variation in my hovering and my different pairs of shoes.

I think my main concern with length is swingweight. The length (45.5") doesn't make me feel like I can't make good contact, but it does change what the club feels like. I'm debating going a little shorter so that it feels a little lighter in the head.

I would say no to all thee above. I like to think I grip it in the same spot every time but I'm sure there is a difference.

Do you grip the club in the exact same spot every time? No. Depends on the ball flight I want and the lie.

Do you stand the exact same distance from the ball every time? Yes, more less. I might stand a little closer with wedges, with my feet closer together or farther apart, again depending on the shot.

Is the club grounded or hovered in the same location each time? Yes. Always grounded. I never hover other than in a hazard.

Do your golf shoes features all of the same spikes? Yes. I'm spikeless 99.9% of the time which makes me slightly shorter than when wearing spiked shoes.

Probably no to all the above - except for the spikes. Wear the same spikeless shoes always. Like to think I could answer yes to all the questions, but as a mid HC golfer, who hasn't been able to practice as much as he would like this past year, that may a bit arrogant.

Do you grip the club in the exact same spot every time? - Yes
Do you stand the exact same distance from the ball every time? - Much as I'd hope to, I'm sure there is a lot of varience here.
Is the club grounded or hovered in the same location each time? - Grounded and always laterally in the same place on the face and I also strive to precisely tee it to the same height. BUT there is certainly varience here too. First the tee boxes aren't all level but that's not really the biggie. I'm sure my posture and amount or lack of forward press varies quite a bit from hole to hole.
Do your golf shoes features all of the same spikes? - Yes
Certainly a thought provoking topic.

the answer for me is, I try. I use a standard length driver and have no issues with it. I do have my irons an inch and 1/4 longer, I am 6'2" if that matters for the length of the shaft. Just more comfortable with the extra.

As much as I try to keep all those things constant I can't. Mental or physical I don't ultimately care I play with a shorter driver shaft because I get better results.

Can honestly say I haven't thought about. For me the more I think about at address the worst my swing seems to get. I try to keep it simple. I am sure a 1/4 is a bigger deal than it sounds but me thinking about that 1/4 inch would lead to more trouble in itself. Interesting thoughts though.

I almost certainly don't grip it in the same place every time. I would guess I'm close, but I honestly pay no attention with my driver (whereas with irons, I'm typically gripping slightly up or down to try to play to a specific distance).

I generally feel like I stand the same distance from the ball, but again, I'm sure I don't and I don't do anything special to try to ensure that I do.

I definitely do not put the club in the same place every time. I would bet I'm pretty consistent, but I don't have a routine in that respect, so I'm sure there are slight changes.

I would bet good money that there are height variations in the two pairs of shoes I usually use (one spikeless and one with spikes).

All that said, I still believe I can find the center of the club face more consistently with a driver that plays to about 45 inches than one a bit longer. Maybe it's mental, but it seems to help me.

Yes I am extremely diligent about this.
Many times when a player goes off track it is because of something simple like this. So it is something that I pay attention to and work on.
Yes as close as possible
Since I only have one pair of shoes - yes

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. That's called paying attention to your setup, you should be doing it every time. Not doing it leads to preventable inconsistencies in your contact.

In his views (although I tend to share them), he brought up the fact that trimming an inch, or a half inch, etc is more of a mental dynamic than physical since the above will change from swing to swing. Now with that said, he made sure I mention that he is not downplaying the idea that length and fitting is important, as is how much of a role the mind plays.

The view was that each of the above could count for a 1/4 inch difference from swing to swing or round to round. Very interesting take and one that makes a lot of sense to me.
That doesn't make sense. You can have 1/4 inch of variance from swing to swing, so cutting an inch off your driver is all in your head? Where did the other 3/4 inch go???

I find it hard to believe that you're arguing that anybody can control a shorter shaft better than a longer one. Whether that additional control is necessary for your game is a personal thing, but I don't think anybody is going to argue that shorter shafts = better control. That's why your wedges are 35-36" long instead of 46"

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. That's called paying attention to your setup, you should be doing it every time. Not doing it leads to preventable inconsistencies in your contact.

That doesn't make sense. You can have 1/4 inch of variance from swing to swing, so cutting an inch off your driver is all in your head? Where did the other 3/4 inch go???

I find it hard to believe that you're arguing that anybody can control a shorter shaft better than a longer one. Whether that additional control is necessary for your game is a personal thing, but I don't think anybody is going to argue that shorter shafts = better control. That's why your wedges are 35-36" long instead of 46"

Nice edit.

I would bet good money that you are not in the exact spot to the quarter inch each time you set up to the ball. Its virtually impossible because it involves hands, feet and everything else about the body being identical every time one tees it up. The body does not work like that.

As to the second part, I don't recall saying anything of the sort.

In fact the sentence immediately following the one you bolded said this exact thing!

And actually that is not solely why wedges are shorter, but okay.

Back