The Worst Weather You've Golfed In

Ft Worth Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
What's the worst weather you ever played in? For me about 8 years ago I wanted to play a full day of golf with one of my best buddies before he moved out of town. We showed up at a muni in Abilene, TX early in the morning and played 40+ holes. The temps were low 30's and there was a light rain falling the entire round. By the time I reached the green on each hole, there would be a sheet of ice on top of my putter that I'd have to knock off.

Played in a monsoon in Arizona...It was funny for a while and then it was just plain ridiculous. Also got caught in a Haboob on the course. Had to sit in a tunnel on the course for over an hour.

40-50 mph winds. We were stuck in an old comfort station/shed in the middle of the course and the storm hit. Had a tree fall just to right of us on the fairway. Pretty crazy.

I played in a Tropical Storm one time, we called every course around before finding the one that was open. Only 9 holes were open, but we had a great time. I got my second eagle on a downwind par 5. I went driver 9 iron to 5 foot.

To date, a thunderstorm - nothing spectacular, but I haven't been playing all that long, either. The weather barely tops 90 here, so I'm spoiled by the "heat" here.

Gasparilla 2016 at Lansbrook with 2 friends. It's in February which is still "cold" for us Floridians.

40 degrees, windy as hell, and not fun to play when you aren't properly layered up. That was a long round haha.

I did also play in a brutal windy round. Not even sure the MPH but it was something insane. The freezing rain round is still the worst for me. Couldn't feel my hands for most of the day.

Something like 40 degrees with 20 mph winds... with a few THP'ers in Napa in December of last year

I once played in 0º C (32º F) while a light snow was falling. There was no wind, so it was bearable. And it turned out to be the final round of the year.

Probably a snow storm that came out of no where, mid Jan and day started nice and got ugly quick. We did finish the front 9 though.

A few come to mind:

- Low 40's, 20+ mph winds, sleet w/ snow mixed in off-and-on throughout the round. Dumb. Just dumb.
- 25-30 mph sustained winds w/ gusts up to 40 mph in Vegas. Not terrible but definitely memorable. I think my lips are still burned three years later.
- Low 50's, 15-20 mph winds, rain all day. We were soaked and cold to our cores. No bueno.

I dont recall the actual temps while playing but I had the misfortune of being in Myrtle Beach in December of 2010 when forecasted high temps were between 18° and 23°.

I played nearly every day so I mustve hit some of that. LOL, I still have the UA Cold Gear and other assorted warm apparel that I bought when there because of the weather. Martin's was a lifesaver for clothing deals.

It wasn't that cold, but we played an outing in pretty substantial rain. We got totally drenched, but by that point, we kept going since we couldn't get any wetter and just had a good time.

Edit: I forgot about finishing the last two holes of another outing in a hailstorm and having to drive back to the clubhouse while getting pelted.

The Worst Weather You've Golfed In

I don’t normally play in the rain unless I’m already on the course or it’s the Morgan Cup singles matches! That rain on Sunday was downright brutal BUT it wasn’t cold and everyone was prepared and playing in those conditions so it actually made it fun and a challenge....especially on the couple greens that had rivers running through them haha. Honestly It’s day I’ll never forget.

Close second was an Ohio gathering a few years ago.

I don’t normally play in the rain unless I’m already on the course or it’s the Morgan Cup singles matches! That rain on Sunday was downright brutal BUT it wasn’t cold and everyone was prepared and playing in those conditions so it actually made it fun and a challenge....especially on the couple greens that had rivers running through them haha. Honestly It’s day I’ll never forget.

Close second was an Ohio gathering a few years ago.

That gathering was rough. Cold, windy and rainy.

Played as a tropical storm was approaching with THP’ers. Never been so drenched on a golf course

I played the Copperhead during TS Colin 2 years ago. Other than one torrential downpour, it really wasn't that bad. I literally had the course to myself the rest of the round, got a highly reduced rate, and a rain check to play again later that week.

I played in a pennants match a couple yrs ago and we had sideways driving rain. They asked us after 9 if we wanted to finish, but we said we are all drenched now we will carry on.
Winter time we normally play anywhere between 0-10°C with wind chill. Also just like yesterday we played in 46kph+ winds.
Unless the greens get flooded we normally get out for a hit.

Cold was never a problem. When I had access I played as much as possible in winter, and I've mostly lived close to the mason-dixon line. It was the main reason I'd get a golf membership, so I could play when the course was otherwise closed. Playing through the winter is part of what kept me sane when I was doing law school in Morgantown. Walking a quick 18 after a final exam on a nice sunny crisp 35F December day was an awesome way to decompress. Maybe with a strong wind and under 10F I'd think twice, but more than that...

I'm over playing in the rain though. Some of the college tournaments I played in were... just miserable. Not only the rain and cold but when the weather would change every other hole so that you are constantly taking off and putting back on a rain jacket, multiple soaked sweaters, and trying to keep the clubs dry during the 6.5 hour round on a disused Robert Trent Jones track featuring 7000 yards of mud and 10 forced carries where for some reason Bluefield State has a guy that shoots 224. (He redeemed himself the second day with a sporty 182, so there is that.)

I've been in worse weather than that, but that is the one I remember.

I played a charity scramble in April a few years back in southern Arizona where it was about 40° but the 25+ mile an hour wind sent the wind chill into the low 20's. The golf ball felt like a rock, it was occasionally sleeting, it was just miserable.

Snow. Because Canada.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

@skibumgolfer and I used to play in some real nasty stuff. 40 degrees, massive wind gusts and raining sideways.

Played in some light rain, nothing too bad out in SoCal. I think there was maybe one time the wind was so bad it really sucked the fun out of it. It turned into a joke really.

Rain so hard it filled up my shoes in Indy a couple years ago lol

Rain in sub 40 temps and not equipped to be in it down in Savannah would be a close second. War Eagle nearly died hahahaha

Back